• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I just applied for my lifetime permit (using the L1 option) and am starting to look for the right gun to carry concealed. My husband thinks I should try to carry our G19... But honestly, while I do love shooting it, its waay to big to be concealed by my 5ft tall, 100lb self!

I have been talking with JetGirl (who has been a huge help for this newbie! :yesway: ) and she thought I should post here to get some ideas.
    So I need some opinions. I'd really like to see/hold/shoot as many different calibers in different frames/grips as possible, before I spend hundreds of dollars on something I may not feel comfortable shooting.

Thanks in advance!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Any idea on how you will be carrying it? Belt holster, shoulder holster, ankle holster, purse, etc?

Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I'm thinking shoulder holster with a jacket would be easiest for me to pull off, except when its 100 degrees.. Or maybe belt. But I'm not 100% sold on any particular way yet. I know that I don't want to do purse carry.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, so suffice it to say you are looking at 'on-body' carry.

That means that the physical size of the gun will be important. Big enough to shoot well, yet small enough to conceal.

If you are comfortable with the Glock, I'd take a look at the Model 26.

If that's still to thick for you to conceal well, I'd look at Kahrs in the 9mm variety.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Well, you can always start small and work your way up. If you are going shoulder holster, you could look at the smaller Glock 26 if you want to keep it in the family. Another inexpensive option is the Kel-Tec P11. That is 12+1 rounds of 9mm in a decent package. Kahr has some nice options for a little more money.

It really depends on your preferences in type of firearm and what cost is reasonable for you.

If you haven't already, read through the Holsters and Gun Selection parts of Cornered Cat.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    And that's just the thing. I have only shot the G19, that's it. So I don't really know...

One option is to come to a group shoot and post the desire to try handguns. But you can get an idea what doesn't work, by handling many in a gun shop. Immediately throwing out anything that you just can't handle because of size or other factors.

I and I know many others would be happy to contribute some pistols and ammo to let you get a feel for different styles and calibers of weapons. If your husband is happy with the G19 (of which I'm a fan as well) it might be a good idea to try to find another 9mm that you like as well, unless you decided to go with a revolver design. That way you could share ammo. (An there are ways to shoot 9mm in a revolver.)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd encourage you to give some thought to what, exactly, it is about the G19 that seems waaay to big to you. Is it length, width, height, weight? A combination thereof?

Frankly, guns small enough to carry yet big enough to fight with don't get a LOT smaller, just a bit, imo.

Little differences are more significant than one might initially think when it comes to CC.

A half inch here, a 1/10" inch there, and a couple of ounces, although they not seem like much, often make a big difference (especially collectively).

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That is a great point, cosermann. For a small framed person, a thick pistol like the Glock could be harder to conceal with an in the waist holster. If thickness is the issue, then the Glock 26 has the same problem. If it is length, then the 26 doesn't.

You really can't replace handling different firearms and firing them if possible.

USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My wife likes the Glock 26. She also likes to view the limalife youtube videos which explain conceal carry for men and women. The woman who created this series is very instructional. Remember if the weapon is in your purse, then what do you do.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAb3JpUigM&playnext=1&videos=VNP4SXXmZr0]YouTube - Choosing a Comfortable IWB[/ame]

hear is a starter link. By the way, this young lady just joined the Marine Corps reserve. She works in a gun store and is a mother of a 1 year old. Go ahead and check out several of her videos.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm thinking shoulder holster . . .

Vertically or horizontally? It depends a bit on anatomy, but most folks are taller than they are thick so they find they can carry a larger gun vertically than horizontally.

You can try a shoulder rig if you want, but I don't know any one that uses one consistently; male or female.

One other tip, slightly off topic but I think related: If you're new to the CC thing, different modes of carry (i.e. holsters, positions, etc) make a big difference. A handgun that doesn't carry well in one mode/position/rig can carry just fine in another.

Something I suggest to friends who want to try shoulder carry - try it with a cheap rig first (like Uncle Mike's). If you find that shoulder carry has possibilities for you, you can always get a more expensive rig. If you find out that shoulder carry doesn't work for you, you're only out $40-ish bucks instead of the $100+ you could be out if you tried a quality rig to begin with.

Whatever handgun you end up, if you're committed to carrying consistently, you'll probably find you end up with 3 or 4 holsters for it to accommodate various modes of dress/outfits. For example it's impractical to wear a jacket all the time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd encourage you to give some thought to what, exactly, it is about the G19 that seems waaay to big to you. Is it length, width, height, weight? A combination thereof?

Frankly, guns small enough to carry yet big enough to fight don't get a LOT smaller, just a bit, imo.

Little differences are more significant than one might initially think when it comes to CC.

A half inch here, a 1/10" inch there, and a couple of ounces, although they not seem like much, often make a big difference (especially collectively).

That is a great point, cosermann. For a small framed person, a thick pistol like the Glock could be harder to conceal with an in the waist holster. If thickness is the issue, then the Glock 26 has the same problem. If it is length, then the 26 doesn't.

You really can't replace handling different firearms and firing them if possible.

