• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have been thinking it would be cool to make a gun carrier out of one of those nifty Bible covers. Carry just about anywhere, including church, no questions asked. Nothing poking you in the side!
    Bible%20Cover%20Maroon.JPG

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I have a Springfield 1911-A1 (.45) and a Bersa Thunder (380) you can shoot, handle etc. :) Just let me know when. Jetty knows how to get ahold of me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I've got a S&W M&P 9mm and a Ruger LCP that I would let you try out. Let me know if there is a girl shoot in the NE. I'll come for a meet, shoot and eat! :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A Ruger SR9c is a skinny little gun, feels great in the hands, should conceal easier than the Glock.

My wife, though, doesn't like shooting 9mm sub-compacts. She detests the muzzle flip. She likes shooting full sized guns, adores the 1911, but hates carrying them.

Her solution for carry is a Bersa Thunder 380. It's largish for a .380, but that makes it easier and much more fun to shoot. It's accurate and dependable, light, and skinny. She likes carrying it, likes shooting it, and that makes it the right choice for her carry gun. The .380 isn't exactly a powerhouse round, but it's powerful enough to be effective. It's certainly much more effective than the .45 ACP sitting in a gun she won't carry. I've carried her gun a time or two in her Fobus paddle holster, and it really is a sweetheart to carry.

Like me, she likes carrying on the belt. A Don Hume JIT holster is just the ticket for this little gun, at least on her body. It's one of the few outside the waistband holsters she's found that doesn't poke her in the ribs, put the gun in her armpit, or have the butt of the gun sticking waaaaay out. I did buy her a rather nice leather holster purse for occasions she's dressed in such a way that she cannot carry on body, but this is not her preferred method of carry.

Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you all for the great ideas!

I really like the Kahr CW9.
    My only problem with it is the fact that it doesn't have ambidextrous features, and I am left handed. But until now I have done everything (loading and unloading) right handed. While that is fine for the range, I'm not sure its practical for a real life situation. Although if I keep it fully loaded I shouldn't need more than one mag's worth, right?

Any thoughts on that? Other lefties have ideas for me??

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Thank you all for the great ideas!

I really like the Kahr CW9.
    My only problem with it is the fact that it doesn't have ambidextrous features, and I am left handed. But until now I have done everything (loading and unloading) right handed. While that is fine for the range, I'm not sure its practical for a real life situation. Although if I keep it fully loaded I shouldn't need more than one Mag's worth, right?

Any thoughts on that? Other lefties have ideas for me??

I would think that with practice you could get around the handicap of being a lefty :):, just kidding but really I work with some officers that are lefty's also and we carry Sig P220's for our duty gun and they also do not have ambi controls. They have adapted to the controls of the gun through training. On the Kahr's I believe the only control you have is the slide stop/release and I would think that would be pretty easy to get use to with practice.

As far as the mags go, I always carry at least 1 if not 2 extra mags, not just for the extra rounds but to deal with Mr. Murphy when he decides to show up (and always at the wrong time with my luck).

I think the Kahr would make a great CC gun for you.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My wife is a lefty, her first gun was a Kel-Tec P11. No right handed safeties to worry about. We sold it and bought a Ruger SP101. Running the slide was just too hard for her since in that design you are compressing the recoil spring and the trigger spring at the same time. I'm left handed but right eye dominant, so I've always shot right handed, but it's not too hard to learn to drop the magazine with the index or middle finger of the shooting hand. The Kel-Tec PF-9 is thinner than the P11 and has a better trigger, albeit a lower capacity single stack magazine. The difference in the trigger design also makes it easier to run the slide.

With the proper technique manipulating a "right handed" revolver is just as fast as reloading right handed.

If you like the G19, then I will parrot the recommendation of the G26. A pinky extension on the magazine makes a big difference for me (relatively wide palms).

However since you are a lefty, look into the Springfield XD-9sc. The magazine release is amidextrous, and there are is no thumb safety to worry about. A lady I work with went has tried a dozen or so guns and recently bought a XD-9sc and she loves it. My primary carry gun is a XD-40, and I am always on the lookout for a good deal on the sub-compact version (XD-40sc).

Another option is some of the plastic Walthers (and S&W clones). The mag release is ambi and on the trigger guard. I've had a problem manipulating the release on the couple that I have tried - the motion isn't natural for me, but it might be fine for you, so check it out.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    However since you are a lefty, look into the Springfield XD-9sc. The magazine release is amidextrous, and there are is no thumb safety to worry about. .
    My wife tried my XD9-SC and Taurus 24/7 CDS in 9mm. She seemed okay with both of them, but chose the Taurus because it is lighter, she has an easier time racking the slide, and has the choice of carrying with/without safety, or decocked.....probably a good choice since she purse carries. She very much enjoys shooting it at the range, too, so she practices with me whenever she can....Win!!

Top Bottom