• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Tough luck, I had a spare tire stolen off a leased vehicle prior to manufacturers putting lock on the spare tire carriers. Always sucks when people think they need your stuff more than you need it.
    Did you get any rounds off??

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's a 97 Tacoma. Looks like it had one before and after.
    Welcome to the club.

Our cat was stolen from our '98 4Runner. We clamped straight pipe in and it ran just fine. We had a constant "check engine" light because of the O2 sensor issue, but it did not affect the operation of the vehicle itself. Ran it for something like 2 more years (and would have been longer had it not been totaled in a collision).

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Welcome to the club.

Our cat was stolen from our '98 4Runner. We clamped straight pipe in and it ran just fine. We had a constant "check engine" light because of the O2 sensor issue, but it did not affect the operation of the vehicle itself. Ran it for something like 2 more years (and would have been longer had it not been totaled in a collision).

Thanks ! That the answer I was looking for .

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    They caught guys out in our work parking lot during the day trying to steal one. Hooked up some kind of device and tear the thing right off the friggin vehicle. Appears the same group has been responsible for a number of cat thefts in Porter/Lake counties. Lock em up and throw away the key.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Shame his hand wasn't caught somewhere under your vehicle. Had you started it up and driven a few hundred yards dragging him I'm sure his days of being a lowlife POS thief would cease.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thieves were dong this by me and from what I understand, there is some kind of precious metal in certain ones that have a high scrap value now. So, they do not have to bring the entire unit to the scrap yard, they just need to remove what they were after and sell it.

Catalytic Converters | Scrap

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Just got home and double checked and not only did he take the cat but on my truck the o2 sensors are right before and after so they are gone as well. Could have at least left the o2's lol but I did find 87 cents that must have fell out of his pocket while he was under there. Always a bright side.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Some converters were stolen from a local company here in Evansville during work hours in the parking lot .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if the proper placement of superglued fishing hooks would be an appropriate detriment to this sort of underbelly activity?

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I owned a muffler and brake shop in Hammond and Highland for 23 years. Replaced many a stolen converter. South shore parking lot was easy pickins for these scum bags. Some of those converters could be sold for a couple hundred bucks, especially off of European models. I felt sorry for a lot of the people and welded in tubing just so they could drive their cars back home. They would usually come back to me for the work since I helped them out of a jam.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They caught guys out in our work parking lot during the day trying to steal one. Hooked up some kind of device and tear the thing right off the friggin vehicle. Appears the same group has been responsible for a number of cat thefts in Porter/Lake counties. Lock em up and throw away the key.

No, hook that device around their necks. Problem solved permanently!

If you think that's a bright side after what just happened, you are a better man than me! I'd still be pissed off! :xmad:

Hey, look at the bright side. That 87 cents will cover the cost of a good hollowpoint in most frequently carried calibers to eliminate the stupid son of a *****!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    It is a catalytic converter. It is a device on a car exhaust that uses a catalyst to convert pollutants into less harmful pollutants.

Top Bottom