• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Effective immediately, patrons may bring a handgun onto library property or into a library, but only if they provide a valid permit. Any person carrying firearms must provide proof of license upon request to library personnel.
    From that article:
    Not allowed to ban guns, library sets down limits | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN

This appears to also be in violation of the new IC. Local governments may not regulate AT ALL. Meaning: NO LAWS, ORDINANCES, or POLICIES. In my humble opinion, this policy would simply open them up to legal issues. They would be best served to simply drop it.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think it is 100% their right to do so. My understanding is that libraries are technically the private property of the library foundation.

Nevertheless, if I am on someone else's property and they ask to see my LTCH as a condition of me being on their property, I would be glad to do so.

From that article:
    Not allowed to ban guns, library sets down limits | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN
    Effective immediately, patrons may bring a handgun onto library property or into a library, but only if they provide a valid permit. Any person carrying firearms must provide proof of license upon request to library personnel.
    This appears to also be in violation of the new IC. Local governments may not regulate AT ALL. Meaning: NO LAWS, ORDINANCES, or POLICIES. In my humble opinion, this policy would simply open them up to legal issues. They would be best served to simply drop it.
    I disagree. They are enforcing the law on their property by way of policy. Even if I am wrong about it being "private property," I still think that their policy is in accord with the law. IC currently prohibits brandishing a handgun in a threatening manner (so does the policy) and also requires a LTCH in order to carry a handgun off of your own property (as does the policy).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think it is 100% their right to do so. My understanding is that libraries are technically the private property of the library foundation.
    Actually, they are part of the state/county government. Funded by state and local property taxes (primarily). The board is appointed by state and local elected officials. As such, they are "public" property, just like parks. They are absolutely a "political subdivision" as per IC. Give me a while, and I might be able to find the relevant codes.

The only entity that can demand your LTCH is Law enforcement.

The only part of the quoted policy that I don't believe lines up with the new law is the "must provide proof of license". IC does not require that (unless asked by LE), so the library staff can't, either. :twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Alrighty, here we go:

Indiana Code 36-12-1
    IC 36-12-1-5
    "Public library"
    Sec. 5. "Public library" means a municipal corporation that:
    (1) provides library services; and
    (2) is organized under:
    (A) IC 36-12-2;
    (B) IC 36-12-4;
    (C) IC 36-12-5;
    (D) IC 36-12-6; or
    (E) IC 36-12-7.

The rest of IC 36-12 deals with how libraries are formed and managed. No question that they are a political subdivision. As such, they can be no more restrictive than IC.

Yes, I suppose there can also be private libraries, and they would not be restricted by this new law. I don't know of very many private libraries, though.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    IC 35-47-4-3 prohibits pointing a firearm at someone, but there isn't one against "brandishing" specifically. Doing anything (including brandishing a handgun) in a threatening manner can fall under IC 35-45-2-1, which prohibits intimidation.

Thanks for the code, eldirector.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Surprised no one's asked about carrying at the Helmke Library on the IPFW campus. Just sayin ...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wait a minute.... I just realized who that was!

Bahahaha....... An OC event would be a hoot, though likely against University policy. I'm sure the OC-ers would be asked to leave pretty quickly.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Or Mexican carry a big old revolver
    and look for a book on holsters.
    But, this isn't where I thought my
    thread would go.

Thanks

Mark

The Troll who lives under the
    bridge downstream from the
    Cherry Hill dam

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Was it simply "against the rules" or was there a penalty associated with carrying in the Allen County Public Libraries? I knew about the Fort Wayne City Parks $2400 fine via ordinance...but not the libraries.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom