Carry/Shooter matched set: How close is close enough for you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I ended up ordering another Phantom trigger for my spare G30sf. That one will be a 99% duplicate of the first, with the main difference being the first having standard Glock factory night sights and the clone having a set of Ameriglo Spartan Operators, which I've really come to like. I'm going to keep an eye open for a police trade in Gen 4 G23 and will eventually build a dupe of my current Gen 4.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a near identical duplicate of my EDC that I put in my GHB. FS M&P 1.0 in 9mm. Has close to the same sights, just a different color. I do not mod anything else, besides a laser on both. I have a third sitting elsewhere wearing standard sights and no laser.

My problem is that I find myself unloading my carry gun and using it, rather than grab the one from the bag. I know it is frowned upon to shoot my carry as I could wear something or break something. Maybe I will start swapping out with the back-up instead.

I try to always practice drawing from my CC holster so I do not keep the spare in there. I always have a loaded gun close, but not in the holster. I rarely go to indoor ranges as I am not comfortable with the other people walking around me.

Now I have a situation with changing EDC guns. In my case it will be the same platform. I really like the way the M&P 2.0 series looks and feels. I am even considering dropping down to the 2.0 compact. I do not think this will be as much of an issue as going back to my S&W 3rd gen guns. But if I do it then I have to get new sights and CT laser for it. Now I am dumping more money into a back-up gun that I could use for ammo and another class.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe its not a problem until you start buying thirds so you don't wear your backup out. Or, buy a 4th because you might wear your third spare out and need to use your second spare. I'm getting ready to grab a third P10C for no good reason other than having a third somehow makes me feel better than having just two of them.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Maybe its not a problem until you start buying thirds so you don't wear your backup out. Or, buy a 4th because you might wear your third spare out and need to use your second spare. I'm getting ready to grab a third P10C for no good reason other than having a third somehow makes me feel better than having just two of them.

Just did the same on a 3rd M&p compact 2.0 that came available for a good price... Seems I'm in good company.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I haven't intentionally purchased duplacate guns for a clone of EDC to have as a range gun, but I've basically ended up with having a duplicate or two accessible. I do however have similar pistols "re-purposed" which could be thrown into the carry rotation if need be. I don't typically have safe queens, but if I can re-purpose my old duty gun into another gun tactically positioned around the house or in a vehicle I'll keep it loaded and ready to go. I also don't typically sell guns either, I find other ways for them to be useful (with a few select examples which are sitting in the safe).

I'm actually kind of boring when it comes to handguns in that I typically don't modify them too much. I've carried stock Glocks both personally and professionally for long enough that as long as they have a good three dot night sight setup I don't get too wrapped around the axle about what brand or specific color package they are. I also EDC 1911s and any of mine that I'm going to carry have a good three dot night sight setup.

I guess I have some fairly similar setups around that if need be can replace my EDC. If I have to use them though, the last thing on my mind is going to be weather the sights are Trijicon versus TruGlo, or if I have a minus connector or standard connector, or if I'm carrying my 1911 with a 4lb versus 5lb trigger pull. I've trained with them all enough to be able to make them go bang when I want and put the rounds where I want without actually consciously thinking about how I made it happen. That might sound like a weird concept to most people, but if you've ever gone through any kind of realistic training the last thing on your mind is whether or not your stock trigger felt mushy versus had a nice clean crisp break; you only care if the rounds made the threat become not a threat.

Top Bottom