Cheese Toastie or Grilled Cheese Sammich?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Grilled cheese. Calling it something else is asking, no, demanding to be punched in the face. The cheese may vary; my favorite is 1 mozzarella, and 1 provolone. Real butter is mandatory. Cheddar is an abomination, especially sharp, and dill pickles qualify you for a special circle of hell. Campbell's tomato soup is an acceptable accompaniment, but only Campbell's. Others need not apply.

This nailed it. And Campbell's only, and you'd better dunk it in there once in a while or you're doing it wrong...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have never... heard anyone... speak the words "cheese" and "toastie" alongside one another in my life and have lived in Indiana for 36 of my nearly 42 years on this planet. I enjoy a good grilled cheese from time to time but if offered a "cheese toastie" I would decline. Even my computer keeps autocorrecting the word "toastie" to "toast".

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Grilled cheese here is two slices of bread with cheese in the middle buttered on the outside and grilled in a skillet. Toasted cheese is a single slice of bread with a tomato slice covered with cheese slices buttered on the outside and grilled in a skillet.:)
    ^True^ My wife is from Arizona, she introduced me to this, not bad with a good sprinkle of garlic salt.

Grilled cheese. Calling it something else is asking, no, demanding to be punched in the face. The cheese may vary; my favorite is 1 mozzarella, and 1 provolone. Real butter is mandatory. Cheddar is an abomination, especially sharp, and dill pickles qualify you for a special circle of hell. Campbell's tomato soup is an acceptable accompaniment, but only Campbell's. Others need not apply.
    :+1: Although, I will allow pork and beans, or beans with bacon to substitute the tomato soup.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    As I understand it, from Ft. Wayne to Gary these things are known as "Cheese Toasties". Everywhere else, they are grilled cheese. I had never heard the Cheese Toasty thing until last week when a friend from up by Ft. Wayne explained it to me.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    It's Grilled Cheese in our home. 'Cheese Toastie' sounds like something that comes out of a bag and is made by Frito-Lay. +1 to Campbell's Tomato soup as the only acceptable accompaniment...dayyamm, I'm now craving one!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    "Cheese toasties" never heard of that.

Went to a restaurant around Chicago and they would make you a grilled cheese sandwich with over 400 different cheese combo's and 13 different fresh made breads. It was good. I did melted Wisconsin curds on sourdough with avocado on the side to dip.

The very best grilled cheese sandwich I ever eat was in 1984 at the Indianapolis sports and music center/ military park after a grateful dead show. Wonder bread and cheap Mercian cheese with the plastic cover grilled to perfect golden brown by a hippie chick with hairy legs. Still the most memorable grilled cheese sandwich every and if anyone were to call it "cheese toasties" it would have been dead heads. They called them "biggie biggie grilled cheese sandwiches" end of debate.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

GRILLED CHEESE all the way with a bowl of good chili. The GRILLED CHEESE sandwich must be dunked in the chili on every bite. There is a ratio that is important to the process. You must have enough of the GRILLED CHEESE sandwich left to wipe down the inside of the chili bowl after the spoon can't get anymore out of the bowl. The bowl should be clean enough to put back in the cabinet if the process is done properly.

The triple stack GRILLED CHEESE sandwich with three slices of Texas Toast is a disgrace to the traditional GRILLED CHEESE.

My Mom would make us Toasted Cheese goodies when I was a kid growing up. A single slice of bread and a single slice of cheese put on a cookie sheet. It is then put under the broiler in the oven. The cheese will puff up and if left in long enough it will brown and slightly burn the cheese. The bottom side of the bread is soft and yummy.

On special occasions we would get some pepperoni slices. We didn't know we were poor.

"Cheese Toastie" Sounds like a fart gone bad. :rofl:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Grilled cheese with Miracle Whip on the inside of BOTH bread slices, use REAL butter on the outside.

Anything else is lame and dry!
    I actually use a very thin layer of mayo or Miracle Whip on the outside instead of butter. I know it sounds weird, and did to me too until I tried it. Never went back to butter. The egg in the mayo/MW makes a little "crust" like French toast, and it has just enough oil in it to give just a little greasiness like butter. I think it lets the taste of the cheese come through a little better too.

Oh, and "grilled cheese", definitely.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    First off..it's grilled cheese, bonus for having tomato soup.

Now that that is settled. It never ceases to amazing me what will set a threat on fire here....but that is what keeps me coming back and loving this site along the wealth of practical info you can gather.

Thanks INGO.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My wife works magic of many kinds in the kitchen. She makes "grilled cheese sandwiches" with various kinds of breads, cheeses, sometimes with vegetables and/or shaved meat, always fried in her cast iron skillet with real butter. She's always used real butter, never margarine.

Bugs won't eat margarine and neither will I.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Do you fry up a sammich consisting of two pieces of bread and some cheese and try and play it off like you grilled it or do you fry a sammich consisting of two perfect pieces of bread, with a healthy amount of cheese and a little love on top and serve that toastie little goodness up as a CHEESE TOASTIE?

Never hear the "cheese toastie" thing before..

BTW, the pic below is all know as a "grill" and what my mom used when she made GRILLed cheese..
    Electric_Flat_Grill.jpg

Top Bottom