Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    ^^THIS^^^^I am not an expert, but for what its worth pits (and Rottweilers) are the custom house 1911s of dogs. They can be made to have a hair triggers and require the owner to have absolute and precise control. In many instances you can look to the owner for why the dog is a problem. The owner must have the dogs unquestioned obedience at all times or there will be trouble

The day that your 1911 grows a brain and can decide for itself when to fire, or when you develop total mind control over an animal I will accept your analogy. Until then I am calling Bull****!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Accepted. I was attempting to speak more toward the point that a pit bull owner (or 1911 owner) who has a nearly empty skill set is probly a danger to himself and others. There is a reason most people shouldn't pick a CQB or an ED Brown for their first gun, but the attempt to use a gun analogy WAS a bit of a stretch. That said, if that type of dog doesn't ABSOLUTELY accept your authority under all circumstances there will be trouble. Most owners can't pull this off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Accepted. I was attempting to speak more toward the point that a pit bull owner (or 1911 owner) who has a nearly empty skill set is probly a danger to himself and others. There is a reason most people shouldn't pick a CQB or an ED Brown for their first gun, but the attempt to use a gun analogy WAS a bit of a stretch. That said, if that type of dog doesn't ABSOLUTELY accept your authority under all circumstances there will be trouble. Most owners can't pull this off.

I completely understood the analogy. Not a stretch at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The day that your 1911 grows a brain and can decide for itself when to fire, or when you develop total mind control over an animal I will accept your analogy. Until then I am calling Bull****!

And I am saying I get it. whats the issue. Not a stretch at all in my mind now that I think of how so many I have known treat the dogs.
    It was a good one.

I realize this is your thread but lets relax

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I have a Boston Terrior that can turn a frisbee into a deadly weapon. And he don't like change. And he is fenced in. For protection from the real killers.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    And I am saying I get it. whats the issue. Not a stretch at all in my mind now that I think of how so many I have known treat the dogs.
    It was a good one.

I realize this is your thread but lets relax
    I didn't mean it to come off as upset. My point is that unlike a gun with a hair trigger which is an inanimate object that will never go off without a human, a dog has a mind of its own and can never be 100% controlled.

In my family, we use the term "I'm calling Bull****" as a way to say I disagree. I guess I forget that not everyone knows me or the intent behind what I say.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't mean it to come off as upset. My point is that unlike a gun with a hair trigger which is an inanimate object that will never go off without a human, a dog has a mind of its own and can never be 100% controlled.

In my family, we use the term "I'm calling Bull****" as a way to say I disagree. I guess I forget that not everyone knows me or the intent behind what I say.

I agree on your position for the most part.
    I am no fan of the breed in question.
    My experiences have been less than fair with them
    So many hard A**** in our area get them to be tough.
    Then they get out or are dumped and we have to deal with them
    A few serious problems with these stray's and there is zero compassion for them.
    Just no way to know what they are about until possibly to late.

As to the analogy, I get it. Hair trigger. So many P.B's are trained this way. I have seen way to many of them.
    No knock on the folks that have good ones but yes, the owners have a lot to do with this.
    Consider another issue......Puppy mills, inbreeding for profit etc.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Don't blame the breed , blame the owner... Have raised and bred them for years and there is nothing wrong with the dogs, but some are a lot like people, some are more gamier then others and quick to fight and others are timid.. But again look at the owners before you blame the breed... I call Bull**** on all American Bull Terriers are just bad dogs... I hate the slang "pitbull" BS ... If you bred these dogs you would understand these dogs have papers and not a puppy mill dogs.. I would NEVER sell to anyone who had the intent to use them for fighting and when raised with love and care they are a great family dog just as most others... Dogs "all dogs" are pack animals and need a pack leader, so they need to know where they rank in the pack... My son use to have one of our dogs who slept with him in his bed from 10 weeks old till she died and was his best friend and would of protected him to the death... She is sadly missed by all of us and after her death is when I got out of the breeding... But think before you speek about a breed if you really don't know nothing about them and only know what you hear on the news... I will say in the years I bred these dogs I only had one dog who didn't like people and he was brought back to us and we kept him till he died and we knew he didn't like stranger and would put him in the bedroom if someone come over and was a great guard dog.. Don't get me wrong he wouldn't just run up and bite someone, he just didn't like strangers... American Bull Terriers don't know they have the jaw pressure they have, they are just like any other dog bite and let go unless taught to bite and hang on... Where they get the bite and hang on is when they are young people like to think they are playing with them when they use a pant leg or something of that nature and let them tug and fight the tugging and think its cool but unknowingly they are teaching the dog a very bad habit and this goes back to blame the owner and not the breed...

