Cheapest, decent quality scope for distance shooting??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A prairie dog hunting buddy used to say "only a rich man can afford a cheap scope". He was talking about truly cheap, in every sense of the word. I learned what he meant by buying a 6-24 BSA scope which turned out to be little more than a lousy paint paddle and I virtually gave it away. Go too cheap and you will end up buying something else at higher price eventually. I like that refurb Viper.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A prairie dog hunting buddy used to say "only a rich man can afford a cheap scope". He was talking about truly cheap, in every sense of the word. I learned what he meant by buying a 6-24 BSA scope which turned out to be little more than a lousy paint paddle and I virtually gave it away. Go too cheap and you will end up buying something else at higher price eventually. I like that refurb Viper.

Now now, they're not a total waste.

I used one cheap scope to lap scope rings a couple times, and I broke the AO assembly off and gave it to my daughter to use to burn things in the sun...much fun was had.

:):

-Nate

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    SWFA 10x Should probably always be the answer to this question. Cheap doesn't blend well with variable power imo.

Almost forgot my most recent favorite budget minded optic the redfield revolution 3-9. It had a really rave review from SCentral and I can confirm. I got it locally for just under 200, it has an odd bdc reticle but it is usable and it tracks true time after time. The more I shoot the less I think I need heavy magnification. I think 9x is good for most anything you are going to get done in Indiana, but that is personal opinion. I really just wish everything would come mil mil now that I kind of understand it, but moa and a known dimension bdc reticle are easy enough and can be really nice in non bench rest situations.

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Man we have a tough crowd around here! I didn't say cheap...I said cheapEST. So no I'm not looking for a "$20 scope to shoot bullseye's at 1000 yds" but I would like to find a scope for less than $200 that'll get er done tho.

Thank you Nate for the great info! So in your opinion a $350 used Weaver is the cheapest, decent quality scope I can find right now?!! DAMN.......:(
    That’s the ballpark, if you’re really serious about LONG range shooting. The refurb vortex posted by Alan would be an excellent choice.

With that said, as posted several times, it depends what distances you really intend to shoot, and in what situation. If you want to compete at 1000 yards, you need some expensive gear. However, while everyone likes to throw around the “1000 yard” phrase, that’s like getting into running and saying you want to run a marathon. There’s no shame in finding that you prefer a 5K or 10K.

I don’t know your background, but start with trying to hold a 4” group at 400 yards. That can be done with any reasonable scope with a decent reticle, provided you have the skill and get to know your rifle. No fancy turrets needed, and that will be cheaper.

If you then decide 400 is for sissies, then start looking at fancier gear.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Starting to see some good info flow here....

OP, both Alan and Nate know what they're talking about...for real. There's a reason you don't hear of too many people talking about shooting at any sort of extended distances with cheap-o scopes. They have their place, but it will make longer range shooting significantly less fun and productive. I'll consider 300 yards and farther to be what you're after in this discussion. 300 yards and up, you'll likely need to be dialing for elevation. If you're dialing for elevation (or wind), you need something that tracks reliably and accurately (reliability being more important than accuracy....i.e., I don't care if I dial and 10 MOA and get 10.5, as long as I get 10.5 every time).

I have no doubt the Weaver that Nate recommends is solid. I have no experience with them, but if he does, I trust his judgement that it will work.

I do have experience with the Viper series of scopes that Alan is recommending. They're solid...I think enough of them that I've got 3 of them. I've shot out to 1000 yards with them. I shoot High Power with a Viper PST 1-4, and it's not holding me back one bit. It's been rock-solid for me in 2 years of competing.

I'll make another suggestion to you....a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO. I've got a handful of them on different rifles, and they work. I often use it on a .22 to 200 yards, which is 28 MOA up from 50 yard zero. That elevation is in the neighborhood of the same adjustment you'll need for a 6.5 Creedmoor or a .243 out to 1000 yards. When I go back to my 50 yard zero, it's on. Not close, not in the neighborhood....it's right back on my 50 yard zero. I've got another one on an AR that I used to clean a 600 yard high power target. That's 20 shots in a 12" circle at 600 yards. That was dialing back and forth for wind. It's not a Cadillac, it's more of a 1987 F-150 with a 300 6 cylinder. It's not flashy, it's not super cushy, but it'll get you to your destination reliably if you treat it right and know it's limitations.

I like the BDC reticle just for the thinner crosshair....I don't use the BDC hash marks.

$200 bucks from the man himself.....
    CROSSFIRE II 4-12X50 AO RIFLESCOPE

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Looks like my dream of getting a decent scope for under 2 bills was just that...a dream. Thanks for waking me up fellas. On second thought, damn you boys! I was enjoying my dream!! Lol :lala:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like my dream of getting a decent scope for under 2 bills was just that...a dream. Thanks for waking me up fellas. On second thought, damn you boys! I was enjoying my dream!! Lol :lala:

Alan straightened me out when my thoughts went in this direction. I already knew the monies were going to increase over distance. But he opened my eyes and in the end set me up properly.

