• ...and so much more!
  • Dulla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    NWI
    Those numbers go both ways, smarty.

10% reduction in breathing the particles out vs a 95% reduction in breathing the particles out.

You also need to shave so that the mask can seal against your face. If you don't, then it's a virtue cloth, and you're just asserting that you pretend to care about not infecting other people, as opposed to take actions to actually not spread the virus.
    Since you asked, I'm clean shaven and I always make sure my mask is nice and snug when I'm indoors in public. All of the numbers I've seen point to at least a 30% reduction for the typical cloth masks most people are wearing these days (higher if you put a filter in), but the percentage doesn't matter. If there's a 10% chance that my wearing a mask won't infect you or anyone else with COVID I'd still wear a mask.

Better yet, since I'm not wearing a mask and you think there's a chance I might be infected, you could always stay away from me.
    Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The particles we breathe stay in the air long after we're 6 feet away from the next person. If you walk through Home Depot with no mask and you're infected you could potentially infect everyone in the store even if you kept your distance the entire time. Please don't read this as in insult to you or anyone else in this thread, but to me the only word for that type of behavior is selfish.

That being said, I don't agree with mask mandates. I have two babies at home and I just want to see the infection rate drop low enough where it's safe to take them out in public again. I'm putting my faith in my fellow Americans and hoping we can all put the politics aside and do what's in everyone's best interest for once.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since you asked, I'm clean shaven and I always make sure my mask is nice and snug when I'm indoors in public. All of the numbers I've seen point to at least a 30% reduction for the typical cloth masks most people are wearing these days (higher if you put a filter in), but the percentage doesn't matter. If there's a 10% chance that my wearing a mask won't infect you or anyone else with COVID I'd still wear a mask.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The particles we breathe stay in the air long after we're 6 feet away from the next person. If you walk through Home Depot with no mask and you're infected you could potentially infect everyone in the store even if you kept your distance the entire time. Please don't read this as in insult to you or anyone else in this thread, but to me the only word for that type of behavior is selfish.

That being said, I don't agree with mask mandates. I have two babies at home and I just want to see the infection rate drop low enough where it's safe to take them out in public again. I'm putting my faith in my fellow Americans and hoping we can all put the politics aside and do what's in everyone's best interest for once.

If that were even close to the truth we would all be sick at home right now. I have been in many stores before Hoggnuts overstepped his authority and maybe 10% of the customers were masked. If you assumption is true we would all be sick. No one save for a small handful at breakfast anyplace we eat even now are masked.

I am not making this up just to call you out or start and argument. We can find info to say either side of this is correct. Hell man Fauci the mini zar is touting New Yorks handling of this. They literally set people up to die for crap sake.

I still call BS

Wear-em if you feel the need.
    If you are sick or weak stay your butt at home. I will pack you in some grocery's.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Why would you chose to wear a 10-30% effective piece of safety equipment, when a 95% effective piece of safety equipment is only $4?

This is why I remain baffled by the mask crowd. If you're going to push the narrative, at least use the right thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Have we seen any "data" on up to date physical transmission of the virus? Transmission of the virus to surfaces from maybe touching masks, then touching other items? Like for example, how the flu is spread?

I know the pro mask crowd want to keep talking that this isn't possible, but do we know for sure? Could this be the reason for the spike in reported cases?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Have we seen any "data" on up to date physical transmission of the virus? Transmission of the virus to surfaces from maybe touching masks, then touching other items? Like for example, how the flu is spread?

I know the pro mask crowd want to keep talking that this isn't possible, but do we know for sure? Could this be the reason for the spike in reported cases?

Millions of people rioting in tightly packed areas is the reason for the spike in cases, if the spike is even real and not number massaging.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    There were people who opposed wearing seatbelts when the state made them mandatory. There were people who cut the seatbelts out of their cars when manufacturers started putting them in.

Just sayin'...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought the seatbelt law in Indiana was a federal bribe of threatened removal of highway funding? Brought on by the insurance lobby?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I'm not insulted, but there's two ways to deal with disease, inoculations or immunity. Odds are there will never be a magic bullet for kung-flu, so we're stuck with option B. I'd rather face it head on than to live the rest of my life in fear. Is that selfish? If so, I'm okay with being called selfish. I've been called a lot worse and still haven't needed therapy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    > In before overweight people with high blood pressure repeating pants-pissing analogies <

I'm kinda thinking that demographic fits both sides equally on INGO. As I've said all along, this is about belief. Belief drives actions. So people should stop assigning moral virtues to actions. Everyone believing something is exercising their morality. It's not about morality. If you believe masks work you'll believe that not wearing one is immoral on some level. If you think masks don't work, making them manditory is immoral. What's needed is ditching the moral rhetoric, like, "it's [STRIKE]curious[/STRIKE]" courteous and "yer takin' muh rights" and dealing with the issue of belief and lack of trust.
    The different belifs must be reconciled before there could possibly be anything resembling a consensus. And before that can happen there has to be mutual trust. Transparency in the CDC would be a good start. Honesty in the media (:rofl:) would be a good followup.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm kinda thinking that demographic fits both sides equally on INGO. As I've said all along, this is about belief. Belief drives actions. So people should stop assigning moral virtues to actions. Everyone believing something is exercising their moralality. It's not about morality. If you believe masks work you'll believe that not wearing one is immoral on some level. If you think masks don't work, making them manditory is immoral. What's needed is ditching the moral rhetoric, like, "it's curious" and "yer takin' muh rights" and dealing with the issue of belief and lack of trust.
    The different belifs must be reconciled before there could possibly be anything resembling a consensus. And before that can happen there has to be mutual trust. Transparency in the CDC would be a good start. Honesty in the media (:rofl:) would be a good followup.

