• ...and so much more!
  • drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    Tumbler

I purchased my tumbler from Harbor Freight with two cans and have tumbled with pins for over 4 years and haven't had a failure yet.
    On sale it was less than $60.oo

Last edited:

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Since I load in a bit greater volume than some, I've found the harbor freight electric concrete mixer, 25# of steel pins, lemeshine and dawn to be the most efficient. For what would be considered more normal volume by most, I use the model B and have for many years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you gents find any difference in stainless steel pin media? Seems as if I remember some reference to some aftermarket pins being more suited to to this work than others?

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Do you gents find any difference in stainless steel pin media? Seems as if I remember some reference to some aftermarket pins being more suited to to this work than others?
    There are some offerings of different sizes and quality of steel. I prefer .047x.255 since I have no problem with pins getting lodged in flash holes or cases in general. Guntap offers a good product on eBay but they aren't cheap.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Cabelas sale ran out before I bit tyhe bullet. I think I'll wait till I catch another sale. For the time being I'll use the one I got from Harbor Freight. I hadn't opened the box as I was hoping to get a better tumbler. Maybe in the near future.

ARKLITE881South

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Sweet Home
    If you haven't gotten one yet, look around a little, the FA tumblers do vary in price depending on who you buy them from. I've had one now for about 4 months and really like it. I use the stainless pins, hint: put a magnet inside a good heavy duty plastic sandwich bag. Move it around in the pins, then take the whole thing over to a can or pan, pull the magnet out of the baggie ,and the pins fall off.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I finally have a solid routine down for wet tumbling. Using a food dehydrator as a case dryer.

I did 3,000 9mm cases and 350 5.56 cases over the weekend. The brass just looks spectacular!

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I finally have a solid routine down for wet tumbling. Using a food dehydrator as a case dryer.

I did 3,000 9mm cases and 350 5.56 cases over the weekend. The brass just looks spectacular!
    One of the only things a food dehydrator was ever good for. How long do leave them in for?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now now, careful there. Some of us put up a fair amount of of our regular sustenance every year with a food dehydrator. :nono:

I have a separate dehydrator/drier exclusively used for washed brass and quenched boolits. :)

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Now now, careful there. Some of us put up a fair amount of of our regular sustenance every year with a food dehydrator. :nono:

I have a separate dehydrator/drier exclusively used for washed brass and quenched boolits. :)
    We either can or freeze most of what we eat. Bought a great big devil a few years ago and only used it to make jerky until I started using it to dry brass. Does a good job of that and we found a better way to make jerky also. Won't be eating anything out of mine ever again.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    One of the only things a food dehydrator was ever good for. How long do leave them in for?

2.5 hours. Tumble for 2.5 hours, dry for 2.5 hours.

NOTE: if you tumble raffle cases, ensure that you tumble them twice in the media separator!:D 5.56 cases trap a lot of water and get your food dehydrator all soggy.:D

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I have a Lyman wet tumbler sitting in the garage. Haven't switched over yet. Do you or should you de-prime cases before wet tumbling? I've read where the pins are small enough to pass thru the flash hole , clean the primer pocket and help drain the cases.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    2.5 hours. Tumble for 2.5 hours, dry for 2.5 hours.

NOTE: if you tumble raffle cases, ensure that you tumble them twice in the media separator!:D 5.56 cases trap a lot of water and get your food dehydrator all soggy.:D
    After separating mine go back in the separator where I spin them while hitting them with 175# compressed air until I don't see moisture anymore then proceed to the sweat lodge for a couple hours.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sweat lodge them! Lol, stealing that.

One more load tonight, it is tumbling now. I am on my last bucket of dirty 9mm. I will be losing my basement for a few weeks during the re-model and painting. So I am striking while iron is hot.

Top Bottom