• ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lots more information:

"He voluntarily ended the chase, got out of the semi, and was complying with state troopers’ commands during a surrender. With his hands in the air, the video shows the Circleville Police K9 unit arrive at the scene, simultaneously yelling different commands to Rose, before the dog was unleashed by Officer Ryan Speakman. Speakman was yelling at Rose to get on the ground, while troopers were yelling for him to walk toward them. A confused Rose pointed at both and stood still, with his hands up. Once the dog was unleashed, it went charging after the state trooper who was yelling to Rose, before the dog was redirected by Speakman and told to attack Rose. By this time, Rose was on his knees with his hands in the air still complying"

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Refuses to stop for DOT. Police get involved. Refuses to stop for some unknown time for the police. Finally pulls over and then flees again. It's no wonder you have 20 cops chasing at this point.

It seems the police screwed the pooch, no pun intended, due to poor communication between different agencies, it was an easily avoided situation by the driver. If he had just pulled over for the DOT the likelihood of having 20 cops chasing you is zero.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Some of y’all are way more bad ass than I am. From what I could see of the doggy play time, the difficulty the had getting his locked on kiss to release, what I could see of the wounds, I would be feeling pretty brutalized.

Some are able to consider a different perspective and realize that a single dog bite is unpleasant. A woman being beaten by multiple antifa and hospitalized is brutalized.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I never wittnesseed a brother Marine weep after the fact for no reason.

One that shows no emotion after the fact should rethink ones employment.

Having no emotion reminds me of watching that Icemans interview years ago.

No reaction is different than a lot of emotion. It isn't a matter of extremes. There is a middle ground.

There is also an appropriate time and place. If you want to do what the movies show and break down in tears immediately after an incident, you're wrong. There is still work to be done.

In this case, stop walking away holding your face. Get a med bag, bring it to the suspect, administer first aid as needed. Cry and get emotional after the vehicle is cleared and EMS arrives, when you're back at your dept.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    After reading the article (which was apparently written by a drama queen), once again, it boils down to FAFO.

Not saying the guy should have been attacked by the dog, just saying it’s yet ANOTHER case where some ****tard does something ignorant, and now he’ll be held up as some kind of hero by other ****tards.

He has no one else to blame but himself.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If I were in that K9 officer's shoes, I feel like I would have a very difficult time articulating to a jury or review board why I released the dog and directed it to attack.

In my opinion, using a police dog is a pretty serious use of force. It's not shocking someone with a magic electric pistol or making their eyes itch with spicy spray. It's teeth ripping and tearing into flesh and causing bleeding. A dog bite isn't quite the same as putting rounds into someone, but IMO it's only one level down on the force ladder.

Is he passively resisting by refusing to walk where he's told, when he's told? Sure. But he's not using or threatening any force, and he's not actively fleeing. They're incredibly valuable for tracking and stopping a fleeing suspect, but personally I do not believe sheer pain compliance on a passively resisting suspect is an appropriate use of K9. I think Circleville is going to be paying out on this one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First, I do not owe you an explanation. Maybe your intent was different but this sounds like you're demanding I explain myself to you.

Second, if I wanted sarcasm I would have indicated that.
    I think you're misunderstanding. I believe CM meant that his statement to which you originally replied was meant to be all purple instead of only the second half being purple.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It looks like he was trying to comply with the original command from the Troopers to walk toward them and then the Circleville K-9 unit officer was giving him a conflicting command. From the way that some of the Troopers were talking on the video before the attack they were handling it and did not want the K-9-unit officer to release the dog.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    "He voluntarily ended the chase, got out of the semi, and was complying with state troopers’ commands during a surrender. With his hands in the air, the video shows the Circleville Police K9 unit arrive at the scene, simultaneously yelling different commands to Rose, before the dog was unleashed by Officer Ryan Speakman. Speakman was yelling at Rose to get on the ground, while troopers were yelling for him to walk toward them. A confused Rose pointed at both and stood still, with his hands up. Once the dog was unleashed, it went charging after the state trooper who was yelling to Rose, before the dog was redirected by Speakman and told to attack Rose. By this time, Rose was on his knees with his hands in the air still complying"
    Sounds like a suspect that should have a dog unleashed on him!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sure the driver effed up and I'm not trying to excuse any of that but it doesn't excuse the two agencies issuing conflicting commands. If you listen to the video audio the Trooper still issued a command for him to walk toward them again after the K-9 unit officer issued a different command after which time the K-9 unit officer released the dog for not complying with his conflicting command that he issued.

So in my estimation they are culpable for effing up that part.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ever been to a Pumpkin Chuckin Contest?
    I used to take the boys to Bridgeville Delaware, absolutely a fun weekend.
    I know they have them west of here, never been. I wish I could've made it to the Pumpkin Show in Circleville when my Uncle had his 1929 Model A convertible pickup in the parade.

Top Bottom