• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I know this is a pretty open-ended, subjective question, but I am looking into a smaller CCW weapon, and would love some opinions. I am looking specifically at something chambered for 9mm, and no wheel guns.

I have had a couple of recommendations lately for the Sig P938, which I finally took out and shot and absolutely loved. It is a bit pricey however at ~$750 with a single magazine. I understand why it costs this much, it is a very nice gun. The slide is like butter!!! :D

What other choices are decent alternatives that I should be checking out? The S&W Shield? One of the new Springfield XD Mod.2? the H&k P30SK? I know Rugar makes a small sub-compact as well.

Thanks for the advice.

James

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    My father-in-law has a SCCY CPX-2. He likes it and it looks pretty dope. And the price won't break the bank.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    938 is a great gun... I would look at the Smith and Wesson Shield... I think this is probably your best bet here.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know this is a pretty open-ended, subjective question, but I am looking into a smaller CCW weapon, and would love some opinions. I am looking specifically at something chambered for 9mm, and no wheel guns.

I have had a couple of recommendations lately for the Sig P938, which I finally took out and shot and absolutely loved. It is a bit pricey however at ~$750 with a single magazine. I understand why it costs this much, it is a very nice gun. The slide is like butter!!! :D

What other choices are decent alternatives that I should be checking out? The S&W Shield? One of the new Springfield XD Mod.2? the H&k P30SK? I know Rugar makes a small sub-compact as well.

Thanks for the advice.

James

The Sig P938 is an excellent choice and a solid pistol. It is what I carry on a daily basis. $750 is pretty steep; I have seen it go online south of $600...Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users often has it listed there.

If you haven't carried a lot, I would advise against a pistol with a safety. I think many novice shooters think they need it when in reality, a proper holster and a disciplined brain will do the trick. On the contrary, the last thing you want is a gun NOT going off because you can't disengage the safety.

If you stray away from the Sig, the Kahr CM9 is a solid choice, as well as the Shield, XD-S, and Glock 43. The Kahr is the smallest of that group, by far. The others probably have a better reputation. I've owned 2 CM9s without issue. I have heard mixed reviews about the DB9, Beretta Nano, Taurus 709, Keltecs, and others.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    CZ 2075 RAMI. I just made the switch from a baby glock. Couldn't be happier!

Beat me to it... :):

Honestly a lot of great options in small 9mm. I carry a Shield and like it a lot. If you look around you can get one around $350, safety or not and it's a nice little shooter. The above mentioned CZ Rami is heavier, as it's all steel, but it's a very soft shooter because of that and quite accurate. Good luck finding something that works best for you!

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I have carried the cpx-2 for a while before, great gun for the price but the pins can walk out on them. Awesome warranty too. I now carry a Glock 22 and so does my wife, they're light enough for me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What larger guns do you shoot/have familiarity with/carry now?

Depending on what that is, recommendations may differ. If you have M&P's, I'd suggest an M&P9c or Shield, if Glocks, I'd suggest the 26 or 43.

Need a bit more info from you to make a suggestion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Shield is one of the best bang for the buck guns on the market right now. You can find them under $350 new, the trigger is one of the better ones for a striker fired gun, reasonable sights, a good size, plenty of after market support as far as holster makers and the like.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Kahr CW9 or CM9 - reliable (break-in recommended), small, light, accurate for what they are. I sometimes forget I have it. Used to have a PF9 - it was the smallest and lightest, but too punishing and small for my hand.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I carry the Smith and Wesson Shield and the m&p 9c. Both are fun to shoot and are reason all in price. If you choose the shield I recommend the 9mm and not the .40, recoil on the 40 is pretty bad.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    What larger guns do you shoot/have familiarity with/carry now?

Depending on what that is, recommendations may differ. If you have M&P's, I'd suggest an M&P9c or Shield, if Glocks, I'd suggest the 26 or 43.

Need a bit more info from you to make a suggestion.

I am currently shooting a HK VP9.

Thanks.

James

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    There are many great options out there. Most have been suggested already.
    Since you already have a VP9, may I suggest a Walther PPS? The magazine release is identical to your VP9 so no new training is needed. If you look it up, you will see it has a great reputation.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Check out the Springfield XDs. I tried the 938, the Shield, and the XDs at the range one day and found I shot the XDs much better than the others. If at all possible go and actually fire them all.

Top Bottom