CC in purse today...Not going to do that many more times.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Which is why I don't carry any of those things in purse either. You obviously have very strong opinions. I'm just stating my reasons for my choice.

I mean, our wallets with our IDs, keys, and other personally identifying information is usually located in the purse, right? And while losing a firearm to theft would suck major donkey balls, having the perp know where I live and the means to get in could be so much worse, don't you think? To say nothing of the fact that by having my ID, the perp could ruin my life forever. Ever hear of identity theft? Do you tell women not to carry a purse to protect against these risks?

It's so nice of you to imply that some of us are irresponsible with our personal items. I probably shouldn't have children either since they can actually get up and walk away. Talk about losing track of something. Man, now I'm worried about going to the grocery with them. However will I keep them safe?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Actually, I don't advocate purse carry because I don't advocate purses at all.
    for the very reasons that 88GT mentioned... and as a matter of fact I DO caution against carrying all that identification in a bag that can get snatched.
    Some of us do walk the talk.

This is a BS argument for opposing purse carry and frankly
    It's a fact that purses are targeted for snatching...whether or not the perp knows what's inside. If you're carrying a purse...You're a mark and it's a target whether you'd like to think so or not.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Which is why I don't carry any of those things in purse either.
    But do you equally HATE it when other women do?

You obviously have very strong opinions. I'm just stating my reasons for my choice.

Yes, I have very strong opinions. No, you weren't just stating your opinion. You were assuming things about the behavior of people you don't know. You ignored the fact that situational awareness and personal behavior are bigger predictors of risk than simply carrying a purse. And you presented your opinion in a manner that condemned those who do otherwise.

Look, it's one thing not to choose purse carry for yourself because you don't want to accept the additional risk that it entails. It's one thing to editorialize on the risks. But for the love of God, can we stop treating it like a major safety violation?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's a fact that purses are targeted for snatching...whether or not the perp knows what's inside. If you're carrying a purse...You're a mark and it's a target whether you'd like to think so or not.

No, I'm a potential mark. My situational awareness and my body language are greater factors in the perp's consideration than me simply having a purse. Now if he's intent on making a grab and I'm the only one around, yeah, chances are good we're gonna tangle. But if we're talking about Wally World and he's got a choice between me and the dozen other women who are paying more attention to their cell phones than their personal belongings, who do you think he's gonna target?

I think there's about as much justification for not purse carrying because it might be stolen as there is in arguing that you shouldn't OC because you'll be the first one shot.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well you know...You SHOULDN'T "OC" because you'll be the first one shot!

:D

Heh
    Sorry... but you know I had to yank that chain. :):

:popcorn:

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    But do you equally HATE it when other women do?

What other women chose is their choice.

Yes, I have very strong opinions. No, you weren't just stating your opinion. You were assuming things about the behavior of people you don't know. You ignored the fact that situational awareness and personal behavior are bigger predictors of risk than simply carrying a purse. And you presented your opinion in a manner that condemned those who do otherwise.

Look, it's one thing not to choose purse carry for yourself because you don't want to accept the additional risk that it entails. It's one thing to editorialize on the risks. But for the love of God, can we stop treating it like a major safety violation?

Huh?????

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    BEST option-- whatever you carry, however you carry it-- is to PRACTICE on the range deploying it.

:+1: This is true for anyone. In fact, it's a good reminder to me to always keep looking for a better set-up. My holster being really snug plus my belts being too thin to hold the holster 100% in place (as in 1/2 inch too thin, I'm not trying to use some silly 1 inch cutesy fashion belt;)) make for a slow draw. Trial and error - the eternal quest for the perfect option. :dunno:

I carry my purse in a cross body style too, though I carry it on my right hip or in front of my right hip. When my hand hangs in a relax position it is positioned right over the pistol outside the purse. I agree I like this carry style of purse because it doesn't slip off your shoulder and leaves your hands free.

Yep, also the side I carry my purse on. But that's for the ease in reloading since my holster is on my hip. :D And besides, there's no way my handgun would fit in my purse with all the other crap I carry in my purse. :n00b:

And, as much as I don't want to walk into this argument, I've had to go through a lot of lost purses to locate the owner to return it to them. I've never found a firearm in any of them, though, and I would sincerely hope that gun owners are more cautious with where they leave their purses. It comes down to a personal decision. It really is just like the OC/CC argument. Find what works for you, practice it, and then do it.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Actually, I don't advocate purse carry because I don't advocate purses at all.
    for the very reasons that 88GT mentioned... and as a matter of fact I DO caution against carrying all that identification in a bag that can get snatched.

