Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Why wait? We have a match on Wednesday.

1. Hi Coach!
    2. Appreciate the encouragement, but timing being what it is, with Wed. teacher's meeting, running home to get gun and ammo (can't be in my car on campus), and getting over there in time would be too tight, and I'm not even sure how late it goes.
    3. I already have my Monday and Tuesday evenings scheduled and that is not going to let up soon, and things just get more hectic as school end gets closer (14 weeks and counting).
    4. I'll see you this summer after I get back from a cruise around the world. :rofl:(Yes, that was dry humor!)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    A very good article. Having run through and destroyed 3 XD pistols before the cms was out I only question his choice of pistol.

I have competed in all of these matches with my actual carry gun. I have also shot Production with it all winter as well. Both matches are helping me improve with it.

I forwarded the article because of the root value to me and perhaps some other shooters that enjoy playing in the shooting sports arena. As a shooter who was competing with handguns long before we had USPSA and other associations, the article took me back on a nostalgic ride. USPSA has given us a great platform that has bred perfection in much of the equipment that we use and recognize in so many divisions today. This has been great for the Industry and the growth of diversified shooters everywhere.

IDPA took a step in the street direction but I witness many of the competitors racing equipment that they do not wear on the street as well. It is still a fun and rewarding value to shoot however. Unfortunate that gone is Tactical Sequence because many could not understand the value of single Tap shooting, nor should they, if they play with smaller calibers. In all the games, we officiate and a missed finger call or score value mistake may change the competitors place, the street may not be so forgiving.

Yes, some of you might not know that I raced Open, Limited, Limited 10 in USPSA, Radical revolvers in ICORE, built and raced many Bianchi open guns and even built custom XP100 in oddball calibers for IHMSA. In pistol I handloaded and raced 9mm, .356TSW, .38 Super, .357Maximum, and .40 S&W (3 Times) to name a few. I had terminator holsters and all the guns to go with them. Tangfos, SWPC, CZ’s, Compensators, big sticks, optics and too many others that I played with. Did I have fun? Yes. Am I happy we had a venue in USPSA to help me scratch that itch? Yes.

Many years ago I started competing with my street guns and equipment except for my Model 41 S&W that I use for NRA Precision Pistol. Gone are the sub 2# trigger pulls and quick release offset rigs that help us gather more points. I still use a few Blade Tech holsters once in awhile but rarely on the street.

When Single Stack as a provisional division was introduced I was hopeful it was to be more restrictive in equipment and in round count to be closer to street fighting but it wasnÂ’t to be. Borrowing stages from my low round count training modules and restricting equipment specific stages, the 191145 Club is the closest I can get to basic pistol skills that one might need on the street. I train the same way with JFrame, Micro Pistols, Pump Shotguns, Revolvers and Rifle. I should point out though that for my Carbines and Rifle stages, I do not employ defensive pistol courses.

Don’t take me wrong. I love the games. I Play as many as I can, whenever I can. I just lean toward basic equipment. I wear my guns to and from the match and my shooting bag is minimal. However, when the appendix in equipment rules are wide, the round count favors prosperity in shooter turn out, and a shooter can go through the same course of fire twice by shooting 2 different flights, we enjoy being a contender in a game that is getting way past practical.

None of this is good or bad. It is just what it is. A game that each of us can take away our own rewards from our efforts put forth that day. The take away is not always where you placed, but how you did it and what you got out of it. Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want. What’s your better?

Last edited:

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    For USPSA I have to carry more mags than I carry on the street to get to the round count, and often start with an 8 or 10 instead of a 7 to time the changes better for the competition, but I still use the carry gun in the EDC holster. For these carry gun matches I can use my EDC setup exactly.

Edit to add: I know I'd place better if I ran a full-size hi-cap, but I've never finished last so I must be doing something right. :-)

PS: I'm in.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1. Hi Coach!
    2. Appreciate the encouragement, but timing being what it is, with Wed. teacher's meeting, running home to get gun and ammo (can't be in my car on campus), and getting over there in time would be too tight, and I'm not even sure how late it goes.
    3. I already have my Monday and Tuesday evenings scheduled and that is not going to let up soon, and things just get more hectic as school end gets closer (14 weeks and counting).
    4. I'll see you this summer after I get back from a cruise around the world. :rofl:(Yes, that was dry humor!)

I understand. Be glad to have you any time you can make it.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    For the CG match, how many mags should a shooter carry on their belt? Is it okay to have the pistol inside the waistband and mags outside?
    Thanks.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    IWB/OWB/pocket are all good, as long as it's concealed. (For mags--holster in pocket is not allowed.)

Typically stages don't run more than 18 rounds, so that's 3 mags at 6 each. You can stuff an extra in a pocket in case you need it.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    IWB/OWB/pocket are all good, as long as it's concealed. (For mags--holster in pocket is not allowed.)

Typically stages don't run more than 18 rounds, so that's 3 mags at 6 each. You can stuff an extra in a pocket in case you need it.

Only stuff 6 if you are gaming a carry gun match

I believe this Match has no mandatory reloads after 6 rounds.

Normal match is mandatory reload after 6 shots

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    Anyone trying to sell a spot lost minute? Didn't see this go up until just now and reg is full but would love to shoot tonight if its open to public!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Excellent Carry Gun Match again at Parabellum. Challenging stages with a lot of movement, one was like backing out of a long hallway. Thanks Coach!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for coming everyone. We have a defensive Pistol class in March at Parabellum if you or someone you know is interested. Also Outdoor carry gun at Riley on March 16.

Top Bottom