• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have no "good" knives. I did buy a kit from Guns last night and I am waiting on it to get here, its a tanto blade. I think I am gonna order another set of 1911 US grips and cut em down to fit... it will be sweet.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Guys I would strongly suggest not locking anything valuable in a gym locker. We have had numerous and ongoing thefts from lockers at one of the gym's here (that has since been shut down) and also from one our newest gyms that opened up a couple of years ago.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Guys I would strongly suggest not locking anything valuable in a gym locker. We have had numerous and ongoing thefts from lockers at one of the gym's here (that has since been shut down) and also from one our newest gyms that opened up a couple of years ago.

So you suggest it be hidden in the car?

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    There will always be incidents but some situations just don't dictate you being aloud to carry or even being sensible about carrying. When I worked out it was a pair of basket ball shorts and a t-shirt. The shorts can hold my knife but not a gun. You just have to adapt and over come, do what you can when you can with what you have.

not sure if this helps but you might want to look into a belly band holster ?
    I hate them but for some people they work out pretty decent.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Sounds like you might be talking about Bally's; they were going to get hosed on their lease renewals and had to close a couple of locations...

I go to the one that's still left (by the Meijer at Moller and Pike Plaza). And I wouldn't leave ANYTHING in those lockers. I how up dressed, do my thing, and get the hell outta there. I shower at home because I only live ten minutes away. If I work out before work we have a shower there I could use.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Remember the goal is self defense.

A gun is not your only option.

I work out with a knife, on my body. not in a locker. Shower with it etc.

Self defense is a 100% all the time state of being ready, and a gun is not your only tool to accomplish that.

Just sayin. If a gun doesnt work out for you during certain activities, switch to your knife.

:twocents:

Dom has a very good point here!:D:):

Seriously, this would be the place to have that neck knife that we all need to be carrying. With or without that, some defensive/stopping hand to hand skills need to be part of your program. You may not have the luxury of access to your weapons, even IF you have them on you.

Another consideration;
    What are your possible threats in the gym?
    A few possibles, but is not robbery the most likely?
    Where will you be robbed?
    Where your stuff is?
    At your locker and, or your car?
    Uh huh. Just sayin'...

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    With or without that, some defensive/stopping hand to hand skills need to be part of your program. You may not have the luxury of access to your weapons, even IF you have them on you.
    Agreed, but the first rule of unarmed combat is arm yourself.

Regarding belly bands....Same idea, but another option are the ones for your thigh. Obviously this would work better with a thin framed gun, but it'd be safe and inconspicuous.
    I've seen them at the last 3 guns shows....muncie, fort wayne, and 1500. Older couple operates a table selling them

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Dom has a very good point here!:D:):

Seriously, this would be the place to have that neck knife that we all need to be carrying. With or without that, some defensive/stopping hand to hand skills need to be part of your program. You may not have the luxury of access to your weapons, even IF you have them on you.

Another consideration;
    What are your possible threats in the gym?
    A few possibles, but is not robbery the most likely?
    Where will you be robbed?
    Where your stuff is?
    At your locker and, or your car?
    Uh huh. Just sayin'...

As usual, I agree with everything Burl says <especially if he is agreeing with me :) >

I use a neck knife myself, its a Becker BK 11.

Becker_BK-11_Fathers_Day_2010.jpg

Always there, showerable, and like Burl said, just because you own a gun shouldnt mean you are defenseless without it.

And for the record, the biggest threat to Bwframe in the gym, is the hot leotard MILFs that want to jump his bones :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Don't forget, there are lots of weapons at the gym. A barbell can be used to fend off an attacker. Plus, a 45 pound Olympic weight can also be used. This is something that I used in high school. It works beautifully!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Don't forget, there are lots of weapons at the gym. A barbell can be used to fend off an attacker. Plus, a 45 pound Olympic weight can also be used. This is something that I used in high school. It works beautifully!

Good point. Also, the gym I go < I use the word "Go to" QUITE loosely> to locks unless you have a passkey...its actually a pretty safe place all things considered.

Devin22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I work out at a 24/7 gym, i got late around 10-11 p.m. So i carry my lcp in my gym bag where its always close by to me, keep my water bottle, straps, belts in it. Very low traffic if any at that time of night so I feel safe with it being in the bag that close.

Top Bottom