• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    The A/B/C/D/M columns are number of hits in that zone, or misses. I think the NPM and NS columns are for procedural penalties and no-shoots, but they seem to just use the "miss" column for that. (Same penalty, but I think it's confusing when you look at the scores later.) Carry gun scores everybody minor, 5/3/3/1/-10.
    Time is self-explanatory.

HF is hit factor, points divided by time. This is what you're ranked based on.

Stage points are calculated based on a percentage of your hit factor compared to the highest. Stage points are usually the total points available for the stage. Example: on a 20-shot stage that's 100 points. If highest HF is 4, then he gets 100 stage points. If your HF was 2 you get 50 SP, if it was 3 you get 75.

Overall ranking is based on total stage points.

I've not found columns like percentage or time to mean anything on the overall list, but looking at the individual stage results is interesting. Click on show/hide options at the top and use the pull-downs to choose.
    If you click on your name you can see your individual stage ranks for overall or your division (limited/open, the default is division).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The A/B/C/D/M columns are number of hits in that zone, or misses. I think the NPM and NS columns are for procedural penalties and no-shoots, but they seem to just use the "miss" column for that. (Same penalty, but I think it's confusing when you look at the scores later.) Carry gun scores everybody minor, 5/3/3/1/-10.

Stage points are calculated based on a percentage of your hit factor compared to the highest. Stage points are usually the total points available for the stage. Example: on a 20-shot stage that's 100 points. If highest HF is 4, then he gets 100 stage points. If your HF was 2 you get 50 SP, if it was 3 you get 75.

I've not found columns like percentage or time to mean anything on the overall list, but looking at the individual stage results is interesting. Click on show/hide options at the top and use the pull-downs to choose.
    If you click on your name you can see your individual stage ranks for overall or your division (limited/open, the default is division).

1. Wow! That's alot of information: appreciate the time! :thumbsup:
    2. I'll read it over a few times, then try to apply it when I have time.
    3. It will give me a basis for knowing what questions to ask, I'm sure, when I have time to go over this.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I had questions, but there were going to be too many elementary ones b/c things like "HF" and "stage points" I didn't even see on the chart, and I have no frame of reference of previous knowledge to hang new info on (psychological schemata) for it to make sense to me w/o wrongly interpreting the info.
    2. Probably talking to someone face to face will make it come clear where they can fill in the gaps in my brain. :)
    3. Just another area where I've had no exposure in the gun world. :dunno:
    4. Like most things, I'm sure it is very simple once you "get it."

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    1. I had questions, but there were going to be too many elementary ones b/c things like "HF" and "stage points" I didn't even see on the chart, and I have no frame of reference of previous knowledge to hang new info on (psychological schemata) for it to make sense to me w/o wrongly interpreting the info.
    2. Probably talking to someone face to face will make it come clear where they can fill in the gaps in my brain. :)
    3. Just another area where I've had no exposure in the gun world. :dunno:
    4. Like most things, I'm sure it is very simple once you "get it."

You don't have to know all the in and outs of the scoring to shoot the matches.
    Just show up and be safe and have fun.
    I know a few shooters that have been doing this for years that still don't know the scoring.
    After shoot a match or two if you have any questions then start a thread here and everyone will try to answer your questions.

Here is a post I did a few years back that explains it a little more. Again don't get caught up in knowing the scoring just shoot and enjoy.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ng-dummies-long-post.html?377375=#post5716458

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    It's best if you look from a real computer. It's a lot of scrolling sideways to see all the columns on a phone.

What I find most interesting is to compare my hits and times on each stage with people ahead/behind me. Usually the people ahead of me have slightly worse hits, but enough faster to have a better HF. And many behind me are faster, but with worse hits.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hit factor is nice because it you have the hits and the speed. The shots are not that hard until you try and do them fast.

A few people had a faster overall time than me last night but did not win.

Some stages are bigger than others. Win the big ones.

Stage 7 was only 5 points so it did not matter much.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You don't have to know all the in and outs of the scoring to shoot the matches.
    Just show up and be safe and have fun.
    I know a few shooters that have been doing this for years that still don't know the scoring.
    After shoot a match or two if you have any questions then start a thread here and everyone will try to answer your questions.

Here is a post I did a few years back that explains it a little more. Again don't get caught up in knowing the scoring just shoot and enjoy.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ng-dummies-long-post.html?377375=#post5716458

1. Thanks so much for your posting this, Bosshoss. :thumbsup:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Hit factor is nice because it you have the hits and the speed. The shots are not that hard until you try and do them fast.

A few people had a faster overall time than me last night but did not win.

Some stages are bigger than others. Win the big ones.

Stage 7 was only 5 points so it did not matter much.

This is the challenge. I have spent alot of time over the years learning how to shoot accurately and while I feel I do pretty good speed wise, I am having the hardest time being really fast and it definitely takes both to win. but if I don't win or even place near the top it's always have a good time and am glad I went.

Also, not only are the carry gun matches good practical work with your carry piece and equipment, they are a good primer for USPSA and other competitions. :twocents:

Coach, you do a great job with these and thank you for putting them on it makes the winter bearable :)

Top Bottom