• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This has been a good thread for me. I have never carried pepper spray and frankly didn't really think about it.

I going to start. I really, really don't want to kill anyone but if I have to, I will. But my goal in any violent encounter is to get away. If a shot of pepper spray will incapacitate someone long enough for me to get away, that works for me.

The first guy's video made a lot of sense to me.

Thanks BW!

Any suggestions on which SabreRed to buy?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It's never a good idea to insert yourself into that situation PERIOD. Get into a tussle with "her man," and you are likely going to wind up being the target of 2 attackers.

I completely agree. You really should work out ahead of time when you're willing to step in and when you aren't. But sometimes you just find yourself in the middle of something.

Here's a perfect example of a domestic happening in a public place. If you're the guy in the waiting room when this pops off, blessing the DB with the hot sauce would have likely ended the situation much sooner.

[video=youtube_share;cT6BkAW6Xow]http://youtu.be/cT6BkAW6Xow[/video]

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    In my experience pepper spray just makes your opponent angrier and more aggressive, albeit somewhat blind. I carry it at work because it's required, but I don't use it anymore.

Conversely, if the goal is to spray someone and remove yourself from the situation quickly, then I can see it being somewhat effective. Personally, I still wouldn't bother.

If you're going to use it, prepare for getting it on yourself also... because you will.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's never a good idea to insert yourself into that situation PERIOD. Get into a tussle with "her man," and you are likely going to wind up being the target of 2 attackers.

Not to mention, once all is said and done the female half is not likely going to back you up when the police arrive. She's going to side with the man that was battering her and you're likely to end up getting arrested for battering him.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Not to mention, once all is said and done the female half is not likely going to back you up when the police arrive. She's going to side with the man that was battering her and you're likely to end up getting arrested for battering him.

Anything battered is better with hot sauce.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can't just shoot people for approaching and punching people wearing red hats. My money says that that sort of person doesn't "fight through" the pepper spray?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A non-lethal option is seldom considered. It's better to have it than wish you did?

You just can't shoot aggressive pan handlers or political thugs that might harm you while in your face.

True

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Pepper spray calms down an aggressive dog. Have little faith it would stop an angry dog.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Pepper spray calms down an aggressive dog. Have little faith it would stop an angry dog.

Yup, dogs are what I've carried it for. I've ran in to several that are aggressive enough I want them to go away, but not so aggressive they need a lethal solution.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My girls aren't much interested in guns so I buy them new pepper spray canisters every couple of years.

Same for my wife. I asked her the other night if I ordered her one, if she’d carry it. “Yes!” She said...so, I’ve got a couple on the way + an inert can for training.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Same for my wife. I asked her the other night if I ordered her one, if she’d carry it. “Yes!” She said...so, I’ve got a couple on the way + an inert can for training.

This is what I'm going to try with my wife and daughter. Neither will consider a firearm. At least this could give them a fighting chance.

Which pepper sprays did you order?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is what I'm going to try with my wife and daughter. Neither will consider a firearm. At least this could give them a fighting chance.

Which pepper sprays did you order?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C44824/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^^^^^ this one. Mostly because it seemed to be favored by those in this thread that seemed to know what they were talking about and this one says you can spray it from angles other than basically vertical. (I figure that could be advantageous :) )

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks. I see they have a "small" so I might see if the girls are interested.

I'll probably buy one also.

If you're looking for something for the ladies in your life POM OC sprays makes a canister that's smaller and "cuter." The caninster body comes in either white, grey or black, and they have 7 different colored bands you can pick from.

They come with either a pocket clip or key ring attachment.

https://get-pom.com/

ISP3435

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    I agree with Sabre red. I also have a party sized one attached to the back side of my front door. Handy spot for a quick grab.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you're looking for something for the ladies in your life POM OC sprays makes a canister that's smaller and "cuter." The caninster body comes in either white, grey or black, and they have 7 different colored bands you can pick from.

They come with either a pocket clip or key ring attachment.

https://get-pom.com/

To ensure they actually get carried, I like the asp palm defender. I'm sure it carries a smaller payload, but it's much slimmer than everything else I've seen. The wifes has accidentally made its way through TSA a couple time from what I hear.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something to remember about pepper spray is that it alone is not THE solution. "Arming" those gentler one's in your life with pepper spray is not the whole fix.

Training is important to compliment the repellent. As mentioned above, pepper spray does not work effectively all the time. It is also often slow to take effect. Slow enough that even an effected determined attacker can still go hands on. They don't need to see you to kill you, when they have hands on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Something to remember about pepper spray is that it alone is not THE solution. "Arming" those gentler one's in your life with pepper spray is not the whole fix.

Training is important to compliment the repellent. As mentioned above, pepper spray does not work effectively all the time. It is also often slow to take effect. Slow enough that even an effected determined attacker can still go hands on. They don't need to see you to kill you, when they have hands on.

This. Teach them to apply and get off the X. Dont be the last place they saw you. And if you have to give verbal commands, move again.

If you spray me and I still get my hands on you, I can still try to pummel you blindly. Dont let the bad guy get to you or know where you are by sound.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Also not to lose track of the fact that the sprayer will also very likely get at least a minor dose themselves. Hands get over-spray and blow-back to go along with particulates in the air. Hands then touch face and here we go...

Top Bottom