• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Back in my day we learned to shoot with one hand, braced by the other hand holding a Kel-Light [now a Mag-Light]. The 4 D cell Kel-Light could also be used as a striking weapon. Today's flashlights are smaller, much brighter and user friendly. IMHO, I see no reason to have a WML on a handgun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Pink Pachyderm is right. I carry a Coast HP2 everywhere. 85lm 1AAA light. Change the battery once a month whether I think I need to or not. (I often do but dont realize it since they dont dim much before quitting.)

Would I like something brighter? Yes. Is it worth it to me to bother with the added bulk, kicking myself when I lose it, etc? No. YMMV

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    No downside to having a light on the gun as long as you know how to use it properly.

1. If you carry a gun without a flashlight mounted on it, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.
    2. If you carry a gun with a flashlight mounted on it, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.
    3. If you don't carry a gun, you need to carry a handheld flashlight.

This pretty much sums it up. :yesway:

508demo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Morristown
    I’ve got two Nitecore lights, an MH27 and an SRT7. Both with 3400 milliamperes 18650 rechargeable batteries.

Both are around 930-970 lumens at full brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All the lights I have, have no place to attach a cord :(

Most attachment points on lights are not in a good spot anyway (usually on the tailcap).

Chances are you can tight a gutted paracord lanyard on the body of your light that will work.

Also, not all styles of lanyards are suitable for a light you might use in conjunction with a gun. It has to allow you to have your hands free when you need them, but also retrieve the light quickly without need to "reel it in" or use both hands.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wouldn’t a laser, if anything, on an edc gun be more practical in a defensive situation (read ‘high stress’)?

Can you share with the class Cooper's rule #4? That is why you need an EDC light. (A laser would not provide this)

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Most weaponlights produced in the last few years have plenty of spill to them to allow using the light at the low ready to illuminate things without flagging them if that's a serious concern. They let you keep both hands on the gun in a firm grip so you can actually shoot with speed and control and the added weight to the frame makes it easier to make follow-up shots. Having your light permanently coaxial to your bore is also really nice when you're lining up your shot; with a Harries grip not only am I only getting one hand on the gun, which makes my recoil mitigation worse, but I also have to independently align two different items to the same target which is extra motor coordination and brain power I could be using to actually fight my threat rather than fight my equipment. Even with a Rogers grip my control of the gun is trash compared to having both hands fully on the grip and torquing into the frame.

Having a small task light to carry on you is nice and I use mine once every now and then, but my TLR-1 is my mainstay fighting light and everything else is a secondary option to that.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have always carried a flashlight. One day I was in the lower level of the old Indy airport when the power went off. It was DARK. When I clicked on my flashlight it was like having a thousand moths rush at you. Circus time. If that ever happens again I will keep it pointed at the floor with my hand over it find an exit as quickly as possible.......

Top Bottom