• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Flashlights is a very important part of my kit. I've seen cheaper lights break and fail under hard use and ruin trips.
    I'll invest my money in a quality product that I know is bomb proof and will work every time I need it.
    People should be less worried about cost and more worried about value.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Flashlights is a very important part of my kit. I've seen cheaper lights break and fail under hard use and ruin trips.
    I'll invest my money in a quality product that I know is bomb proof and will work every time I need it.
    People should be less worried about cost and more worried about value.

Agreed.

Klarus, Fenix Gear come to mind. examples of each are as follows:

Going Gear - Klarus ST11 900 Lumen CREE XM-L2 LED Flashlight - Flashlights - Flashlights

Going Gear - Fenix PD32 CREE XP-G S2 2 x CR123 / 1x 18650 330 Lumens LED Flashlight - Flashlights - Flashlights

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    If you're looking for "hand out" lights that you know may get broken, lost, or never returned, go with the freebies from Harbor Freight. I have a bowl full of them, if I hand them out and they never come back, big deal. And they even come with batteries.

Of course, I keep my Pelican where only I can get to it...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As someone who has been a flashlight fanatic for more than 40 years, I keep several flashlights on my person as EDC. I don't plan to hand out flashlights to those who can't hand on to their own, but there are plenty of decent single-AA flashlights out there. Batteries Plus has several styles for $10. I have a Photon flashlight on each key ring, my wallet and on a neck-chain. That's in addition to my EDC flashlight.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    My father-in-law bought a three-pack of lights at Costco that were pretty good quality. They are bright with two brightness settings and strobe. I think it was $15 or $20 for a three-pack. They are called Tech Light Lumen Master. They claim to put out 150 lumens.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Bass pro has the little stubby led lights in a 6 pack. I only see them packaged that way during their big sales, but I grab a pack of em when I see em.

This.

Also 3 for $20 at Costco for some really decent high output models. They used to have the strike bezel, but no longer. Were 150 lumens, now 200 lumens. High, low, and strobe.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Fenix Gear and Klarus Lights are two of the best alternatives to Surefire IMO, seconded by Olight and 4sevens.

I own a 150 lumen Klarus P1A that is aluminum, waterproof to IPX standards, and has reverse polarity protection. All for $49.00

Others are right about you get what you pay for but that does NOT mean you have to shell out $100+ for a quality light when there ARE MANY other brands that provide mil-spec flashlights/torches at very reasonable prices and which are just as durable in not more so.

Going Gear - Going Gear - Smyrna, Georgia is an excellent source for said items.

I agree that Fenix makes great lights (4 in the family so far...no issues over the last several years...want more)...never heard of Klarus.

Seems like the link you gave has decent stock, but Amazon's prices on the Fenix lights are lower and the lights will always (if over $25 or you have prime) ship free.

If you're patient, you can score some killer deals..got a 315 lumen PD32 for $46...the next week, I got another for just over $36...

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I agree that Fenix makes great lights (4 in the family so far...no issues over the last several years...want more)...never heard of Klarus.

Seems like the link you gave has decent stock, but Amazon's prices on the Fenix lights are lower and the lights will always (if over $25 or you have prime) ship free.

If you're patient, you can score some killer deals..got a 315 lumen PD32 for $46...the next week, I got another for just over $36...

I do go through amazon most of the time for the same reason. I use goinggear as a reference to see whats available and reviewed in new tactical lights.

The PD32 is indeed an outstanding light, you know they have the Ultimate edition that pumps out over 600 lumens from the same light using an S2 (i think) LED.

Klarus is a competitor to Fenix, a bit less in the quality department as far as details to the ergonomics but this light has not failed me yet and it is beat up all the hell from dropping it on concrete over 4 foot high (above waist level)

I just ordered a Fenix TK15, hoping it looks as sleek as the PD32 :cool:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I love these lights: I've carried one every day for the past six months and it hasn't failed yet. Stupidly bright, stupidly cheap, and they use AA's, which is a must in my book.