Since I switch between a 19, a 26, and a Kimber 1911, I feel safe in answering this with : ALL OF THE ABOVE. For a woman, the average woman, it's just a large freakin' firearm.

It's heavy and women's fasions are notoriously inadequate for supporting a firearm of that size. And we still have to add the mag and ammo. ;)

And the width comparison on the Glocks is only partially correct. Width may be a problem at one point on the body, but remedied if relocated more forward or backward. If the firearm's length impedes that relocation by making it impossible to carry there (worst case scenario) or uncomfortable or more noticeable, a 26's width may work where the 19's wouldn't.

Example: though I don't carry IWB much at all, when I do, the most comfortable place for a firearm for me if just in front of my hip bone, call it the 2:00, if 3:00 is square on the side of my hip. That's where the gun's width becomes moot in terms of profiling AND comfort. I can't do that with a full length firearm...unless I remain standing all day.

Glock has a slim frame model out there too. Don't know what calibers as I was only interested in .45, but it's an option to at least look into further.

On a side note and slight thread jack: I've purse carried since I've carried (which is going on 12 years now I think). I think the argument that there won't be enough time to react and reach for the firearm is a little over-emphasized. I don't think there's any more time to go for a properly stored firearm in a properly carried purse than an on-the-body firearm concealed under a bunch of clothes. And having one in my purse means I ALWAYS have one, even when circumstances don't allow for one on the body (who doesn't run out to the grocery store in sweats every now and then?).

And then there's always something to be said for situational awareness and being ready to act as opposed to being forced to react. Purse carry would trump on-the-body in that situation 9 times out of 10.

As with everything, carry for defense can never be boiled down to a single issue where we then declare one option as superior over all others in all circumstances.

And now to answer the OP's question: I suggest the G26 as well. Familiarity with the Glock will make it an easy move on your part and (shhh, don't the let guys read this), just knowing it's smaller seems to have an effect on feeling more comfortable with it. The 1911's are wonderful for their slimness. And who doesn't love the idea of the bad guy seeing a half inch diameter barrel! ;)

ETA: I can't believe I wasn't called on this before I got a chance to correct myself. I was thinking of the G17 as the large framed Glock. :ugh: I always mix those two up. But for illustration purposes, it worked. :D

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm thinking shoulder holster with a jacket would be easiest for me to pull off, except when its 100 degrees.. Or maybe belt. But I'm not 100% sold on any particular way yet. I know that I don't want to do purse carry.

As I have been carrying for 20+ years let me toss out one thought, no matter what gun you buy, consider MULTIPLE carry options.

You correctly pointed out that you have options and that some are not well suited to all situations (100 degree heat).

Consider buying a shoulder holster, a small-of-back holster, an OWB hip holster, an IWB holster, etc. Different types of carry will be suitable for different types of attire. Today I carried with a simple Don Hume JIT belt holster on my right hip, yesterday I used a pocket holster. Some days I wear a dress shirt tucked in and carry with an IWB holster from CrossBreed.

Clearly some events/situations dictate certain types of dress, having multiple carry methods can make your life much easier, more comfortable and more convenient. Realize that a carry gun is only going to do you any good if you actually have it with you, the more carry options you have, the more likely it is you will actually carry.

I would also recommend you consider a back up gun like a little 380 from Kel Tec or Ruger. Not that I recommend carrying 2 guns. I don't. But there are times when it is very difficult to conceal a compact full power gun, for those times it is very comforting to have a tiny sub-compact pistol. If you can't carry a gun, you can carry a 380 Kel Tec!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of good advice so far. And here's a link with yet more helpful, lady-specific, advice:

Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

What's funny is I have a few smaller handguns; purchased for situations like Melensdad mentions, and because I thought my wife would prefer to carry something smaller. Come to find out she LIKES the larger guns. Practically never carries anything SMALLER than a G19! Go figure. Just shows how folks vary I guess.

Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for all the great advice!
    After a trip to the range yesterday, I decided that need to be shooting left handed. I did dramatically better with the left. The trigger pull was much smoother and I didn't have so many shots low and to the left. But I noticed that I do all the "prep" work with my right hand, since our gun does not have ambidextrous anything.

We took a peek at some guns at H&H and Gander Mtn. We looked at so many that I'm having a hard time keeping them straight. I really liked the size of this one Kahr (a 9mm) that I held. It was skinny and felt really good in my hand. But I haven't heard much about them. And it didn't have ambidextrous anything either (don't know if I really need that though).

So now I kind of know what I am looking for a little better. I think I don't want a safety to have to fumble with. Ambidextrous slide and mag release would be good, but I guess not 100% necessary (since I am doing OK without that now). I did not like the feel of a revolver.

I had considered different modes of carry, depending on what I was wearing on any given day. But I had read somewhere to find one that you like and stick with it. That way you don't have to think about where your gun is when you really need it... Any thoughts on that? It doesn't seem practical all the time, but it does make sense to me too.

88GT- Thanks for the heads up on the Slim Glock, I will definitely look that up! I do really like the Glock. But its just too big too conceal.

JetGirl- Thanks for the offer! I am admittedly a bit intimidated by the thought of shooting a .45 I am just a tiny thing. But would love to try it sometime.

Top Bottom