• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've shot remans without an issue but then those weren't "gun show ammo". I've got a friend from years back that is licensed for commercial loading (not sure if my wording is correct) and I have bought ammo from him and he also sells a lot of ammo at local gun shows. I've been fortunate and not had anything like this happen. I suppose that if you know your source it should be safe
    A man with a license and insurance for the reloading business would have to have a careful process. Anyone who is responsible enough to do the business end right, would tend to do the remanufacturing part right also. Accountability goes a long way.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The primer was blown out of the other one though
    How about pulling the bullet and weighing the powder to see how much is in it, and figure out what kind of powder it is.
    If need be post pictures of the powder I'm sure someone can identify it if need be.
    It would be interesting to know how much over charged it is if that's the case.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Yeah I think this is more covered under the "Don't ever buy reloads"
    Please don’t lump us all together. I reload custom ammo for people, have a 100% success rate, lots of happy customers and a great reputation.

Less scrupulous loaders like those mentioned in the OP give people like me a bad name.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Please don’t lump us all together. I reload custom ammo for people, have a 100% success rate, lots of happy customers and a great reputation.

Less scrupulous loaders like those mentioned in the OP give people like me a bad name.
    Nothing personal, but I don't even trust "factory" type re-loaders after the Atomic fiasco.

A while back there was some ammo being sold by Atomic in 7.62x51. They used surplus GI brass and reloaded it with 168 Grain match.
    I don't know what they did, but it was getting rim splits and neck splits.

Horrific Kaboom ammo... and its was even sold by the CMP, so it ate a lot of 308 Garands and M1As...

Midwestjimbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    How about pulling the bullet and weighing the powder to see how much is in it, and figure out what kind of powder it is.
    If need be post pictures of the powder I'm sure someone can identify it if need be.
    It would be interesting to know how much over charged it is if that's the case.
    This is what I did with some ammunition that was in the garage when we bought a place in Michigan. Unfortunately, that was after the fact.
    Matched the powder and weight was about 15% overcharged for 147 gr 9mm.
    IMG_20191205_103312477.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I shoot a lot of reload 9mm from freedom munitions. Never had a issue.

Long ago when I was a DS we had a bad lot of LC that was blowing up a few M16's a week.

I am not going to buy ammo from some dude that was probably drunk when reloading.

Was he wearing a camo shirt with no sleeves?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Nothing personal, but I don't even trust "factory" type re-loaders after the Atomic fiasco.

A while back there was some ammo being sold by Atomic in 7.62x51. They used surplus GI brass and reloaded it with 168 Grain match.
    I don't know what they did, but it was getting rim splits and neck splits.

Horrific Kaboom ammo... and its was even sold by the CMP, so it ate a lot of 308 Garands and M1As...

You can get problems like that with new factory ammo as well. There have been several recalls in the industry over the last few years. Winchester recently used the wrong kind of powder in a bunch of 9 mm that was recalled under the Winchester, Browning and Herters name brands.
    Anyone can make a mistake, even the huge manufacturers that make new factory ammo.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You can get problems like that with new factory ammo as well. There have been several recalls in the industry over the last few years. Winchester recently used the wrong kind of powder in a bunch of 9 mm that was recalled under the Winchester, Browning and Herters name brands.
    Anyone can make a mistake, even the huge manufacturers that make new factory ammo.

Thank you for the perspective, Brian. It really does make a difference.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Factory ammo can also make squib rounds. If it doesn't sound right, or feel right stop, and check your barrel in a safe manner.

Top Bottom