Carry/Shooter matched set: How close is close enough for you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The keeping one cleaned, lubed and ready is kind of a mute point for me. 99% of my range time is just over 50 yards from my back door. So after range time, I just walk back in the house and clean it. Lucky me.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    One is none.

It could turn into it very quickly and easily. I have tried to explain this to people I know with only one firearm. If it is seized, or if you have to send it back for repairs...then what are you going to have? None.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have multiples sorta. Multiple glocks not all of them the same gen but close enough. I never shoot the gun I'm carrying at the range. If I want to shoot my carry gun I carry a different gun. I tried that recently and felt naked not having a loaded gun on me at all times.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have multiples sorta. Multiple glocks not all of them the same gen but close enough. I never shoot the gun I'm carrying at the range. If I want to shoot my carry gun I carry a different gun. I tried that recently and felt naked not having a loaded gun on me at all times.

This is a true statement, and if I am going to shoot one of my primary carry guns, I make sure and carry another (shooting my M&P 2.0 Compact at the range that day, then the Glock 43 get's carried to the range in it's holster or vice versa). I'm not interested in being anywhere, much less at a range or elsewhere without a loaded carry gun, in it's holster at the ready.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have multiples on the g19 (3 total). 2 are identical with trijicon Hd's orange, extended slide stops, and some vickers parts. The 3rd one is stock I think im just a hoarder at this point because im similiar on g17's also. Or just one of those evil NRA people.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

This is a true statement, and if I am going to shoot one of my primary carry guns, I make sure and carry another (shooting my M&P 2.0 Compact at the range that day, then the Glock 43 get's carried to the range in it's holster or vice versa). I'm not interested in being anywhere, much less at a range or elsewhere without a loaded carry gun, in it's holster at the ready.

Two wise individuals.

This is a good time to do one of my public service reminders: the shooting range is not your safe space. Not everyone who who could be there is a good, honest, and honorable person. Not everyone who could be there is law abiding. Almost everyone there is armed. People have been purposely targeted while shooting until they were finished, then robbed (and in some cases murdered as in the case of Matix and Platt in the mid 1980s). Vehicles get burglarized at ranges. Be aware and be careful.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I never leave a loaded weapon on the firing line, nor do I go downrange without a loaded firearm. I know that leaving it unloaded doesn’t do much, but I’m not going to make it easy. I mostly shoot at a private range with close friends, rarely at a public range, but...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have multiples on the g19 (3 total). 2 are identical with trijicon Hd's orange, extended slide stops, and some vickers parts. The 3rd one is stock I think im just a hoarder at this point because im similiar on g17's also.

Everyone needs a pillowcaseful of Glocks, even if they prefer other guns. It's just good planning.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I never leave a loaded weapon on the firing line, nor do I go downrange without a loaded firearm. I know that leaving it unloaded doesn’t do much, but I’m not going to make it easy. I mostly shoot at a private range with close friends, rarely at a public range, but...

I usually am shooting at a private club (gated) as well, and still stick to always carrying a loaded gun in holster, and keep my head on a swivel. No Chris Kyle endings for me hopefully.

Those days way back before Atterbury got organized are still burned in my memories. That could be a scary place.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I had "range" mags and "carry" mags back when I shot idpa and uspsa- never bothered me to drop or step on one during a run .
    Never did the duplicate pistol thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Gross. Who would want even ONE Glock - let alone multiple? Sheesh.

watching-you.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Years ago, when I got serious about shooting and all things related, I remember rhino was kinda "out there" with his wild ideas. :rolleyes:

Carry 24/7???
    Backups for backups???
    Never have an empty gun on you at the range???

Crazy I tell you, just crazy...

Thanks rhino! ;)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Years ago, when I got serious about shooting and all things related, I remember rhino was kinda "out there" with his wild ideas. :rolleyes:

Carry 24/7???
    Backups for backups???
    Never have an empty gun on you at the range???

Crazy I tell you, just crazy...

Thanks rhino! ;)

The mighty rhino has been my hero since day 1 ! :rockwoot:

I have a faithful trio of Glock .40's (pictured below), plus a 9 mm in my pillowcase. With some conversion barrels, there are lots of close duplicates in case one is taken, or goes down.

i-Tjj2LpD-L.jpg

Last edited:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Similar function is enough for me. Striker-fired, no safety, but whether that's a Glock, Shield or Kahr I don't care.

Those days way back before Atterbury got organized are still burned in my memories. That could be a scary place.
    OMG! Yes! My friend and I once saw some numbnutz shoot himself with a ricochet from an SKS he was firing on the pistol range. We'd been shooting pistols, but bailed as soon as we saw him walk up with that thing and were back at the car when he shot himself. My friend was an EMT and had to help the idiot until EMS arrived.

Top Bottom