• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Change is hard for most people to accept or even look at with an open mind. The misperceptions of center fire rifles and hunting in general are so frustrating to me. Even from other hunters who think they know everything about guns and get most of their information from the mis informed media.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Change is hard for most people to accept or even look at with an open mind. The misperceptions of center fire rifles and hunting in general are so frustrating to me. Even from other hunters who think they know everything about guns and get most of their information from the mis informed media.

Yes, this whole unfortunate debate and consequent loss have simply proven that some of the least informed people about hunting and rifles are.....hunters.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I decided to just stick with the .30-06 for this year again, regardless of their decision. It'll eventually become legal.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I decided to just stick with the .30-06 for this year again, regardless of their decision. It'll eventually become legal.

It's perfectly legal now, just has to be a pistol. I have a relative that has hunted with .308 for a long time. He gets them first shot every time, at along way off if necessary. A good scope and a legal bullet and you are using the same center fired rifle lots of other people have used for years, and they are trying to prevent from being in a longer gun.

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/2_pistols_tc_encore_3006_pistol_89855.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg Photo by thehummerguy | Photobucket

Personally, I have already chosen my deer gun for this year due to the law not passing allowing me to hunt with the nice bolt action rifle I already own.

Say hello to my new little deer hunting friend. This is a pic of what I will build before deer season. 300 blackout AR15 Pistol with Sig Arm Brace.

The silencer will hide the multiple rounds I will likely have to fire to make up for my poor marksmanship skills and having to use a handgun for a rifle job.

http://rangehot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BMP-AAC-1.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So my 458 SOCOM retains some value. This awesome round needs to become more popular. :rockwoot:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, I still have some .45 Libertarian DJones and I loaded up last year.

I really wanted to try the old 32 Winchester Special.

sapper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse
    It upsets me that they declined the proposal. I think the DNR shouldn't have any say so I'm the matter. They should only be allowed to set the bag limits and seasons. If they tell me what I can and can't use the way I see it . they are infringing on my freedom. So now I have to decide if I want to carry a center fire rifle anyways, build a .458 socom or build an ar pistol. Decisions decisions.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    The new law really wouldn't have bothered me one way or the other. I have 2 deer legal guns as it is...if it passed I'd have 3. The public land we hunt doesn't allow us to take does with firearms anyways but that's what we mostly saw..during archery season at least 100 yards out. My 30-06 wouldn't have done me any good at all there.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I agree DNR should not dictate legal equipment so long as what is used will kill ethically, it should set bag limits and let landowners be the deciding factor in what they wish to allow, or not allow, on their land. Public land is the only part where public hearings need be held and voted on by all interested.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I don't see them giving up control of deciding what 's legal equipment and what's not. The animals don't belong to the people whose land they're on..they belong to the state. Their animals so they'll make the rules whether we like it or not.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I agree DNR should not dictate legal equipment so long as what is used will kill ethically,
    And that is why they need to be involved, yet they need to change that decision. I know there are a lot of ignorant and stupid people out there. I will not go into specifics, but I have seen it first hand. Someone has to decide what can be used or many would be hunting deer with a .22 and a 30 round magazine, their favorite .380 handgun, etc. They simply got this one wrong, and their reasoning clearly stated that there was no reason to prohibit the use of modern firearms other than it might offend a group of people was simply a bad decision. We abolished slavery and it was the right decision even though it offended lots of slave owners. Good decisions don't always please everyone. Someone needs to regulate what can be used to ethically kill an animal, but they simply got this one wrong. If it were the right decision, they would prohibit shotguns on deer and only allow rifles. Shotguns are not as accurate, so there are probably a lot more deer wounded that go off and die after being wounded instead of a more accurate center fire rifle killing them quickly. I might add lots of people are injured by putting a rifle scope on a shotgun who don't know the difference. A shotgun has much sharper recoil, and the 3 inch eye relief of a rifle often slams the scope into the shooter.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Paul, that ethical part is where they legitimately have a say.

LoriW, The landowners do not own the animals, and neither does the state. And for the state to do as they wish, is well... dictatorial.

Top Bottom