• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I keep reading that chromed barrels are slightly less accurate? How much less in MOA?

I'd like mine to do triple duty - home defense, shtf, and light varminting.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I keep reading that chromed barrels are slightly less accurate? How much less in MOA?

IME, unless we're talking a precision rig shot off a bipod or sandbags at long ranges, you won't be able to realize a difference between chromed and non-chromed; either barrel will shoot as well as you can.

My :twocents:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It really depends on the barrel. It can be as little as almost none at all and as much as 1 moa, though typically you'll see in the .1-.2. The problem is that there are many more other variables that affect accuracy with the nut behind the trigger being the biggest one, followed by ammunition.

For your uses you won't see any difference at all.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    get the chrome lined, if you dont, you'll be trying to think of ways to sell a perfectly good reliable rifle because you wished you had gotten the chrome lined barrel, even though our troops sloshed through a couple of world wars without'em. still if the world is coming to an end at least you wont be worrying about stuck cases and a rusty barrel :p

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The improvements in the chroming process have greatly reduced the accuracy differences that were once more noticable.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I change the orginal barrel out of my G26 with a Storm Lake barrel when I go shoot once a year with my old dept. It seems I shoot a little better with the SL, also it seems to be less recoil, perhaps the SL weights a little more.

1) this thread is in the "Long Guns" subforum

2) Neither your original G26 barrel nor the Storm Lake is chrome-lined

:dunno:

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    modern manufacturing processes makes getting a chrome lined barrel a waste of money you could buy ammo with.

This is easily the truth. My MSG90A1 does not have a chrome lined barrel. It shoots 1" or less, groups at 200m all day long. I would bet a better shooter could get a tighter group than that.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    This is easily the truth. My MSG90A1 does not have a chrome lined barrel. It shoots 1" or less, groups at 200m all day long. I would bet a better shooter could get a tighter group than that.

A chrome lining reduces accuracy, but it's not certain how much. A chrome lining increases barrel life and seriously inhibits corrosion. On accuracy specific guns, the chrome lining may or may not be worth it. In battle rifles it's not really an issue. It would be desirable to have a chrome lined barrel if you're shooting something that runs on Eastern Bloc surplus.

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    A chrome lining reduces accuracy, but it's not certain how much. A chrome lining increases barrel life and seriously inhibits corrosion. On accuracy specific guns, the chrome lining may or may not be worth it. In battle rifles it's not really an issue. It would be desirable to have a chrome lined barrel if you're shooting something that runs on Eastern Bloc surplus.

I know that you didn't say this outright, but I hope you do not think that an MSG90 is an Eastern Bloc firearm.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    No, the MSG90 is completely unrelated to the OP. The OP asked how much a chrome lined barrel effects accuracy and you responded by saying a non-chrome lined barrel is capable of a certain accuracy.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

cleaning works wonders. even though I know some on here dont do it. That would require an elementry knowledge of a firearm and some would just rather carry or shoot one rather than learn how to properly maintain it. watching some people chamber or un-chamber a round is painful sometimes. chrome is'nt important these days. do a little research and you can see it.

not you cosermann, but in general.

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    No, the MSG90 is completely unrelated to the OP. The OP asked how much a chrome lined barrel effects accuracy and you responded by saying a non-chrome lined barrel is capable of a certain accuracy.

I wasn't trying to be an @$$, just making sure that wasn't where you were going. I thought maybe it was because you quoted my post. Apologies.

EDIT: Oh yes, and for the record, short of the oil, you could perform surgery with my firearms on the patient. Clean is how it should be.

Top Bottom