• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911_Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hi everyone. i was just wondering if any one has had experience with the century arms cetme clone. I was just surfing around the internet and thought that wasnt a bad price for one but i have my concerns as i have had a couple h&k's and they were not cheap. i wouldnt mind getting a cetme clone but i dont want to throw 500 dollars away. and opinions or experience would be a big hel. thanks you

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    I have one and I love the feel of it, but with century arms cetmes, they are hit and miss. If you can, check it out first. I do hear about different issues with CA Cetmes, but it is like most CA rifles. I put in about $50 more bucks into it to get what I wanted (stocks). If you do get one, dont have anyone to your right.. the brass gets shot out pretty fast. ;)
    DSC03109.jpg

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I owned one( CA. Cetme) several years back, I had a bad one. Constant multiple failures to feed and eject. Never found an ammo it liked, and never could get it slicked up and broken in like other owners advised. You know, hand cycle 1000 times before you even attempt to fire w/live ammo . Store where I bought it gave me full credit toward another gun tho'. I know the earlier PTR guns wouldn't function with mil-surp ammo,when fired brass would stick in chamber .Can't speak for the current production.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've got a CAI CETME, with sheet metal receiver, and love it. The only FTF problems I had I tracked down to 2 bad H&K alum. magazines that I had. Once I threw those away, I've never had another problem with it. It's a pleasure to shoot, except I don't like the placement of the safety, but not much can be done about that.

I've got to agree with Yeti - clear the firing line to your right, as these things eject with more enthusiasm than I've ever seen before.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I have a PTR 91 carbine (16" barrel)
    I have inspected and shot Century G3 style rifles.
    My PTR has better fit and finish, and is far more accurate than the Century clones.
    My PTR will shoot .75" groups at 100 yards with match ammo.
    The delayed roller blowback system is one that is hard to beat when done properly, but it is an EASY one to build wrong, and when built wrong, will cause it to malf in just about every way imaginable.
    You will be doing yourself a great service in buying a PTR. They are made on original HK tooling, with original HK plans.

HKPRO
    HK Parts - HKPARTS.NET

Those are two of the best resources on the web for these rifles.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I have a PTR 91 carbine (16" barrel)
    I have inspected and shot Century G3 style rifles.
    My PTR has better fit and finish, and is far more accurate than the Century clones.
    My PTR will shoot .75" groups at 100 yards with match ammo.
    The delayed roller blowback system is one that is hard to beat when done properly, but it is an EASY one to build wrong, and when built wrong, will cause it to malf in just about every way imaginable.
    You will be doing yourself a great service in buying a PTR. They are made on original HK tooling, with original HK plans.

HKPRO
    HK Parts - HKPARTS.NET

Those are two of the best resources on the web for these rifles.

I looked at PTR91s for a while, but after researching, I decided that the CETME was a better deal for me. It was less than half the price, and more reliable with milsurp ammo. Mine's no slouch on the range. I can fairly regularly get 1.5" groups at 100 yards using Argentine 7.62NATO.

My only real gripe with it which is CAI specific is the cheap buttstock. It's cheap enough to replace with either the Spanish original or with the H&K part, but it's still a pain in the rump.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I looked at PTR91s for a while, but after researching, I decided that the CETME was a better deal for me. It was less than half the price, and more reliable with milsurp ammo. Mine's no slouch on the range. I can fairly regularly get 1.5" groups at 100 yards using Argentine 7.62NATO.

My only real gripe with it which is CAI specific is the cheap buttstock. It's cheap enough to replace with either the Spanish original or with the H&K part, but it's still a pain in the rump.

That's understandable. I consider my PTR my 300-800yd rifle. I have a VZ58 for inside of 300 yards and it shoots whatever I want it to. That being said, my PTR has shot everything I have fed it.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I guess I lucked out and got a good CETME. There are some PTR models that are insanely sweet, but you definitely pay for it. Try to buy used, and try before you buy, maybe. Mine's a reliable, reasonably accurate rifle, and if you look, you can get the mags for a pittance. That's what I like about it, it runs as good as my FAL, it'll hit minute of zombie, and I can keep it fed for a long time without taking a break.

I probably overpaid for mine, in a package deal, but that's water under the bridge that I'll have to live with. If you have the cash, and have a hole in your arsenal for a military semi-auto 308 with very reasonably priced mags, I'd say yeah, it's probably a $500 rifle, easy.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    is there a difference between the .223 and .308 versions in terms of quality? or are both must-to-avoids?

I don't think that any of them are "must to avoid." I've got a CETME in 7.62NATO, and love it. I haven't had one bit of problem with it. There are several others on here who have them as well, and report having no trouble.

I think it's like any other firearm manufacturer, if they have any problems at all, even for a short time, then they are doomed to be forever known as a bad company.

Can you get a bad one? Sure. But I see plenty of reports of bad examples that escape from nearly every company, no matter how high dollar the item is. If people are willing to buy a S&W, Remington, or Colt with the understanding that it may have problems, and will need to be sent back to the company for warranty service, then why not buy a CAI with the same understanding?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't think that any of them are "must to avoid." I've got a CETME in 7.62NATO, and love it. I haven't had one bit of problem with it. There are several others on here who have them as well, and report having no trouble.

I think it's like any other firearm manufacturer, if they have any problems at all, even for a short time, then they are doomed to be forever known as a bad company.

Can you get a bad one? Sure. But I see plenty of reports of bad examples that escape from nearly every company, no matter how high dollar the item is. If people are willing to buy a S&W, Remington, or Colt with the understanding that it may have problems, and will need to be sent back to the company for warranty service, then why not buy a CAI with the same understanding?

it is true that lemons do get out for any company. but most companies stand by their products. i have read plenty of horror stories about CAI. what full-auto is experiencing with them seems to be pretty common. But I admit I am very tempted to get one. Classic Arms has them in .308 and .223, as well as the A1 Ar-15s. They also have FALs. Decisions decisions. ;)

I don't want to buy one and have a $500 paperweight because Century won't help me.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    it is true that lemons do get out for any company. but most companies stand by their products. i have read plenty of horror stories about CAI. what full-auto is experiencing with them seems to be pretty common. But I admit I am very tempted to get one. Classic Arms has them in .308 and .223, as well as the A1 Ar-15s. They also have FALs. Decisions decisions. ;)

I don't want to buy one and have a $500 paperweight because Century won't help me.

Everyone I've seen on the forums who had trouble, and actually dealt with CAI had their problem resolved by CAI with either a repair or replacement. While it's a pain to have to deal with that, it's no more of a pain just because it's CAI.

I'd buy another CETME in a minute. It may be the fact that they ARE a $500 MBR that I'd be willing to chance having to send it in for warranty repair/replacement. If it was a $1500-2000 MBR, I'd be a little more insistent on a pristine and perfect specimen.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I got a deal on mine from a friend that had to thin the herd, so I gave it a try. I like it. I havn't had any real issues, charging handle sticks a little but its getting better. Overall I'm happy with mine.
    629306b3-1.jpg

Top Bottom