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Don't blame the breed , blame the owner... Have raised and bred them for years and there is nothing wrong with the dogs, but some are a lot like people, some are more gamier then others and quick to fight and others are timid.. But again look at the owners before you blame the breed... I call Bull**** on all American Bull Terriers are just bad dogs... I hate the slang "pitbull" BS ... If you bred these dogs you would understand these dogs have papers and not a puppy mill dogs.. I would NEVER sell to anyone who had the intent to use them for fighting and when raised with love and care they are a great family dog just as most others... Dogs "all dogs" are pack animals and need a pack leader, so they need to know where they rank in the pack... My son use to have one of our dogs who slept with him in his bed from 10 weeks old till she died and was his best friend and would of protected him to the death... She is sadly missed by all of us and after her death is when I got out of the breeding... But think before you speek about a breed if you really don't know nothing about them and only know what you hear on the news... I will say in the years I bred these dogs I only had one dog who didn't like people and he was brought back to us and we kept him till he died and we knew he didn't like stranger and would put him in the bedroom if someone come over and was a great guard dog.. Don't get me wrong he wouldn't just run up and bite someone, he just didn't like strangers... American Bull Terriers don't know they have the jaw pressure they have, they are just like any other dog bite and let go unless taught to bite and hang on... Where they get the bite and hang on is when they are young people like to think they are playing with them when they use a pant leg or something of that nature and let them tug and fight the tugging and think its cool but unknowingly they are teaching the dog a very bad habit and this goes back to blame the owner and not the breed...

:yesway:.......
    All'a that.....always said......ain' no bad dogs......just bad owners.......

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

This right here. I'm out of rep.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh

I'll take you at your word because you are correct in saying I don't know the breed that well.

What I will say is that with some breeds you don't really have to worry about bad owners. You would be hard pressed to get a Golden Retriever to ever be truly aggressive. I feel confident in saying I could use that same pant leg to play with a Golden and they would still never kill another dog or bite a human with any severity. I'm not saying ever, but most Goldens have an extremely sweet nature, but maybe they just have great owners.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's odd, I've only been bitten by one dog in my life and it was a golden retriever. Yes, it is rare, but it still boils down to proper training. Dogs are like children in the sense that they need to be taught what is acceptable behavior. If they aren't taught, any dog will think they're in charge and act accordingly.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We adpoted Daphne last year after she was rescued from a kill shelter. She was born deaf and we have no idea about her background. I have never seen a more loving animal and we've had our fair share of dogs. She wants to be on me or (mostly) my wife, near us is not good enough, she wants to be on one of us all the time. She likes strangers a lot more than I do and has yet to show the slightest hint of aggression in spite of being attacked herself by smaller dogs.
    imagejpg1_zps54dde164.jpg

I found Phylo curled up on a pile of rock salt at a gas station shivering in the cold when he was about 8 weeks old. He had been mistreated and malnourished and wouldn't come out of hiding when I was home for the first two weeks we had him, he was terrified of men. In the fifteen years we had him he acted aggressively toward one person and that person was someone I didn't care for either. He never met a dog or a cat he didn't want to play with and was extremely fond of my children.
    PhyloAvatar.jpg

P1020512.jpg

It's not the breed, never has been. Just like it's not the guns and never has been. Dogs and people are both capable of violence, some are predictable and many are not. Vilifying an entire breed, race, religion or color does the majority a disservice.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Thx for the rep guys, but that's not why I post the statement it's just this BS yapping about these bad dogs hits close to home for me and people need to educate themselves before spewing such BS... As far as golden retriever's go "ANY" dog can be trained to attack "ANY" big or small need not matter...!!!! There are some more suited for the job, but don't cute yourself short by thinking they are all angels... That's just narrow minded is all that is... Look at service dogs there are all kinds for different jobs from little to big they all have the training in them given the right training... People believe what they want to believe just like the ugly black gun thing.. Open you mind and don't think it's the dogs fault for there actions, its the way they are raised/ "OWNERS" and not the dog...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom