Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    We have a pit. She's the sweetest dog ever. She bit me once while playing, that was the last time. As long as they're treated right, they're fine.

Now there's a statement.

I'm not really sure which way you were going with this. My nieces's dogs are indoor dogs that are part of the family but yet one of them killed another dog.

I was responding to , shes a sweet dog, the last person she bit was me, and if you treat them right , they are fine.

So what happens when a known biter is being walked and a kid grabs the dogs tail or accidentally steps on the dogs paw ? Is it going to bite again ?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    As much as I like my dogs, they will not get a second chance to bite another person.

QFT! My pit would not get a second chance to do it either. Nor would any other breed of dog I had. I will not have an aggressive dog. Period.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would agree that they do a LOT of damage. However, they're also a fairly large dog. I had no choice with the Pit. She came with the girlfriend. Great temperament though.

Unless she's a redhead. Redheads bite. :(

Oh, you were talking about the dog.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Breeds look, and behave differently. Generally in allignment with the breed standard.
    In other words, I don't buy the "a dog is a dog" argument for a second.

Can you get a terrier to retrieve? Sure. But you are training against nature. It's far easier to get a retriever to retrieve. You can also teach a monkey to wear a suit and ride a bicycle. But when stressed or threatened, that monkey isn't going to loosen his necktie and pedal his bike to safety. He's going to climb a tree.

My most recent dog was a terrier with an ENORMOUS prey instinct.
    If he hadn't been deaf and mostly blind, he would have gotten every squirrel and chipmunk in Indy.
    VERY aggressive towards vermin. Super friendly towards other dogs (a lover, not a fighter) and mostly disinterested in humans.

My first, a Doberman with a goofy personality who loved to cuddle and was an incurable "leaner". She always assumed other dogs wanted to play, cats wanted to be chased, and people were friends- unless she picked up a vibe that told her to behave differently. And I can't say she was ever wrong when she got protective.

So when I read that a pitbull or pack of pit bulls escaped their yard and attacked another animal, or child, or elderly neighbor, or just someone passing by; I'm not surprised nor shocked.

No more so than if I read a story about a bloodhound tracking down a lost child or a Labrador winning a dock competition, or a border collie winning an agility competition.

Just my 2cents.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm not really sure which way you were going with this. My nieces's dogs are indoor dogs that are part of the family but yet one of them killed another dog.

Yeaaaa.... And indoor dogs are well known not to bite humans because of what ?
    because your Niece treats them like family members that the dogs now think like a human ?
    Or
    Maybe how nice it is living in a environmently controlled environment ?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Yeaaaa.... And indoor dogs are well known not to bite humans because of what ?
    because your Niece treats them like family members that the dogs now think like a human ?
    Or
    Maybe how nice it is living in a environmently controlled environment ?
    I think we are saying the same thing. My point was that you never really know how any animal is going to react in any situation so why risk having a breed whose reputation is to be aggressive.

A lot of people think that it is only Pits that are treated badly that attack but I am saying that these 3 were treated great and still one of them attacked. They don't even know which one it was. They are all 3 grey and the woman whose dog was killed could not tell which one it was. They still think that this will never happen again, and I fear it will.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I think we are saying the same thing. My point was that you never really know how any animal is going to react in any situation so why risk having a breed whose reputation is to be aggressive.

A lot of people think that it is only Pits that are treated badly that attack but I am saying that these 3 were treated great and still one of them attacked. They don't even know which one it was. They are all 3 grey and the woman whose dog was killed could not tell which one it was. They still think that this will never happen again, and I fear it will.

I agree.... I hope they carry good insurance, after it happened once it's just, when is it going to happen again, not if it will happen.
    I myself would never own a bully breed dog, but if those were my dogs, all would be in Sleepyville right after the attack.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    If my dog was on a leash and 3 pits attacked him, I don't know where I would stop in response.

That is p*ss poor training by niece B, and it's just a matter of time until the pack kills another dog or attacks a child.

And with all due respect, niece B and her family are certifiable.

And please, enough with the 'pugs can be vicious animals too' shtick... It's not helping whatever point you're trying to make. Unless your pit bull was mauled to death by a pekinese.

I don't think it has anything to do with training. I think it has more to do with breeding.

I am not a fan of the dogs but certifiable may be a little strong. I think they are blinded by their affection for the breed and like a lot of people try to justify both their and their dogs behaviors. They simply do not want to admit that at least one of these dogs has an issue.

I personally believe that there is a certain "root for the underdog" kind of mentality that takes place. A lot of Pit owners all say it's media bias or spin, but that is BS. There has to be something to report before the media can report it. That's like saying they report minority crime more. We all know why there is more minority crime reported......because there is more minority crime.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Any dog can me made mean. And a lot of morons make pits mean. They have a fierce looking stance.

I have a pit. He's a big baby. I can't get him to bark when someone comes over. Most of the time I have to lock him up when strangers come over. Not because of meanness. It's because he won't leave them alone. He wants petted, scratch & cuddled. He wants a lot of attention.

I am never going to get rid of my dog because of someones unwarranted fear. FWIW, if you want to talk about mean dogs let's talk about poodles. I've been bit by a lot more of them then any other dog.

^^THIS^^^^I am not an expert, but for what its worth pits (and Rottweilers) are the custom house 1911s of dogs. They can be made to have a hair triggers and require the owner to have absolute and precise control. In many instances you can look to the owner for why the dog is a problem. The owner must have the dogs unquestioned obedience at all times or there will be trouble

Top Bottom