• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Today's Talker: Did City Market cookie shop refuse gay group's order? | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

I voted for Ballard. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a good idea.

This quote from the article is particularly disturbing:

“The mayor was certainly dismayed and wants to make it clear that a person’s values, morality and personal beliefs are absolutely not relevant to making a purchase at the City Market,” said Robert Vane, the mayor’s deputy chief of staff.

My apologies if this is a re-post. I did attempt to search for it without success.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

If your just now wondering that your have not been paying attention.

Its not like there were a lot of choices when the election for mayor came up.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If your just now wondering that your have not been paying attention.

Its not like there were a lot of choices when the election for mayor came up.

You're absolutely right on both points. I will have to admit that Ballard had me a little snowed for a while though.

I'm still just appalled that this or any shop owner would need to worry about an investigation for refusing service to any customer for any reason they saw fit.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Geez. If the guy doesn't sell cookies with rainbows he just don't sell cookies with rainbows. Sometimes I think people look for excuses to complain. Buy some different cookies.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I wanted a Pumpkin Pie smothered in Cool Whip and when he said "I don't sell those" I said dang it, give me a couple oat meal raisin cookies then. No Biggie...

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    What I think is BS is iupui sending mass emails out to its students encouraging a boycott of the store. Now the store has the right to refuse service to anyone that they want to, their decision. At least that's my opinion

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    What I think is BS is iupui sending mass emails out to its students encouraging a boycott of the store. Now the store has the right to refuse service to anyone that they want to, their decision. At least that's my opinion
    SO IUPUI is now an institution for advocating gay rights as opposed to an institution of higher learning? Makes a whole lot of sense.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    SO IUPUI is now an institution for advocating gay rights as opposed to an institution of higher learning? Makes a whole lot of sense.

Not 100% sure if that's the schools official position but the email came from the student council president to all students so take it for what its worth. Maybe I should have specified/clarified that earlier, my bad.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Not 100% sure if that's the schools official position but the email came from the student council president to all students so take it for what its worth. Maybe I should have specified/clarified that earlier, my bad.

Im still not sure how I feel about it.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Im still not sure how I feel about it.

Agreed, as student council president, one should not put themselves into this type of off campus situation especially when using official communication means. Kind of like an Army Officer protesting the president or the country while in uniform or while giving a briefing to other soldiers.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Agreed, as student council president, one should not put themselves into this type of off campus situation especially when using official communication means. Kind of like an Army Officer protesting the president or the country while in uniform or while giving a briefing to other soldiers.
    Exactly, On one hand this person has their first amendment rights. On the other as you stated using campus means of communication (particularly the access to campus wide emaill addresses) for what I can only assume is a personal agenda doesn't sit well with me

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    We must show tolerance for their lifestyle choice. They need not show tolerance for the store-owner's religious views. Tolerance only works one way. Didn't you know that?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Great move, let's chase a few more tenants out of an already half empty city market

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Today's Talker: Did City Market cookie shop refuse gay group's order? | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

“The mayor was certainly dismayed and wants to make it clear that a person’s values, morality and personal beliefs are absolutely not relevant to making a purchase at the City Market,” said Robert Vane, the mayor’s deputy chief of staff.

My apologies if this is a re-post. I did attempt to search for it without success.

OMFG. Homophobe because they won't make rainbow cookies. Indianapolis is the new Bloomington.

And what the hell is the mayor doing weighing in on the situation? They didn't say they wouldn't serve gays. Just that they wouldn't make gay-assed looking cookies.

Buy the chocolate chips. They're better than the ones with all the icing anyway.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

You MUST vote in May, to be able to vote for someone DIFFERENT, in Nov.

Top Bottom