• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Please explain to me how carrying the Kahr for carry-testing is more dangerous for me than leaving it at home. And then, tell my why you care so much about me doing it that start a whole thread to pick at it.

I'm not carrying any gun as a talisman. Guns are tools for the defense of myself and my family and friends. Please tell how I'm going terribly wrong.

Personally I would carry the PF-9 until I have proven out the Kahr.
    Carrying an untested gun is a gamble. As has been pointed out, if you feel the need for a BUG, you should also feel the need to make sure it works for you.:twocents:

basswizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Indy West
    Never carry without testing weapon and specific ammo.

A friend purchased NIB 9mm and had all sorts of issues. Returned to vendor and exchanged for same model different gun. No problems.

Why trust your loved ones and your lives to an untested weapon?

JMHO

Last edited:

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Whenever I get a new gun, I drive immediately to the range and put a minumum of 100 rounds through it, 200 if I have the money these days. Then oil it the way I like it oiled with the oil I like to use. Wouldn't trust it any other way.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I'm still counting, and asking people in the shop.. This weekend ought to really brings the numbers in...

FYI..... Don't ask Vietnam Veteran about carrying an unfired gun... PERIOD. It doesn't go well. I wish I could have recorded my VA hospital responses to this situation..

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I can't imagine owning a gun and not ever firing it.
    Isn't that what they're for?

IMO, it's an extremely bad idea to not have extensive experience with your particular carry gun before you decide to drag it around with you.
    Ever have trouble getting the feel for a new make/model/caliber pistol? Not something you want to 'figure out' in a life and death situation.

I accept that a snub-nose .38 is a snub-nose .38 is a snub-nose .38, but are you really not going to try yours out first?

I put 1000 rounds through my G30 before I put it in a holster on my hip. (granted, that was done in a day or two)
    I don't own any guns that I haven't put at least 200 rounds through on a range, and I don't get to go shooting all that often.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I always shoot a gun before carrying it. A buddy bought a Keltec .32 & carried it for about a month w/out shooting it. I finally talked him into to going to the range & it jammed after the 1st shot. That POS jammed on every round. He traded it off.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    So it's been quite a while, and I'd like to report I am still getting a number of people who are buying and carrying their guns unfired.. Most common reason is they don't have time to get to the range. I still urge people to get out there a learn the guns they're carrying. Anyone else been seeing this still or heard a legitimate reason that one would do this?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I personaly do not anyone who has bought a gun, and never fired it before carrying it. I always field strip a new gun and clean out any grease, and run a bore snake through the barrel. That way I can check for anything that looks out of place, broken, etc. I then run at least 100 rounds of FMJ, and then some hollow points. I have hollow points that I use for carry. I also have other brands that I have for back up. I fire then all to make sure they will function properly. To me someone saying they do not have the time to test fire a gun, is well crazy. I realize yes some people are busy, or maybe they only have one gun. Still that's no excuse. Not when your life may depend on it. Those same people probably test drive a car before they buy it, but will not test a gun before they carry it. Ask a police officer, or someone in the Military if they carry a weapon before test firing it. Yes I know they have a better chance of using their wepon. Still you should always test fire a gun before carrying, keep it clean, and practice often. My :twocents:

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    all my guns are fired just for the pure reason of it being enjoyable. c'mon. we're all gun nuts. you know what i mean. even if you didnt fire it with the intention of breaking it in, how could you not fire just for the enjoyment?

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I recently bought a new G17 to replace my daily carry P90, last weekend I ran 350rds then started carrying it this week. Yesterday I started carrying with one in the tube, I was unsure about the Glock saftey now my worries are laid to rest. It would have been irresponsable of me to carry that glock without firing it.

I wouldn't have known that I was slightly pulling the firearm down when I was pulling the trigger, or that my thumb was unable to press the side release without a fumble making a mag change too slow. I corrected those issues and now feel if put in a stressful situation I would respond without error. Snap caps help with training but should not a substitute to actual range time.

I don't care if you carry a Jennings J-22 or a custom 1911 race pistol shoot that firearm first before you decide to carry!

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've never carried a gun without testing out first, and don't know anyone who doesn't. They're mechanical devices made by human beings, and sometimes guns leave the factory that never should have. Some guns I've owned worked 100% right out of the box. Some have not. One recent purchase (a Ruger SP101, with a sterling rep for reliability), failed right out of box, hitting light strikes 3 out of 5 times. Would have been very embarrassing in a self defense situation.

kramnor54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    i do own several guns that i have nevered fired but only the ones ive put away for future collecting all guns that icarry have been thoroughly fired cleaned broken down and fired again after all i`m trusting them with my life

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I have a friend who bought a used Glock 22 and filled the mags with target ammo and shoved it in his closet. Luckily, he has me as a friend.

I forced him to come to the range with me where we fed 200 rounds through it. I bought him a box of good HP's and tried a mag of those through it. I even offer to clean it for him everytime I clean one of my guns.

He can't shoot for anything and refuses to heed my advice and my offers to train him. He couldn't even keep half the rounds on the paper at 10 yards, but atleast I know it'll work for him if a very large, slow-moving BUG ever breaks into his home.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Guns are like people.

You have to be around them and interact with them awhile before you figure out if they're reliable or not.

With the 1911's I'm so fond of, every once in awhile, an extractor won't be tensioned from the factory. You can test it at home, but shooting is the real test to make sure it works correctly. Until then, you just think it works.

LEO IN TRAINING

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    wheatfield, indiana
    i agree...you have to see if you are comfortable handling and discharging the weapon you carry...and some mags to not work well unless they are broke in...springs are tight and get hung up...never would i carry a unfired weapon, another thread should be how long do you go without cleaning your carry weapon around ten days for me....

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I picked up a keltec-PF9 at the 1500 yesterday and have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but that doesn't mean it's not in a pocket holster as a back up to my pt99. Like Bigus-D said, I'm sure it will go bang atleast once if I need it to (hope I never have to get to that point though)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Lots of good comments in this thread. :yesway:

Me personally, when I get a new gun the first thing I do is clean it. That allows me to detail inspect for any imperfections / problems also ensure proper basic functioning. I'm pretty anal about a clean weapon, I grew up in the Marine Corps what can I say...

Before I carry a gun I put at least 100 rounds though it, I prefer to put 200 or more through a gun before I carry it.

Its about two things:
    1. Familiarity / Competence, I mean just handling the weapon knowing how it functions and getting a feel for it. Finding the proper grip, etc.
    2. Reliability, you really need to put some rounds through a new weapon to make sure it doesn't have any mechanical problems, after all you are going to trust your life to it.

Now I know some of you might go though guns like most go though underwear. But following the above has been easy for me as I have more than a dozen handguns only 2 guns I carry, one full size as EDC, one subcompact as alternative carry and I don't carry a backup. I also have a go to subcompact (if I just want to grab a gun to check something out) but it also has over 100 rounds though it.

I would not rely on a personal weapon that I have not put more than 100 rounds through. Remember the recent Bersa disconnector spring problem?

Top Bottom