• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I had Cricket for about 8 years with no phone issues. The problem that made me switch had to do with their automatic billing. Each month they automatically debited my VISA, until they didn't. On two different occasions, they did not do the autopay, and then because it was not paid, they cut off my phone service. I have my phone mostly for emergencies, so I can't have them just cutting me off willy-nilly. I switched to Mint and have not had any issues.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I actually have Verizon for the internet. I usually have 4 bars and for maybe a mile radius around my house I have a hard time with phone calls. Internet works fine, texting fine, phone calls nope.
    I’d call Verizon support. See what they say about good cars/data but voice troubles.

You shouldn’t have issues with 4 bars.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Cricket is owned by ATT. Service basically anywhere ATT is, but worse support, no contracts, you buy any phones outright (from them or elsewhere, but make sure the equipment matches ATTs approved hardware list - this is a must for any service riding on ATTs network). Cricket also used to cap speed at a ridiculous low speed on a lot of plans. Not sure if they still do, but check. And they make silly money off stupid activation fees, even though it should be just putting in a stinking sim card.

Been off of Cricket for several years afer the buyout. The equipment tended to be crippled and/or bloatware loaded worse than even ATT phones.

Saved money going to RedPocket. You can pick whose towers you use to match your hardware or available towers in your area. You buy a yearly plan (best pricing on eBay) and save a ton. It's what I use for some of the kids lines.

If you have TMobile service in your area, Mint mobile has some good plans with a lot of data. For a decent price. I use this for me.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    My parents moved and their new neighbors warned them the neighborhood is a cellular dead zone. They're not too far off the beaten path but apparently are just on the edge of the tower(s) range. They've tried several providers and I've visited with my Verizon but they all seem to struggle to provide more than 2-3 bars.

We tried a few mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) not to address this issue but to evaluate how these services compare to their brand name counterparts. Of course because you pay less your call and data traffic is deprioritized during busy times and usually the plans include lower limits, especially data speeds and monthly caps. Basically paying the brand name premium gives you priority.

Mint runs in T-Mobile's network I believe so coverage should be comparable but again expect deprioritization.

There's Visible, which runs in Verizon's network and I think is really owned by Verizon themselves so they're making money either way by running their own MVNO. Just like Cricket is owned by AT&T. I gave up on Visible, too many dropped calls with full bars so it was very much prioritization.

Now I can't confirm this because I did just recently update my Verizon phone and it's 5G capable but my understanding is 5G has better signal and range than 4G so if you're in a situation where it seems you're just in the fringe of a tower signal it may be worth trying a Verizon or AT&T phone as they are the only brands I'm aware are currently offering 5G coverage in certain areas. I say I cannot confirm because I live in a good coverage area and have 5G-UW coverage right at home. Verizon even tried to sell me home internet service but as it is just another 5G receiver in my house I see no reason I can't just use my phone as an internet hotspot. I'm not home much anyways.

Food for thought

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I used to be in one of those dead zones. Before wifi calling became a thing, my boss gave me a PicoCell to take home so my work phone would work there. It is basically a small cell tower in a box. (the size of a home router) It would connect to ATT through the internet and route my calls that way. But we would have to register each cell phone we wanted it to allow to connect.

Now that Wifi calling is a thing, I no longer need it because the phone does it natively through wifi. And they have since installed a new tower 1/2 mile from my house so its even better.

It would be interesting to see what happens if OP connects to his LTE router to use wifi calling. Even though its still on the same cellular tower, the difference in connectivity could improve things.

vulindlela

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2020
    Avon
    We switched from AT&T to Cricket over 5 years ago and love it.
    Have not had any issues at all.
    Three of us unlimited for $90 a month.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    I am with Verizon and have been for 20 + years. Service in my area Seems to be getting worse instead of better so i am leaving Verizon and thinking of going to Cricket anyone else use Cricket? What do you think of of the coverage area ?
    Do you have many missed or drop calls because the service? i am thinking they Piggy back off ATT towers.
    looking for pro's and con's of Cricket cellular
    I have had cricket for a long while now and I love it! I can upgrade and downgrade service mid-month easily to save the most money. It uses AT&T service (and is owned by them) at a fraction of the cost. I haven't ever had any complaints about service. I had AT&T previously and it seems identical.

Top Bottom