• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Ok, not a knife guy here, just a broke college student here who is a CCW permit holder and as I got more and more into studying self defense situations, I realized due to the extreme close range of most defensive encounters and the fact that Im carrying just 9x18 ball ammo(yes I know the HP vs ball debate), I figured for when I carry, and also those times when I cant carry a gun I should get a fixed blade knife to conceal and also stash around my place.

I was wondering weather it would be better to get one of those S&W HST type boot dagger knives, or instead to get a glock knife, and also keep it in my car for fishing/hunting/camping/survival.

Also, does anyone know where to get inexpensive knife training? Preferably something that integrates it with a marital art, and a focus on close quaters as I wrestled all four years in high school and have done some judo and boxing. I also keep a 3.5 inch kerhsaw auto folder on my person at all times, so would there also be anything for training to use something like that

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    As inmates do; practice carrying a single edge razor blade in your mouth at all times.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I carry small fixed blades religiously nowadays, and the key to doing it comfortably is the sheath. Tracker Dan is the king of IWB kydex, but his stuff is hard to get and expensive when you do. Blade Rigs took his design, and employed it on a variety of knives, most of which are favorites of the Sayoc group. I've also had them do some custom work, including my Winkler Operator and Kramer Libre Fighter. The coolest feature of that style of sheath is the blade can be carried in either direction, and the cloth grabbing clip will work on anything (underwear, board and mma shorts, etc.....) without requiring a belt.

BLADES & SHEATHS - Blade Rigs // Precision KYDEX Rig Systems, Sheaths & Holsters

If you want to learn how to use a knife in a fight, you can't beat Fillipino Martial Arts like Kali (also called Escrima or Arnis depending on who's teaching it). There are also some groups that have taken the FMA concept, and tweaked it like Sayoc and Libre.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Here's a couple of my favorites:

Left to right:
    Headhunter Blades Rat Knife
    Winkler Operator
    Winkler Madumi
    Winkler Dynamis
    Tracker Dan Bloodshark
    Tracker Dan Battlestar
    Tracker Dan Honey Badger

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ok, not a knife guy here, just a broke college student here who is a CCW permit holder

You know in Indiana that's not a thing right?

As for knives, for a "cheap" fixed blade, I'd at least look at the Kabar Hinderance. It's a copy of the Hinderer TDI, which is a mean ars knife.

Shadow Tech knives have some good options for the money as well. Spyderco Swick 3 maybe?

Really, if you're looking at the S&W boot knife or the glock knife, IMO, you'd be just as fine, if not better, if you just carry a some sort of Mora.

If it can be a folder, then the Spyderco Matriarch, Rescue (with a wave is a plus), or a Civilian would be a good option.

If you want a survival knife to keep in the car, Becker BK2.

Just because you're in college doesn't mean you can't spend $50 more and get something with triple the quality.

We all had to cut corners in college. Warm Milwakee's Best Light, Clear Creak Ice, Canadian Mist, Admiral Nelson, etc.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    A sharp USA made Old Hickory in a Kydex sheath is a better / faster blade than a Glock unless you wanna open up ammo cans. That Sh*t and Wesson is junk IMO. Invest in a blunted / non-edged training knife before executing the purchase of a live blade because your actual needs might change during training as you go from standing to ground fighting back to standing. Arnis / Escrima / Kali / Dog Brothers / etc all good when practiced. Jack McVickers is in the Bloomington area. Look him up.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've heard McVickers is a bad ass, but I kind of think he's out of Terre Haute?...... I could be wrong, and honestly hope I am, because I wouldn't mind switching things up.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Check out Cold Steel line of push daggers. Simple, affordable, concealable and they don't really require a whole lot of special training to use.

