• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Thinking about getting a slide and frame redone in either of these by Hoosier Gun Coat.

What are the major differences and advantages/disadvantages of going with Duracoat over Cerakote or vice versa? Have any of you used Hoosier Gun Coat before? If so were you satisfied?

Can anyone recommend a "better" establishment than HGC LOCALLY?

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When HGC was more active, he posted several examples of his work...looked pretty good.

I've also been told that some of his coat-jobs looked downright amateurish, complete with paint runs.

At least here through INGO, I'd say there have been many more positive reviews than negative.

While I have no personal experience, I think I've gleaned that Cerakoat is more durable than Duracoat. I not know for sure.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I had them do a pistol for me and they did a great job. That said I believe cerakote is a more durable finish. I have an 870 done in cerakote that has several thousand rounds through it if you wanna see what it looks like.....

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    HGC did a Kimber for me in Cerakote. It turned out phenomenal. I'd kill to get that gun back. :(

DSC01235.jpg

IIRC, oven cured Cerakote is a more durable finish and will be ready to go almost immediately. My Kimber stood up to kydex better than any factory finish I've owned (HK Hostile environment, Glock Tennifer, SW Melonite) The Duracoat takes alot longer to cure, and messing with it before it's fully cured will mess up the finish.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    yeah, at 2-3x the price of a cerakote job by HGC, they're a bit spendy. Cerakote is probably the best bang for the buck. If it wears out sooner, you save enough to get it coated again!

I'm going to be sending the M&P slide out to get redone in something tougher than the melonite, and debating myself whether the ionbond is really worth 2x as much money and a 6 week longer turnaround time.

They say you can pick only 2 from the menu of good, cheap, or fast. Ionbond is neither cheap nor fast, so I hope it is double-good. :):

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm going to be sending the M&P slide out to get redone in something tougher than the melonite, and debating myself whether the ionbond is really worth 2x as much money and a 6 week longer turnaround time.

You should have it Tennifer'd... :whistle:

Top Bottom