Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What was the cost for instructors to reserve bays or the building for training? Also how does the cost compare to other ranges used for instructing?

Just being a member of the club, and I carried liability insurance specific to that club. The same arrangement was the case when I did training at Atlanta. At The Riley Conservation club you have to be a member and can rent the entire club for $70 including the club house, or a portion for $35. I also carry insurance for that specific club.

Hitting the members again in this case is wrong. They have already paid to use the club. Forcing me to come to meetings several times per year to schedule things every 60 day increases the expense and the time as well. I can only speak for myself. But my training at the club last year cost the club 4 hours of having the lights on in the clubhouse. That class paid $60 in guest fees alone. I think the club came out ok. Maybe other classes were costing them money but I doubt it.

This is just the final straw for me at MCFG. I am just voting with my feet and my membership.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    An instructor can confirm this, but I do not think there was any fee for using the building or the bays. It was a service that the
    club was providing to the membership. However, every non-member that attended the training had to pay the guest fee.

Correct. Just membership and insurance.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This is unfortunate to hear. I attended one of Coach's classes a while back at MCF&G (I'm a member). I would not have been happy to pay "admission" to use a range I am already a member of.

Did someone have a problem with a bay being tied up for the time of the class? Or some other reason?

Seems counterproductive for a range to put a tax on safety training.

I could see if there were instructors monopolizing the bays every weekend, all day, etc. If that's the case, there could be other steps taken.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach, any plans to bring this up at the February meeting?

I have no such plans. I plan to train else where. I greatly appreciate all of the members in the past whom have taken classes. Thank you. I hope to work with you all again in the future, but alas in a different location.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I am a member and have also taken several of coaches classes there. I will be asking why the change in policy once I get the contact information (the club website is not up to date yet).
    Coach provided valuable training at the club but there is a rift/tension between him and the board hich is a shame. Now it will be a loss to the club as his classes brought new people into the sport and the club itself.

I will be asking the new Club president why the change when his information becomes available.
    I will also be asking if Friday night steel will be required to pay an additional $10 per session, trap, Appleseed etc. etc. since this would be in line with the new policy. Not that I want this to happen but it would need to happen to be fair a cross the playing field.
    Similarly any classes taught there by Dee Benett or Chris Pope would have to be subject to the new $10 per person (member or not) daily fee.

It looks like everyone looses here, or at least everyone who is trying to get training, increase their safety awareness and improve as a shooter!

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If a class was only members did the range get any money from the class reserving a bay or the building? Can any member reserve a bay or the range? Were there complaints about bays or the range being reserved a lot of weekends?

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    As a member, I can't see any way there would be significant complaints. I've *never* had a problem finding a place to shoot even when one or more sections were reserved.

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As a member, I can't see any way there would be significant complaints. I've *never* had a problem finding a place to shoot even when one or more sections were reserved.

Thanks for the answer. Are any members allowed to reserve bays or the range or only instructors allowed to?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't believe so. I've only seen training groups and shooting events reserve sections. The only time I can remember the entire range being reserved was before the two bays were added. Since that point, I don't believe the entire range has been locked out to regular members (except for the weekly Thursday morning lawn mowing).

Kane406

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Speedway
    I will be asking the new Club president why the change when his information becomes available.
    I will also be asking if Friday night steel will be required to pay an additional $10 per session, trap, Appleseed etc. etc. since this would be in line with the new policy. Not that I want this to happen but it would need to happen to be fair a cross the playing field.
    Similarly any classes taught there by Dee Benett or Chris Pope would have to be subject to the new $10 per person (member or not) daily fee.

It looks like everyone looses here, or at least everyone who is trying to get training, increase their safety awareness and improve as a shooter!

The change applies to training classes, not regular club functions (FNS, Trap, Bowling Pins, etc.). And it applies to all instructors.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    These trainers are club members that are running training businesses that are using the clubs facilities.
    Most of them have been complying with the rules.
    It is not unreasonable for the club to charge a fee for another business to use the club's facilities.

A fee per student ($10) is much better for the training business than a flat fee to rent the facilities,
    especially for those that only have a few students per class.

If you go to a conference center for a class, the training business has rented the space from the conference center.

Why would the board allow another business entity use the clubs facilities for free?

Somehow the scheduling process allowed the training businesses to monopolize the clubhouse to a point where the 10meter air gun program was shut out.
    This is an instance where club members were "inconvenienced" by the training programs.

Some trainers seem to recognize a good deal.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    These trainers are club members that are running training businesses that are using the clubs facilities.
    Most of them have been complying with the rules.
    It is not unreasonable for the club to charge a fee for another business to use the club's facilities.

A fee per student ($10) is much better for the training business than a flat fee to rent the facilities,
    especially for those that only have a few students per class.

If you go to a conference center for a class, the training business has rented the space from the conference center.

Why would the board allow another business entity use the clubs facilities for free?

Somehow the scheduling process allowed the training businesses to monopolize the clubhouse to a point where the 10meter air gun program was shut out.
    This is an instance where club members were "inconvenienced" by the training programs.

Some trainers seem to recognize a good deal.

I am sorry air gunners lost their venue and I would be miffed about that too. I acknowledge the clubs right to charge additional amount for rental also to generate revenue. Sadly it looks like a no win situation here to me. Air gunners shut down and well respected instructor going elsewhere to provide his training/services.
    I have yet to use the clubhouse for any training yet. That would be limited to two of coaches classes and two Appleseeds so I cannot say who was responsible for the monopolization you mention. That said, maybe the club saw the opportunity to increase their revenue by renting out the clubhouse!
    I have been promoting training to some of my colleagues along with joining a club like MCF&G and will continue to do so.
    See you on the range.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I believe this club is very much actively promoting firearms training.
    There are multiple types of classes taught by multiple instructors offered regularly.

Maintaining a balance of regular club functions (FNS, Bowling Pins, Trap, NRA Bullseye, etc) with
    an increasing number of training options will be a challenge.
    Hopefully, the board will find an equitable solution.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Price bumps would be passed on to the client, which in this case is the member. As a trainer at this club I am a member. I carry liability insurance for training specific to MCFG. Why should a member have to pay twice for the use of the range that they have already paid for?

What we are seeing here is a change in policy from the new leadership of the club.

Perhaps the charge is not for the privilege of using the range, but for use of the range that excludes other members who have also otherwise paid for the privilege of using the range at that time?

That is to say: members who attend a class held at the range are paying twice to use the range, but members not in the class are simultaneously being deprived of use of the range - use that they also have paid for.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Perhaps the charge is not for the privilege of using the range, but for use of the range that excludes other members who have also otherwise paid for the privilege of using the range at that time?

That is to say: members who attend a class held at the range are paying twice to use the range, but members not in the class are simultaneously being deprived of use of the range - use that they also have paid for.

Not sure why you are trying to justify the price hike. Since the bays have been added, I've *never* had a problem finding an area to shoot at MCFG. No one is being deprived.

Top Bottom