• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Loopie159753

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    South Bend, Indiana
    I'm going up to Lansing tomorrow. I know that Michigan accepts our handgun license, but I thought you could only carry concealed up there. I read somewhere the other day that made me think I might be able to open carry. I don't actually open carry but usually my shirt will ride up a little and the barrel of my gun is visible. And from what I know is that if you have to conceal carry even showing a little bit of the gun constitutes open carry. I'm going up to a church for a youth conference for about 6 hours. Let me know if I'm wrong and if there is anything else I need to know while I'm up there. I won’t be leaving up there until 4:30 PM.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I'm going up to Lansing tomorrow. I know that Michigan accepts our handgun license, but I thought you could only carry concealed up there. I read somewhere the other day that made me think I might be able to open carry. I don't actually open carry but usually my shirt will ride up a little and the barrel of my gun is visible. And from what I know is that if you have to conceal carry even showing a little bit of the gun constitutes open carry. I'm going up to a church for a youth conference for about 6 hours. Let me know if I'm wrong and if there is anything else I need to know while I'm up there. I won’t be leaving up there until 4:30 PM.
    Go here

Michigan Concealed Carry Permit Information

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    You also need the Pastor's permission to carry in churches in Michigan

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You'll need the pastor's permission, as noted above. If the church has a school or daycare attached, then carry is forbidden.

Don't forget, you MUST inform LEOs at a traffic stop in MI.

Didn't realize MI was an Open Carry state. Good to know!

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    You'll need the pastor's permission, as noted above. If the church has a school or daycare attached, then carry is forbidden.

Don't forget, you MUST inform LEOs at a traffic stop in MI.

Didn't realize MI was an Open Carry state. Good to know!
    my understanding from my last visit to Michigan was that it was not permitted on public school grounds but that private school grounds under religious affiliation was exempt. I asked about the private child care and I was told that they are neither a child care nor day care and act only as a private school then the law was silent about this.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    my understanding from my last visit to Michigan was that it was not permitted on public school grounds but that private school grounds under religious affiliation was exempt. I asked about the private child care and I was told that they are neither a child care nor day care and act only as a private school then the law was silent about this.

From Handgunlaw.us:
    28.425o. amended Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
    1. *Schools or school property but may carry in the while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian. (Act 719 allows carry in parking lots. See below)
    2. Public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.
    <snip>
    5. Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons

You may very well be correct, but haven't dug deep enough to know for sure. At first blush, no schools (public or private), no churches, and no day care (private or not). I'd love to see MI code on this, but don't really have the time to goof with it myself.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    oc is legal but frowned upon even more so than in indiana. and also bars and hospitals are no go in mi.
    actually OC is more common than in IN. while you can't CC in a bar in MI, you can OC and it's legal. (if you are asked to leave, you must or face a trepass charge because of private property.) While most MI CPL holders cannot CC in a public school, It is legal to OC. You can OC or CC in churches as long as you have written permission from the presiding official.
    Hope that clears it up some. Later, Bob

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    actually OC is more common than in IN. while you can't CC in a bar in MI, you can OC and it's legal. (if you are asked to leave, you must or face a trepass charge because of private property.) While most MI CPL holders cannot CC in a public school, It is legal to OC. You can OC or CC in churches as long as you have written permission from the presiding official.
    Hope that clears it up some. Later, Bob
    do you have some proof to back this up. i never found anything like this when i was studying for my trip to mi

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    do you have some proof to back this up. i never found anything like this when i was studying for my trip to mi

Not sure which part you are wondering about, as we have probably discussed before OC is not technically legal in MI, it is just not ilegal.:rolleyes:
    As far as OC in bars or schools, I can't speak for Edwarsburg, but according to MI code, this is a definite no-no.

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d

Plenty of other answers at the MSP website.MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    Not sure which part you are wondering about, as we have probably discussed before OC is not technically legal in MI, it is just not ilegal.:rolleyes:
    As far as OC in bars or schools, I can't speak for Edwarsburg, but according to MI code, this is a definite no-no.

Plenty of other answers at the MSP website.MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs
    the part about ocing in schools and bars is what i had issues with as schools are covered under federal law as a no go but bars were no go by mi law and thought maybe he had found something that i hadn't

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

See sec 2c in that statute.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    Here is where it outlaws concealed carry at those locations
    Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425o

the part about ocing in schools and bars is what i had issues with as schools are covered under federal law as a no go but bars were no go by mi law and thought maybe he had found something that i hadn't

Federal law regarding school zones does not apply if you have a carry permit/license issued by your state or the state you are in. Otherwise you couldn't have a firearm in your car when your picking up your kids at school as allowed under IN law.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
    misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of
    any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
    Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
    possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that
    possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more
    than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both

so from the way i understand it, you don't have to oc to be ok in these places you just have to have a ccw/ltch and you can perty much carry as you wish, even in a court. I had never found this before in my searches

Top Bottom