One slight tweak to your hypothesis, based on my observations:

If you believe masks work you’ll believe that not wearing one is immoral (and the people that don’t are immoral) on some level. If you think masks don’t work, you don’t wear them, think making them mandatory is immoral, but you don’t care if other people do or not.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There were people who opposed wearing seatbelts when the state made them mandatory. There were people who cut the seatbelts out of their cars when manufacturers started putting them in.

Just sayin'...

That was a long time ago and an entirely different situation. Wearing a seat belt or not doesn’t require a leap of faith in believing any persons or agencies who contradict themselves so regularly. Smashing your face into the windshield or not during a crash is pretty cut and dry. I still don’t agree that it’s the government’s role to dictate things like seat belts and/or helmets but it is what it is and it was another step which brought us to where we are now.

I don’t believe the severity of this “pandemic”. I don’t believe it’s any more deadly than H1N1 or any of the other end of the world plagues which have come down the pipe and failed to threaten our existence. The talking heads are clearly attempting to scare us and whether that’s for ratings or a political agenda (or both) doesn’t really concern me. If they actually cared about spreading valuable and accurate information we wouldn’t continue hearing about how the 90% spike in such and such community was actually only a 9.0% spike with an “oops, out mistake” scrolled across the bottom of the screen so as to be seen as little as possible.

If I’m wrong and it kills me, so be it but I’ll not be led around with blinders on and a rope around my neck by people who share 0% of my beliefs, morals and values. The left has played their hand a bit too soon out of desperation. They’re all in because they see the end of people tolerating their bull**** any longer. Now through November is the grand finale.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One slight tweak to your hypothesis, based on my observations:

If you believe masks work you’ll believe that not wearing one is immoral (and the people that don’t are immoral) on some level. If you think masks don’t work, you don’t wear them, think making them mandatory is immoral, but you don’t care if other people do or not.

No objections. I didn't state it in so many words but I never had any thoughts that this was not the case.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Just sayin'...

This is how people become accustom to laws that shouldn't be. I advocate wearing seatbelts. I think they're good tools for protecting people. So are airbags. Should they be mandatory? I don't think so. Not wearing a seatbelt has an impact on oneself. In a pandemic, the government, having the charge of protecting the rights of people, this has a sort of sticky implication. Does the US government have the authority to impose masks on people to protect society. Arguably I think they do. Have they proven that masks actually accomplish that? I think the jury is still out. They have proven, at least to my satisfaction, that wearing masks would be effective at reducing exposure due to droplets. It seams self evident that reducing exposure to droplets would stop the disease if that is the primary way it's spread. Is that really the primary way it's spread? Idunno.

Are they any more right now than they were when they said that's it spreads from surfaces? Being 180 degrees wrong doesn't instill sufficient trust/confidence. Are they any more honest now after saying "psych! We were just lying when we said masks don't work. They totally work. We just wanted to manipulate you so that you'd save some masks for the first responders." They need way better transparency and they need to be straight up with people.

Dulla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    NWI
    If that were even close to the truth we would all be sick at home right now. I have been in many stores before Hoggnuts overstepped his authority and maybe 10% of the customers were masked. If you assumption is true we would all be sick. No one save for a small handful at breakfast anyplace we eat even now are masked.

I am not making this up just to call you out or start and argument. We can find info to say either side of this is correct. Hell man Fauci the mini zar is touting New Yorks handling of this. They literally set people up to die for crap sake.

I still call BS

Wear-em if you feel the need.
    If you are sick or weak stay your butt at home. I will pack you in some grocery's.
    I get where you're coming from but I think that's what's making everything trickier right now. Everyone feels safe until they aren't. Sounds like you're in a place with few or no infections (most of us I'm guessing) so that's definitely a blessing. The problem is people still travel from all over the country and all it's takes is one infected person to start an outbreak.

Why would you chose to wear a 10-30% effective piece of safety equipment, when a 95% effective piece of safety equipment is only $4?

This is why I remain baffled by the mask crowd. If you're going to push the narrative, at least use the right thing.
    The percentage doesn't matter as long as it's above zero. It's just a numbers game.

People wear cloth masks because of the early shortage of N95 masks. I have no idea where the supply stands right now or what the cost is per mask. I always have a few in my car because my wife is a nurse.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I look at the likelihood of being in a situation that demands an armed response and realize that so many of the same people who always carry think the risk reduction from a mask is not significant enough to inconvenience them...

Well, you get the picture.

I guess the part that confuses me a little is that so many of these same people would have no issue putting themselves in danger of violence to help another person, yet....

Anyhoo, in some places if they had a "No Mask" mandate, we may see 100% noncompliance...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom