• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Ive got 1 board on my garage that they live in, and I go out every now and again and go all Mcenroe on them. Its a blast.....

But I think Im going to take that piece of wood down, and replace it as to get rid of them on a more premanent basis.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks everybody for chiming in. Some pretty good stuff here, My little critters are entering below my vinyl siding just above the foundation. I've got Terminex coming tomorrow. Maybe they can get rid of them with out the Flame Thrower... LOL

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Thanks everybody for chiming in. Some pretty good stuff here, My little critters are entering below my vinyl siding just above the foundation. I've got Terminex coming tomorrow. Maybe they can get rid of them with out the Flame Thrower... LOL

Leaf blower and Sevin dust shaken thru the intake. 12ga and #8 dove loads. Sevin in a mustard bottle to blow it into the holes.
    Badminton racket is almost as much fun as the shotgun.

I love it when I shoot one and just the wings come fluttering down.:)

TrentS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Speedway
    They generally prefer unpainted wood. The females burrow in and then turn sideways and lay eggs. The males act all crazy but are totally harmless. The females are docile but carry the fire power. They will chew through caulk. A roofing nail head fits the hole perfect. Shove a nail up in the hole caulk it in and paint when the caulk cures. Don't waste money on treatments. You're last and usually best fix is.......replace the wood. I know it sucks but they usally attack 1x trim boards. Not real expensive but try the roofing nail first. Tennis rackets are fun for a while but it does get old and you don't want tennis elbow.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Would spraying that expanding foam insulator around where the siding and foundation meet, help? I remember during the flooding we had in the greater Nashville area a few years back, our.neighbors used the stuff.to seal up their foundation and crawlspace. Our house was on higher ground and we had a retention pond in the back yard. We were all good. They were swamped though. Bees wouldn't chew that stuff, right?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Never knew what carpenter bees were until we bought our first house in Indy some years ago. They went after the facia on my detatched garage.

Covered the facia [1] with aluminum myself. Problem solved. They can't eat/don't eat through aluminum.

[1] FYI, the facia is the vertical board that covers the end of your rafters. See below:
    SetWidth696-Roofs-Fig-8-3.31.jpg

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Never knew what carpenter bees were until we bought our first house in Indy some years ago. They went after the facia on my detatched garage.

Covered the facia [1] with aluminum myself. Problem solved. They can't eat/don't eat through aluminum.

[1] FYI, the facia is the vertical board that covers the end of your rafters. See below:
    View attachment 20816

Covering is the Best Final Solution. I tired of the War on Bees and they had more free time than I did :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got 18 of the bastards today. 45 Colt Ruger single action loaded with Red Dot and rice. Did drive bys while mowing the lawn.

Don

Nice! What's the trick to loading the rice/keeping it in the casing? Wax? Paper? And how loud is the report? I'd love to be able to sit on my deck with a .22 revolver and shot shells, but I'm not sure my neighbors would be too crazy about it. Squirting them with wasp and hornet spray isn't nearly as satisfying, and it makes a mess. I just had to fill some of the holes they've drilled in my deck rafters the other day.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I don't fill in the holes. I just put some Drione powder in them that kills bees in the hole then any hatched eggs. If you leave the holes open, it invites bees back (they are lazy squatters) and the remaining Drione will kill the new squatters.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    They have a special spray just for carpenter bees. Lowes carries it. Kills em better than wasp spray.

I ripped a section of aluminum off my garage door frame. They love it in there. I wrapped it and then a month later drove thru and ripped it off again. Now I just kill the bees because I am too lazy to bring the brake over.

Might look into building one of those traps that Camera Monkey showed. Then I can take it to jobsites once I finish wrapping the garage again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They have a special spray just for carpenter bees. Lowes carries it. Kills em better than wasp spray.

I ripped a section of aluminum off my garage door frame. They love it in there. I wrapped it and then a month later drove thru and ripped it off again. Now I just kill the bees because I am too lazy to bring the brake over.

Might look into building one of those traps that Camera Monkey showed. Then I can take it to jobsites once I finish wrapping the garage again.

Ah, I didn't know that. I'd noticed that while the wasp spray does work, it sure doesn't knock them down very quick. Still won't be as much fun as shooting them would be. :): I haven't seen any back for a couple of days, so I don't think I have a major population at least.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That would be interesting to me. I assume it leaves no mess?

No mess. Other than dead bees on the ground. Works great on wasps as well. Just make sure you dont get any spray in your eyes(burns like he**) and if you have any plants/flowers try and avoid hitting them as well

Top Bottom