I have 2 friends that go west and shoot things at great distance and both have weavers. But in that they are both looking at Vortex for the next upgrade.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus

See my link above for the Crossfire II 4-12x50, in stock for $199. There's the 4-12x40 on backorder for $189. There will be taxes/shipping, but if your criteria was under $200 sticker price, you're golden.

Here's my clean 600 yard target, shot with a 4-12x40 Crossfire II. I don't post it to brag, but rather to show that I'm speaking from experience and based on my real-world usage of the scope. Is it as good as the ultra high-end scopes? No. Will it get the job done? Absolutely.

600YardClean.jpg

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Check out the redfield. I have a diamondback 4-12 and i like the redfield more, it honestly edges into the viper pst i have as well in my opinion only. .

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy mate. Others may have given you a bit of a hard time, as details are everything and we weren't given many. Still though, for a great fixed-power scope I'd recommend swfa scopes(10x up to 20x models). If you are going the variable route for long range then make getting a first focal plane reticle, so the reticle is usable at all ranges, a priority. The lowest end and cheapest are going to be the 4-14s. Primary arms and athlon optics both offer one, just stay away from "bdc" reticles. Athlon is one of the new kids on the block as far as budget&quality optics go. They have a lifetime warranty like vortex and the argos 8-32 that I own is great glass for the money. They are going to be the cheapest first focal plane optics available. The cheapest line is the argos, which is offered in a number of zoom ratios. The next line up is the helios, which I believe offers a better quality optic and turrets. I got my argos on black friday for $260, but they will usually run $300-$400. The helios start at around $525. Any of their higher quality lines start to run into competitive pricing with names like vortex, and then even the big boys like nightforce. What you go with is ultimately up to you, but if you want variable and range then you should go with a non-bdc, ffp (first-focal plane) optic. Thank you for your time. Ben

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    The refurb Vortex is a good deal.
    As BOVindy said, check out the Argos BTR in 6-24 or 8-34 not the best at max magnification but if you turn down the 24 to 20 and the 34 to 30 they are really nice.
    First focal plane is great. Lifetime warranty, they offer mil mil or moa moa. I talked to Athlon and they said the glass is the same in the Helos just comes with zero stop.
    I am very happy with mine they track great.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've been doing some digging and found that I could potentially get a Bushnell Banner 6-24×40 for around 150 bucks and the scope does have pretty good reviews. Remember I don't necessarily need the best scope but I do want it to be decent. Any opinions on the Bushnell Banner series and whether or not it is decent?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've been doing some digging and found that I could potentially get a Bushnell Banner 6-24×40 for around 150 bucks and the scope does have pretty good reviews. Remember I don't necessarily need the best scope but I do want it to be decent. Any opinions on the Bushnell Banner series and whether or not it is decent?

Depends on your definition of decent, but if you expect to be able to use the higher zooms and still have a clear enough image to see, or you plan to adjust for longer ranges using the turrets, then no it's not decent at all.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus

No experience with the 6-24, but I did have a 6-18 Banner on the same rifle I posted the clean 600 yard target with. I'd take a Vortex/Athlon/Burris on 9X over a muddy 18X through that Banner any day. Clarity is a more vital factor than magnification....I thought that was BS when I was buying cheap(er) scopes, but its 100% true.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Be careful of reading reviews. You see people all the time put, I haven't used it yet, but it really is great. Really? How many people don't bother putting in the "haven't used it yet" part? Some people will always claim that what they bought was great even if it wasn't. They don't want to come out and admit they were a dumbass in buying it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Be careful of reading reviews. You see people all the time put, I haven't used it yet, but it really is great. Really? How many people don't bother putting in the "haven't used it yet" part? Some people will always claim that what they bought was great even if it wasn't. They don't want to come out and admit they were a dumbass in buying it.

This this this. I also love the reviews where the writer has no experience or any other competition to review it against. Snipercentral has reviews on a ton of scopes all done in the same format going back years. He is a legit shooter and I've never been lead astray following his reviews and advice.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Howdy mate. Others may have given you a bit of a hard time, as details are everything and we weren't given many. Still though, for a great fixed-power scope I'd recommend swfa scopes(10x up to 20x models). If you are going the variable route for long range then make getting a first focal plane reticle, so the reticle is usable at all ranges, a priority. The lowest end and cheapest are going to be the 4-14s. Primary arms and athlon optics both offer one, just stay away from "bdc" reticles. Athlon is one of the new kids on the block as far as budget&quality optics go. They have a lifetime warranty like vortex and the argos 8-32 that I own is great glass for the money. They are going to be the cheapest first focal plane optics available. The cheapest line is the argos, which is offered in a number of zoom ratios. The next line up is the helios, which I believe offers a better quality optic and turrets. I got my argos on black friday for $260, but they will usually run $300-$400. The helios start at around $525. Any of their higher quality lines start to run into competitive pricing with names like vortex, and then even the big boys like nightforce. What you go with is ultimately up to you, but if you want variable and range then you should go with a non-bdc, ffp (first-focal plane) optic. Thank you for your time. Ben

Ben, you mention twice to avoid BDC reticles. All things equal as to quality, etc ..., what is it about the BDC that makes it a no-go? I'm not a long range shooter, but shooting squirrels with my 17 HM2 at distances over 100 yards, I've found it helpful.

Top Bottom