• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I work IT for a K12 school corp. Of course I don't carry at work, but, there is a conference in Indy this Friday called the HECC. Its the Hoosier Educator's Computer Conference. Its at Union station and various hotels there in the area. Since this is an educational setting but is not property of a school or even rented by a school, I am assuming its OK to carry. I will, or course, CC since the individual herd members that allow education to suck the common sense and intelligence out of their brains would have an adverse reaction to a gun. I mean, these people are part of the "OH MY GOD! HE'S GOT A GUN!" herd.

Can anyone see any reason I should not CC in this situation?

-NR

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    in my humble opinion, the reason to not carry would be your reputation. your possible job due it being the "oh my god, hes got a gun" crowd. i dont think there would be anything illegal about so if you carry a small gun/do a good job of concealing, it would be alright.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    in my humble opinion, the reason to not carry would be your reputation. your possible job due it being the "oh my god, hes got a gun" crowd. i dont think there would be anything illegal about so if you carry a small gun/do a good job of concealing, it would be alright.

Not worried about that with a pocket carry 25acp. Most people I work with know I carry anyway, so the only thing I don't want to do is alarm the sheeple. Pocket carry it is.

After what we've seen lately in Florida and Ft. Hood, I can just see some Jihad SOB running into Union Station waving an AK yelling, "Allah Achbar..." or whatever they yell. ...and me not carrying my gun. I'd be ducking like all the other sheeple saying to myself, "You DUMBASS!" Instead, I will have it. In which case Mr. AK waver will get an "Allah Achbar my ***!" and a head full of 25acp slugs.

I can find no schools listed in union station.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    thread jack

I have been meaning to ask a teacher this question.

When you get employed by the school system do you have to sign paperwork that says you will not carry a gun to school?

As I understand it, it is actually not against the law to carry at school if you are employed by the school corporation.

Sorry for the thread jack.

MolonLabe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I have been meaning to ask a teacher this question.

When you get employed by the school system do you have to sign paperwork that says you will not carry a gun to school?

As I understand it, it is actually not against the law to carry at school if you are employed by the school corporation.

Sorry for the thread jack.

It is absolutely against the law for a school employee to carry a gun to school. IC 35-47-9-1 spells out VERY specific instances where a person is permitted to carry a gun onto school grounds. Obviously, state, local and federal law enforcement officers. Persons contracted by the school to provide security (i.e. armed school resource officers), and people with a valid permit who are transporting a person to and from a school event, provided the firearm remains in a vehicle.

A teacher can't carry a firearm to their school in Indiana. Some states are enacting, or trying to enact, laws to allow college professors to carry firearms on campus, but I'm not sure if any have succeeded.

Additionally, you COULD get into trouble for carrying to the HECC. IC 35-47-9-2 spells out that it is unlawful to carry a gun on property being used by a school, for a school function. I'm not sure if your specific event would be considered a school function, but it wouldn't be worth the felony conviction if it were, would it?

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I read it differently.

(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

I admit I may be wrong but I read this as a person employed by a school.
    Guess it is a matter of punctuation.

It is absolutely against the law for a school employee to carry a gun to school. IC 35-47-9-1 spells out VERY specific instances where a person is permitted to carry a gun onto school grounds. Obviously, state, local and federal law enforcement officers. Persons contracted by the school to provide security (i.e. armed school resource officers), and people with a valid permit who are transporting a person to and from a school event, provided the firearm remains in a vehicle.

A teacher can't carry a firearm to their school in Indiana. Some states are enacting, or trying to enact, laws to allow college professors to carry firearms on campus, but I'm not sure if any have succeeded.

Additionally, you COULD get into trouble for carrying to the HECC. IC 35-47-9-2 spells out that it is unlawful to carry a gun on property being used by a school, for a school function. I'm not sure if your specific event would be considered a school function, but it wouldn't be worth the felony conviction if it were, would it?

MolonLabe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I read it differently.

(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

I admit I may be wrong but I read this as a person employed by a school.
    Guess it is a matter of punctuation.

You're interpreting it wrong. It's a person employed by a school to act as a security guard. Perform or participate in a school function would refer to a Rifle team, or a shooting team, or some JROTC type activities. Other activities typically refers to something like a shooting competition, or even funerals where an honor guard is going to perform a salute.

A teacher or a cafeteria worker for instance, isn't legally authorized to carry a gun on their person in a class room. I remember a couple years back a teacher being fired, arrested and convicted for going to school with a handgun in his gym bag, which doubled as his range bag.

That being said, i've seen some of the kids today, if I was with 30 of them in a classroom, i'd want to be armed!

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    You're interpreting it wrong. It's a person employed by a school to act as a security guard. Perform or participate in a school function would refer to a Rifle team, or a shooting team, or some JROTC type activities. Other activities typically refers to something like a shooting competition, or even funerals where an honor guard is going to perform a salute.

A teacher or a cafeteria worker for instance, isn't legally authorized to carry a gun on their person in a class room. I remember a couple years back a teacher being fired, arrested and convicted for going to school with a handgun in his gym bag, which doubled as his range bag.

That being said, i've seen some of the kids today, if I was with 30 of them in a classroom, i'd want to be armed!

And yet just one more example of why we need to get this law repealed, or at the very least, changed to add LTCH holders to the list of exceptions (like LEO's & the above)!!!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I would be concerned about the language of the Indiana statute that says it is illegal to carry "in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function." I have always taken that to mean that there are students present, but the wording of the statute is broader than that. Check out IC 35-47-9-2.

With respect to nearby schools - keep in mind the federal statute that makes it illegal to carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a "school zone," but that statute has a huge exception - anyone with a license to carry a firearm issued by the state in which the school zone is located (as well as several other exceptions).

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

Very well said. I agree completely. :yesway:

MolonLabe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    And yet just one more example of why we need to get this law repealed, or at the very least, changed to add LTCH holders to the list of exceptions (like LEO's & the above)!!!

I'm not so sure I agree with arming teachers, even trained ones, but I respect your opinion on the matter. My argument is this, having spent time in a not so great high school, i've seen teachers breaking up fights get into full on wrestling matches with students, now imagine that teacher trying to do his job to subdue the fight, and retain a gun. I'm more of a proponent of putting armed police officers in the schools.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

The law stipulates that a person with a firearm and a LTCH may drop off or pickup a student as long as they remain in the car. You can not take off your firearm, leave it locked in your car on the school property, and get out of your car. If you do and get caught, it is a class D felony.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    HECC is not a school function, a school function is a high school basket ball game, or something put on by a school. HECC was not. I was there, and i carried without a worry.

Top Bottom