• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Was conflicted between putting this in The Cutting Edge or Accessories and Gear. Mods please move if necessary.

Anyone have advice for me when looking at a used chainsaw? Honestly, I have no idea what I'd use it for, but I want one. I saw some small ones at my local pawn shop (12-14" bars) but they were covered in oil. I know that's normal for 2-strokes. But what else should I look for? Not needing a super long bar but would like the length and power to do some work with. Also looking to buy used so what should I look at when buying used? I just might get one of those smaller chainsaws. One was a Poulan and can't think of the other at the moment. I know Echo is generally junk.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I recommend sticking with either Stihl or Husqvarna. Generally, if they have good compression and run well, you will get a lot of trouble-free use out of them. Be attentive to burned paint on the bar near the edges. That is indicative that someone has been running it with a dull chain causing excess heat which takes the tempering out of the bar which is an extra expense you don't need. Aside from that, it shouldn't give you any trouble.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Husqvarna or Stihl for me. No matter how they've been mistreated, they're generally easy to repair/rebuild and well worth doing so. :D

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    It really depends on how you're going to use it.
    Are you going to cut fire wood, like 3 to 6 cords a year? Just going to use it around the house maybe 3 or 4 times a year? Got a lot of land and going to be cutting almost daily? Also log diameter is a big factor on what size CC you may need.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Where can I find good used ones? Just scour pawn shops and craigslist?

That and the classifieds in the paper. Depending on what you are planning to spend, you may be able to find a new one that would meet your needs. You can get smaller quality saws that aren't that bad. For example, Stihl will generally have models intended for home and farm use less expensive that those for daily professional use. You may also try ebay.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It really depends on how you're going to use it.
    Are you going to cut fire wood, like 3 to 6 cords a year? Just going to use it around the house maybe 3 or 4 times a year? Got a lot of land and going to be cutting almost daily? Also log diameter is a big factor on what size CC you may need.

It's really going to sit around and I'll use it when I have junk wood to cut up. Might use it in the future more seriously but for now not so much. I am slowly accumulating quality tools now for SHTF or just for use later in life.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Is anyone against buying an older model of chainsaw? How is part availablity of discontinued saws?

Playing off the Garand/1911 analogy I threw out earlier, it seems ridiculously easy to buy replacement parts for the old -good- stuff. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy either a Husky or Stihl that was less than, say, 30 years old if it would start up and the price was right.

I've had two Poulans and they were, hands down, the hardest starting saws I've ever dealt with. I'll never have another.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I would stay under a 50CC saw for your needs. The above brands already posted are fine saw's. Some others brands to look at are Dolmar/Makita, Jonsered, Older Craftsman (not the new stuff), and I'm sure there are others that are fine as well.

If you see one you want, get the model # and goto arboristsight.com and ask the history of it. There are some very knowable people over there in the chainsaw industry.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Are Poulans any good? I see many of them with the bar size I like.

Depends on what you are going to cut. The Poulan Pros are decent.
    One thing to consider if you are going to let it sit for extended periods of time is finding a source of ethanol free gas or running the tanks dry after use. Ethanol kills 2 strokes. I am a Husky man. Ive had them all at one time I had over 15 saws recently I sold them to fund my gun buying. If you want a great mid sized do all saw pick your self up a nice used 372xp. I've found some deals in pawn shops but you have to know what you are looking for. I'd try local classifieds and clist. I find a lot of people take worn out saws to pawnshops just to dump them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How do I tell the difference?

New ones:

homelite-hcs4245a2-petrol-chain-saw-42-cm.jpeg

A02D_24517_129604175041004849vFIfi29ItQ.jpg

Old ones:

Homelite_Super_XL_Automatic_Chainsaw.jpg

props_ed2_chainsaw_photo.jpg

homelite_sez_chainsaw_ope.jpg

offbrands001-2.jpg

1202012124455PM8567Homelite%20Super%20XL%20Automatic%20Chainsaw%20With%20Case.JPG

GEDC0991.jpg

Homelitesaws009.jpg

Top Bottom