Which is why I don't carry any of those things in purse either.

So if neither of you carry a purse with your ID and such in it, what do you carry. I'm just a little confused. I feel like I have too much stuff to take with me, to not carry a purse. I guess I'm a creature of comfort and like my gum, chapstick, sunglasses, tylenol/advil, cell phone, pen (so I don't have to use a public pen during flu season). Do you sacrafice these items for the sake of not carrying a purse?

I'm just curious, not trying to be arguementative because I've wondered about what to do with my LTCH when I carry my gun on my person, because then I don't like having my purse with me. It's in the way of drawing, so I either have to change the side I carry it on, or I opt to leave it in the car.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Yep, also the side I carry my purse on. But that's for the ease in reloading since my holster is on my hip. :D And besides, there's no way my handgun would fit in my purse with all the other crap I carry in my purse. :n00b:

And, as much as I don't want to walk into this argument, I've had to go through a lot of lost purses to locate the owner to return it to them. I've never found a firearm in any of them, though, and I would sincerely hope that gun owners are more cautious with where they leave their purses. It comes down to a personal decision. It really is just like the OC/CC argument.

My Mother always said that the older you get, the bigger the purse. I'm finding that to be true for me. I can't imagine putting any more stuff in my purse. :n00b: But I'm sure I will. :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    So if neither of you carry a purse with your ID and such in it, what do you carry. I'm just a little confused. I feel like I have too much stuff to take with me, to not carry a purse. I guess I'm a creature of comfort and like my gum, chapstick, sunglasses, tylenol/advil, cell phone, pen (so I don't have to use a public pen during flu season). Do you sacrafice these items for the sake of not carrying a purse?

I'm just curious, not trying to be arguementative because I've wondered about what to do with my LTCH when I carry my gun on my person, because then I don't like having my purse with me. It's in the way of drawing, so I either have to change the side I carry it on, or I opt to leave it in the car.
    Typically, in one pocket, I carry a slim wallet containing cash, I.D. a few credit cards, and a couple pictures.
    In another pocket, keys and lip balm. My phone is either always in a back pocket (or if I'm wearing a cover shirt with a pocket or a vest...it's in one of those.
    I happen to be a gum connoisseur, and usually have a few sticks in my wallet...Wrigley's "Extra" (Peppermint) is my fave!
    Depending on what kind of pocket real estate I have, I'll add a pen, pen-like flashlight, or depending on what I'm doing - maybe my multi-tool (folds up really tiny).
    For the most part, my self-pat-down before exiting my door goes like this:
    Wallet? Check.
    Keys? Check.
    Phone? Check.
    Gun? Check.

One time I put my wallet in a denim vest pocket instead of in my jeans. Walked out the door wearing a denim jacket instead of the vest...
    Got over a hundred miles from home before I realized what I'd done.
    So now, as a rule, I.D. always goes in the jeans. Lesson learned.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    88GT, I have no doubt that you can (and probably do) draw quickly, and probably faster than plenty of the CC people with IWB, shoulder, or ankle carry. We all need to practice.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Typically, in one pocket, I carry a slim wallet containing cash, I.D. a few credit cards, and a couple pictures.
    In another pocket, keys and lip balm. My phone is either always in a back pocket (or if I'm wearing a cover shirt with a pocket or a vest...it's in one of those.
    I happen to be a gum connoisseur, and usually have a few sticks in my wallet...Wrigley's "Extra" (Peppermint) is my fave!
    Depending on what kind of pocket real estate I have, I'll add a pen, pen-like flashlight, or depending on what I'm doing - maybe my multi-tool (folds up really tiny).
    Wallet? Check.
    Keys? Check.
    Phone? Check.
    Gun? Check.

One time I put my wallet in a denim vest pocket instead of in my jeans. Walked out the door wearing a denim jacket instead of the vest...

I would need to go up a jeans size if I was going to do that and be comfortable.

I've been thinking about getting some type of thin wallet to carry in my back pocket when I'm running between farms and taking my gun. I never have a drivers license with me but I figure the LEO's around here would give me a break on something like that. Not so much if I didn't have my LTCH.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I've been thinking about getting some type of thin wallet to carry in my back pocket when I'm running between farms and taking my gun. I never have a drivers license with me but I figure the LEO's around here would give me a break on something like that. Not so much if I didn't have my LTCH.

Since I ride a motorcycle sometimes, and I never carry a purse then :) I bought a small zippered thing that holds my driver's license on the outside, has change purse that would fit chapstick, one of those travel Advil tubes and gum as well. It has an insert eith slots for credit cards, an area for cash and/or receipts, as well as another plastic covered DL slot that I use for my LTCH (it can't be seen unless I take the insert out.) Oh heck.. let me just take a couple photos so you can see. Whenever I don't want to carry my purse, I just take this out of it and put it in my pocket. I've used this longer than any wallet I've ever had. If you can find something like this, you'll be all set! I have no idea where I got it though--sorry!

picture.php

The other side of the credit card insert thingy has a clear plastic area where I keep my LTCH.

picture.php

It's a perfect size - no bigger than it has to be to carry a few things.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh, that's SWEET!! That's close to what I use-- slim wallet I can slip in a pocket, small belt pouch, or neck pouch tucked in "Ft. Knox". I found mine at one of the booths at the Parke Co. Covered Bridge Festival, it's good but I like the one you pictured-- very nice.

--Sue

Since I ride a motorcycle sometimes, and I never carry a purse then :) I bought a small zippered thing that holds my driver's license on the outside, has change purse that would fit chapstick, one of those travel Advil tubes and gum as well. It has an insert eith slots for credit cards, an area for cash and/or receipts, as well as another plastic covered DL slot that I use for my LTCH (it can't be seen unless I take the insert out.) Oh heck.. let me just take a couple photos so you can see. Whenever I don't want to carry my purse, I just take this out of it and put it in my pocket. I've used this longer than any wallet I've ever had. If you can find something like this, you'll be all set! I have no idea where I got it though--sorry!

It's a perfect size - no bigger than it has to be to carry a few things.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do something very similar-- small wallet with driver's license, LTCH, a couple credit cards, cash in a pocket or-- depending on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, weather, etc-- small belt pouch or neck pouch tucked in "Ft. Knox". "Other Stuff" I relegate to other pockets or a purse. :):
    I *LIKE* the self pat down routine-- I've got my own version of the jacket-vs-vest story! :( Yep-- lesson learned!

Wallet? Check.
    Keys? Check.
    Phone? Check.
    Gun? Check.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ah, the Perfect Option. It's more elusive than the Holy Grail!! I find a belt I really love, only to find it stinks as a gun belt. . . those pants that fit so well and look so good. . . not so much in a size that accommodates an IWB holster. :rolleyes: One of my favorite compromises is the ubiquitous waist pack-- it's a good compromise for me between relatively secure carry (attached to my body), ease of draw, and versatility. I had one that I really loved-- nice leather, good size and design, and didin't just *scream* "GUN BAG!!!". It finally wore out, though, and I'm currently looking for that perfect One to Replace it. I've seen some nice ones from Galco, but they're pricey-- too pricey for something that's not "just what I'm looking for".

:+1: This is true for anyone. In fact, it's a good reminder to me to always keep looking for a better set-up. My holster being really snug plus my belts being too thin to hold the holster 100% in place (as in 1/2 inch too thin, I'm not trying to use some silly 1 inch cutesy fashion belt;)) make for a slow draw. Trial and error - the eternal quest for the perfect option. :dunno:

Find what works for you, practice it, and then do it.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    One of my favorite compromises is the ubiquitous waist pack-- it's a good compromise for me between relatively secure carry (attached to my body), ease of draw, and versatility.

I am starting to think about using one of these for motorcycle carry, as I want it close, but am a little nervous about how best to safely do that. For now, I have a small leather bag that the LCP just fits in. The bag hooks onto belt loops. As long as I only carry the LCP, it would be light enough, but anything much heavier, I'd have to get some sort of metal hooks to go over the belt to hook the bag to.

But like you said, everyone of the waist packs I have seen sort of screams, "Hey! I have a gun in here!!" :rolleyes: If you ever find one that won't break the bank, post a link please!

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Be careful!

I'm NOT an expert... but most dirt bags that are going to attack a female are going for your PURSE! It might be to rob you, or worse. But getting that purse away from you will take away any chance at a phone, mace, brick, or what ever else the feminine mind carries for a weapon or means of getting help. Let them have your purse then use your gun to get it back! Besides throwing a purse or wallet at a guy is a great distraction to give you all the time in the world to P.P.P. (PULL-POINT-PULL)

just my :twocents:

Top Bottom