• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It's very tempting to judge, especially since there really are so many deadbeats out there... but you never know... the tats could have come when times were better (before layoff, divorce, etc), and the clothes/etc could have been gifts. I struggle when I see the smart phones and the associated monthly plans, etc... but again, you never know the situation...

-rvb

Maybe she got a bargain at Goodwill...

I struggle at managing my money with Heaven in mind, so I'll refrain on judging others.

you're right, its hard not to judge all for the actions of the few, im a very trusting person, but i have been burned in the past!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    you're right, its hard not to judge all for the actions of the few, im a very trusting person, but i have been burned in the past!

When you reach out and help, you'll get burned. It's going to happen, and when it does, remember it's not Jesus that burned you...

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Having the knowledge that the good deed which you are asserting may be the only good in the child's eye. We don't know what that child may be going through behind closed doors. Thank you for what you are doing. Your rant is warranted, as some people just don't care enough to state the facts.~~"One Man's Opinion!"

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Life ain't fair. Illegal drug users make it more unfair. You can only hope the church camp actually helped the kids. Kids with doper parents need all the good role models they can get.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Life ain't fair. Illegal drug users make it more unfair. You can only hope the church camp actually helped the kids. Kids with doper parents need all the good role models they can get.

I gotta think that there are some dopers out there who make wonderful parents and some Christians who, not so much. I think we can get too caught up in labels and outward appearances.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This.

Pray they'll follow the example they're being taught at camp instead of the one they're being taught at home. At least they're seeing another side of life for a week of their summer.

Keep up the good work.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

At least it's Church Camp, at least they are going to hear GOOD Things .....

Be glad you are there to help .....

They need you, every year .....

Good for YOU !!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I gotta think that there are some dopers out there who make wonderful parents and some Christians who, not so much. I think we can get too caught up in labels and outward appearances..

I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you don't think substance abuse issues makes it harder to be a good parent I'm not sure what to tell you.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you don't think substance abuse issues makes it harder to be a good parent I'm not sure what to tell you.

I do realize that substance abuse makes it harder to be a good parent. And I could tell some sad stories, even just with my own experiences with kids that my own kids grew up with. There's one young man who was a really nice kid who my son was really close to when they were little, but who has spent as much time in the county jail as out of it as a young adult. Both his parents were alcoholics (still are I would guess) and he had a hell of a time growing up. There was also one mother in our church whose two daughters both went to church camp on the congregation's dime, but not only that, they had to put both girls in the same camp, even though they should have gone on different weeks based on their ages, because if mom couldn't be rid of both at the same time there was apparently no point.

I realize all that. I've just also seen my share of people who are quick to feel superior. And, as I type that, I do know that's probably my own thing I need to let go of.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I gotta think that there are some dopers out there who make wonderful parents and some Christians who, not so much. I think we can get too caught up in labels and outward appearances.
    Nah, my experience shows me that dopers aren't "wonderful" parents. Of course that is a generalization. I'm sure that there are some rare exceptions.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Like has been said, you`re helping kids who obviously otherwise wouldn`t have benefit of being exposed to the teachings of Jesus. I share your disdain for "poor " people who need the tax payers help to eat and live, while they still have a smart phone, tattoos, liquor and cigs. It`s ridiculous their kids are eating free all year long at school on the dime of those who are responsible and do what they should, like work every day. I try to not view it in any light other than, it isn`t the childs fault they were born to irresponsible, selfish clods.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Nah, my experience shows me that dopers aren't "wonderful" parents. Of course that is a generalization. I'm sure that there are some rare exceptions.

Anyone who puts pot, tobacco, alcohol, television, facebook, lust, rage, sloth, etc ahead of their children are ****ty people. I don't see any reason to give folks a pass just because their vices are legal. I'm not saying that you give alchies, tobacco, opiod, facebook, television, etc addicts a pass, but I do get that feeling on here that lots of folks do.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Initial deposit paid, they'll be going to camp. Wife told me today she read the essay of the boy (contest that's part of it, not required), sadly it was about how much he loves camp because it's a week without listening to all the screaming & fighting.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

I have often said "fair" is just a rhetorical construct that has no meaning in real life.

Don

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Initial deposit paid, they'll be going to camp. Wife told me today she read the essay of the boy (contest that's part of it, not required), sadly it was about how much he loves camp because it's a week without listening to all the screaming & fighting.

That's sobering. God bless you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It is now perfectly clear you are doing something solid for those kids.
    Now, what kind of solid can be done with the impostors. Oh, sorry I meant parents.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I'm not even involved and that breaks my heart.

Top Bottom