• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IIRC, he was the spokesperson when IMPD declared they were against constitutional carry, as we were trying to get it passed?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thank you! I wasn't sure. I just knew that he was "the face" of IMPD on a lot of incidents on the news. Did he used to be a PIO?
    I don't think so. You'll see him on TV at some critical incidents. He can answer questions the PIO's cannot. He's been effectively running the department as Assistant Chief anyway. Now he's wearing the second star officially until a permanent Chief is found.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't think so. You'll see him on TV at some critical incidents. He can answer questions the PIO's cannot. He's been effectively running the department as Assistant Chief anyway. Now he's wearing the second star officially until a permanent Chief is found.
    That's probably it (critical incidents). I did a double-take the first time I heard his name, because I went to grade school through high school with someone with the same name. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Got any inside dirt you can share on how the Chief shopping process is going? Where they are looking? Who actually decides?

Understood if "nunya" is the answer. :)

:ingo:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Got any inside dirt you can share on how the Chief shopping process is going? Where they are looking? Who actually decides?

Understood if "nunya" is the answer. :)

:ingo:
    Sadly I do not. No one has a clue who it will be. Quite a few interviewed but no one was picked. The Mayor selects a Chief and that person must be approved by City-County Council. I don't think there is a rush. I'd be just fine if Chief Bailey stayed in place. It's not a very high paid position. $128,000 a year as Chief. In a time where smaller department Chiefs are making more than double that. Who'd want all that headache for that. With OT, there are many officers making that kind of money without the stress.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    given the crap sandwich that is the one making the call, are you surprised?

Market to me this position:

High stress
    24 hour availability required
    Must attempt to juggle multiple factions inside and outside of organization
    Career field constantly under attack, literally and physically
    Job tied to a politician's success, next guy will almost certainly replace you
    1/2-3/4 the pay of similar positions elsewhere
    1/3 or less pay of similar positions in the private sector.
    All the issues that go with management positions in a large organization
    All the issues that go with .gov roles in particular

There's a reason Indy, with very rare exception, gets an internal candidate. There's a reason the last external hire, Riggs, left for a better offer about 30 seconds after setting foot in Indy.

The issue is affected law enforcement hiring and retention at all levels. People who should be future leaders are leaving before taking those spots and existing leaders are leaving.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    @BehindBlueI's - would having the Public Safety Director position back help any of those issues or was that just political smoke and mirrors?

I don't think you can emphasize enough the impact that politics have over the whole process. Things literally go into a holding pattern during an election and pending the new elected officials arrival. Everything comes to a screeching halt pending a new Mayor. If that Mayor ends up being inept it just gets worse from there. The last few years have looked a bit like an abusive relationship between IMPD and the Mayor's office...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    @BehindBlueI's - would having the Public Safety Director position back help any of those issues or was that just political smoke and mirrors?

I typed a longer response, but: no, I don't think it would help. The position originally was an admin sort of slot, budgetary issues with police/fire/ems and that sort of thing as best I understand. Then it morphed into what it morphed in to under Straub/Ballard's mismanagement.

Others may disagree, but I'll take this mayor and this relationship with the department over Ballard/Straub any day. Happily.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    A
    Sadly I do not. No one has a clue who it will be. Quite a few interviewed but no one was picked. The Mayor selects a Chief and that person must be approved by City-County Council. I don't think there is a rush. I'd be just fine if Chief Bailey stayed in place. It's not a very high paid position. $128,000 a year as Chief. In a time where smaller department Chiefs are making more than double that. Who'd want all that headache for that. With OT, there are many officers making that kind of money without the stress.
    128k a year will buy a whole lot of BC Headache powder. I tell ya what.

Top Bottom