Say what you will about cold steel and I'm not exactly a fan of theirs, but they make some of the best designed push knives on the market. I just wonder who they stole it from.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree about Cold Steel Push Daggers. Awesome knives. Some of the rest of theirs leave a lower class rating. I own a few, have a Lite Version Tanto that about sliced my fingertip off during unwrapping the blade when new. Never found a Cold Steel that sharp in my lifetime. All blades-be careful.
    Have a couple Moras, Kabar(full size and short version, that is used a lot in my backyard), even an import Kurki (Pakistan made), that afer a little stone and file work is pretty sharp now. Green River makes a tough knife, but as others mentioned, like a kitchen knife. Stay away from Rambo knives, most break at the handle due to not having an all steel length blade. Look at Cold Steel Bushman, they have improved the sheaths and even send a faro rod to start a campfire. Tough knife too.
    Good luck.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Ok, not a knife guy here, just a broke college student here who is a CCW permit holder and as I got more and more into studying self defense situations, I realized due to the extreme close range of most defensive encounters and the fact that Im carrying just 9x18 ball ammo(yes I know the HP vs ball debate), I figured for when I carry, and also those times when I cant carry a gun I should get a fixed blade knife to conceal and also stash around my place.

I was wondering weather it would be better to get one of those S&W HST type boot dagger knives, or instead to get a glock knife, and also keep it in my car for fishing/hunting/camping/survival.

Also, does anyone know where to get inexpensive knife training? Preferably something that integrates it with a marital art, and a focus on close quaters as I wrestled all four years in high school and have done some judo and boxing. I also keep a 3.5 inch kerhsaw auto folder on my person at all times, so would there also be anything for training to use something like that

Boker Plus Sector Fixed Blade Dagger Knife with Paracord Handle 02BO430 New | eBay

The above link will show a Boker Plus Sector. You can carry it vertically or horizontally and it's light weight with a paracord wrapping. This one is $43.99 and comes with a kydex sheath and versatile Boker belt loop. I like it so I can heat the kydex and conform it to exactly how I want it. Very good for stealth/conceal carry.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Boot knife would not be wise as I highly doubt anyone would have time to reach to their boot for their blade (may be wrong) I've always seen the boot knife as a last resort when your firearm and edc blade fail, I would get something that rides on a belt or even a good solid locking, switch assist folder would be advantageous

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Boot knife would not be wise as I highly doubt anyone would have time to reach to their boot for their blade (may be wrong) I've always seen the boot knife as a last resort when your firearm and edc blade fail, I would get something that rides on a belt or even a good solid locking, switch assist folder would be advantageous

Switchblades are not as fast or reliable as Hollywood makes them seem. Most, even some of the best, just by design do not have the strongest locking mechanisms. A folder with the Emerson "Wave" is faster, more reliable and ZT and Emerson both now offer frame locks. Spyderco's Endura with a lock back design is also a very solid lock up and considerably cheaper.

OP check out the Bradford knives Guardian 3 with false top edge. I ordered straight from Bradford along with the Kydex sheath all for under $200.00. For the materials and craftsmanship that is a bargain. 3" blade of M390 stainless with a handle no longer than an Izula makes for a great little EDC fixed blade.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Since you don't have training yet, I would recommend you don't drop a lot of coin on a knife. Do some research and price shopping for what you think you would like for now. Carry it, use it for daily use like opening a box, or cutting your steak. See what you like and don't like about it. Then your next purchase you maybe spend a little more. The Smith & Wesson you mentioned is fine for daily carry. I actually have one, but had a kydex sheath made for it because I hated the leather one that came with it.
    Most important, get training! Knowing how to use a knife is way more important than how much you spend on one. Good luck.

deep6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    City
    Tradertator,
    I apologize if you got a previous message from me, not sure exactly how to work this forum. I was wondering if you could give me some insight into some of these knives. They are all in my top favorites that I have been looking at for some time. If I was to get only one, would you pick the dynamis blade, or the bloodshark? Also, have you ever bought any of Joe Watson's blades? I am on the fence about his Magni and his Mini Bowie as well. Thanks!

Top Bottom