Cree 7W 300LM Mini LED Flashlight - Amazon.com

I ordered 4 of these guys shortly after I saw this post. I got them in yesterday. I also found a great deal on them, like $3.72, free shipping.

Nice, sturdy little light. The tailcap button is not only on and off with a firm push, but also, with a small tap, dims the output. With one more tap, it strobes.

The strike bezel looks more for appearance than use; the points are not at all sharp, and mine will be riding in the pocket of my jeans.

Nomadicmutt already got a rep from me, so now I gotta look for another post from him to give him another one. :p

Blessings,
    Bill

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I would think in most cases we should be at least the same price as amazon if not lower once you throw in the ingo code. The exception being that they like to buy up previous versions of lights at a discount and sell them cheap. For Fenix we offer free exchanges on defective lights, we just send out a new one with a pre paid return label.

We do have a couple Fenix models on clearance that are the previous version.
    Clearance
    I do believe the ingo coupon code works on the discounted Fenix lights, although not on all the clearance items.
    Keep in mind that 4sevens lights are made the same as Fenix. Basically 4sevens was started by one of the original Fenix guys....

Klarus lights are alright. The problem being warranty work/replacement. You are relying on your dealer for warranty, and they are relying on Klarus... We actually just got rid of jetbeam/Nitecore because they wouldn't help us with warranty. We were eating the total cost.
    I would stick with the more popular brands such as Fenix, 4Sevens, Surefire, Streamlight.... As they will have better user support down the road.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I would think in most cases we should be at least the same price as amazon if not lower once you throw in the ingo code. The exception being that they like to buy up previous versions of lights at a discount and sell them cheap. For Fenix we offer free exchanges on defective lights, we just send out a new one with a pre paid return label.

Clearance
    I do believe the ingo coupon code works on the discounted Fenix lights, although not on all the clearance items.
    Keep in mind that 4sevens lights are made the same as Fenix. Basically 4sevens was started by one of the original Fenix guys....

Klarus lights are alright. The problem being warranty work/replacement. You are relying on your dealer for warranty, and they are relying on Klarus... We actually just got rid of jetbeam/Nitecore because they wouldn't help us with warranty. We were eating the total cost.
    I would stick with the more popular brands such as Fenix, 4Sevens, Surefire, Streamlight.... As they will have better user support down the road.

Wow. Thank you for very much for the advice. I very much like fenix and only went with klarus because of the lumen to price ratio but customer support is very important to me. hell, I figured jetbeam/Nitecore would be great companies considering their products. I'm itching to get a 4sevens carabiner light. I'l look at you store and see whats available :)

Thanks again

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I do go through amazon most of the time for the same reason. I use goinggear as a reference to see whats available and reviewed in new tactical lights.

The PD32 is indeed an outstanding light, you know they have the Ultimate edition that pumps out over 600 lumens from the same light using an S2 (i think) LED.

Klarus is a competitor to Fenix, a bit less in the quality department as far as details to the ergonomics but this light has not failed me yet and it is beat up all the hell from dropping it on concrete over 4 foot high (above waist level)

I just ordered a Fenix TK15, hoping it looks as sleek as the PD32 :cool:

Yes, I also have the ultimate...also from Amazon in a kit w/ rechargable battery and charger...they listed it as 740 lumens when I bought it (the numbers keep going up). I don't know if it's actually that bright...blinded is blinded ;)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Clearance

I wasn't aware of your site and am glad to hear of the INGO coupon code...I'll be sure to check your site for my next "pocket sun". :ingo:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't mind having the cheapie lights to scatter around the house and in tool boxes. I do mind carrying a light or keeping a light in my vehicle that isn't dependable. Most of the cheapies are okay, but the failure rate is as expected.

My carry lights are mostly Fenix, but I have a couple nice 4Sevens, a few Nitecores, and some other comparable brands.

Top Bottom