• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The pre converter o2 sensors are the ones that are used to measure the oxygen level and feed a signal to the computer so it can make air to fuel adjustments by changing the pulse width (Open/Close time) of the fuel injectors. The post convertor 02 sensors just measure the oxygen level and that value is compared to pre convertor values via the computer and this info is used to alert to a degraded convertor performance. The post convertor 02 sensors will throw a "poor performance convertor" code/light but they have nothing to do with the engine running good or bad and DO NOT affect gas mileage.

ginger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Spencer Co.
    The fish hook idea is a good one! Meth heads used to hang fish hooks from fishing line on our atv trails because they were cookin back there. Took one to the shoulder right above the bicep. Those little suckers do more damage than you think!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The Clean Air Act of 1990 makes it a crime to put anything other than a converter back where the converter was. It is illegal for an exhaust shop or parts store to even sell you the pipe if they know it is going in place of the converter.
    http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/exhsysrepair.pdf

I've done hundreds of them with straight pipes including the sheriffs car. A deputy brought it back later and said it sounded swooshy when he accelerated. I put a set of dual turbo-flow mufflers on that crown vic and it was the sweetest sounding car in the county. it had the 5.0 HO motor in it. all the other city and county officers want me to do their cars but the chief and sheriff said no. straight pipe with the sensor female bung welded in and then screw in the sensor and your done.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've done hundreds of them with straight pipes including the sheriffs car. A deputy brought it back later and said it sounded swooshy when he accelerated. I put a set of dual turbo-flow mufflers on that crown vic and it was the sweetest sounding car in the county. it had the 5.0 HO motor in it. all the other city and county officers want me to do their cars but the chief and sheriff said no. straight pipe with the sensor female bung welded in and then screw in the sensor and your done.

x2...my jeep has a glasspack

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    My :twocents:, go to Oreilly autoparts and get a piece of flex pipe it takes 15 minutes to install, it will keep exhaust from coming into the cab and it will keep your back pressure up so you don't blow your engine. Make due with the lousy gas mileage until you can afford a new cat. A cat delete shouldn't be considered a permanent solution, that engine was designed to run with a catalytic converter.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My :twocents:, go to Oreilly autoparts and get a piece of flex pipe it takes 15 minutes to install, it will keep exhaust from coming into the cab and it will keep your back pressure up so you don't blow your engine. Make due with the lousy gas mileage until you can afford a new cat. A cat delete shouldn't be considered a permanent solution, that engine was designed to run with a catalytic converter.

funny...engines before cats didn't blow up...

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Fail number 1: Flex pipe is not the answer. It will be almost impossible to make a good seal and allow toxic fumes to enter the vehicle. It will also not last very long, so it is not a good value.

Fail number 2: Catalytic converters are designed to burn any fuel that was not burnt by the engine before it reaches the the outlet of the exhaust sytem. It has no effect on the engine except to bog down if not completely shut the engine down when they get clogged up.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    In response to Calebs post about blowing up before cats:

Thats because they were designed to run without a cat. The big problem with running the open exhaust is that the motor is not tuned for it. The exhaust valve seat and guides will burn up if you run an open exhaust too long. Then oil will be introduced into the motor, smoke from exhaust.

All that is needed is to add in a piece of pipe to complete the exhaust system. Might be a little louder, might run a little richer, no big deal. If pipe is not fixed, it is not a matter of if there will be a problem, but when.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    In response to Calebs post about blowing up before cats:

Thats because they were designed to run without a cat. The big problem with running the open exhaust is that the motor is not tuned for it. The exhaust valve seat and guides will burn up if you run an open exhaust too long. Then oil will be introduced into the motor, smoke from exhaust.

All that is needed is to add in a piece of pipe to complete the exhaust system. Might be a little louder, might run a little richer, no big deal. If pipe is not fixed, it is not a matter of if there will be a problem, but when.
    That doesn't make much sense. A pipe isn't a replacement for the cat.

And cat/cat-back exhaust systems are post-engine combustion. I don't understand how engine operation is affected by exhausting. Are you factoring in the computer-controlled aspect of engine operation that may be altered due to the feedback from exhaust sensors?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

:ugh: All I can do is provide the link to the relevant law, if you choose not to follow it is on you. Why do you think parts stores stopped carrying test pipes? Back in the 90's, I was reading a trade magazine talking about a sheriff's department down in Georgia getting fined by the EPA several thousand PER vehicle that had a pipe in place of a cat.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    That doesn't make much sense. A pipe isn't a replacement for the cat.

And cat/cat-back exhaust systems are post-engine combustion. I don't understand how engine operation is affected by exhausting. Are you factoring in the computer-controlled aspect of engine operation that may be altered due to the feedback from exhaust sensors?

The pipe is not a replacement for the cat, correct. It is just to have the exhaust hooked back up to the system itself. Assuming the cats are right there after the motor, if the pipe is cut there, it is not good for the motor. The exhaust charge heats up too much and will burn up the valve seats and or guides because of this. The computer may correct for it, but it will burn excessively rich to compensate.

I do not have an exact explanation as to what happens that causes this, but i do know from experience working on my bike. Put on less restrictive exhaust, had to rejet carb or change injection map adding more fuel to compensate for higher flow. Anybody that has owned a harley and switched from stock exhaust to drag pipes without changing fuel metering, only to have the pipes turn blue would know what i mean. I might have something explaining this in detail on my computer if you are interested. Right now i am on the tablet so i wont have it until later tonight.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    RB Racing LSR 2-1 Exhaust Technology

This is the best I could come up with after running through my files. Exhaust does matter in terms of engine performance, I have seen it. I cannot explain it, but have reaped the benefits.

I do know enough to say that if the motor is set up one way, and has either a closed or open loop computer (i forget which), it will not compensate for drastic change. If it does compensate for the drastic change (open exhaust system) it will throw a bunch more fuel at the motor to keep the cylinders cool. I know, that goes against all practical knowledge. Less fuel equals a cooler cylinder??? It does. More unburned fuel = a cooler chamber.

I did get one thing wrong in a prior post. A leaner mixture may burn up the valve seats, but that will not let oil into the chamber, it will release compression. My bad.

ginger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Spencer Co.
    The leaner the f/a mixture, the hotter the cylinder will run. Resulting in burned valves and possibly a nice hole through the center of your piston; which will introduce oil into the cylinder, increase blow by, and lose compression. The quickest way to see if sport quads and bikes are running too lean is to see how many seconds it takes for the head pipe to glow. I agree that its not if, its when the engine will burn a valve. That would take awhile though. Engines have come along way since converters were introduced. That being said, you'll be alright sticking a section of pipe in there for the time being. But I would stick a converter in there as soon as I got the funds.

Top Bottom