• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    yeah but the government started forgetting or careing that we have rights long ago. this will be yet another instance where the government opens their mouth and spews crap. mayor ballard is one of the most retarded politicians i have ever seen. He is a discrace to veterans.

I don't necessarily agree that Ballard is a retarded politician; he's certainly not a disgrace to veterans, but it looks like he's getting bad advice from the 25th Floor. Shame too, because he's holding the line on spending, which was why we elected him in the first place. Hate to see what will happen to the city if we get another Democrat-led Council and Mayor again; they did so well last time.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Today's Talker: Did City Market cookie shop refuse gay group's order? | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

I voted for Ballard. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a good idea.

This quote from the article is particularly disturbing:

“The mayor was certainly dismayed and wants to make it clear that a person’s values, morality and personal beliefs are absolutely not relevant to making a purchase at the City Market,” said Robert Vane, the mayor’s deputy chief of staff.

My apologies if this is a re-post. I did attempt to search for it without success.

So a person's values, morality and personal beliefs are absolutely not relevant? Fine. Then it is safe to believe that the mayor condones the following types of cookies:
    -cookies with "I really hate [insert a racial/religious/ethnic slur]"
    -cookies that depict images of rape or murder
    -cookies that depict the logos of racist or terrorist organizations
    -cookies that depict sex acts
    -cookies with profanities spelled out on them

That's the scary thing about political correctness, its a sword that can easily cut both ways.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ballard is an anti-gun jackass, politically correct tool, and wholly owned subsidiary of Barnes&Thornburg.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Ballard is an anti-gun jackass, politically correct tool, and wholly owned subsidiary of Barnes&Thornburg.

Yeah, but in all fairness, the Republicant's didn't field anyone, and he stepped up with no organization, $12K and half a tootsie roll. No one expected him to win, and he didn't have anyone to help when he did. All that happened was power shifted from Baker Daniels to Barnes and Thornburg.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    How about Unicorn cookies?

As for the IUPUI bunch (Including Student Council Pres)

Here's what you have to remember about college kids. They want to stand for SOMETHING, and feel like they're gonna CHANGE THE WORLD. So they get over involved and opinionated about all sorts of retarded things and don't realize how stupid they are being. They just want to feel important. They're not.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    How about Unicorn cookies?

As for the IUPUI bunch (Including Student Council Pres)

Here's what you have to remember about college kids. They want to stand for SOMETHING, and feel like they're gonna CHANGE THE WORLD. So they get over involved and opinionated about all sorts of retarded things and don't realize how stupid they are being. They just want to feel important. They're not.

Hey now, don't be grouping all of us into that category. Some of us do have common sense when it comes to picking our battles. ;)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yeah, but in all fairness, the Republicant's didn't field anyone, and he stepped up with no organization, $12K and half a tootsie roll. No one expected him to win, and he didn't have anyone to help when he did. All that happened was power shifted from Baker Daniels to Barnes and Thornburg.

I can't see how that makes it all OK.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    What really compounds the problem that the store faces is that the local pop music channels jumped all over the story, without reading the facts and got the student base riled up over it. All because of a "no-custom-order" rule that somebody took and ran with it.

Sickening, makes the gay community (which I fully support) look really bad to anyone with half a mind. Oh wait, I live in Indy, no such thing as half a mind, only quarter-think here! :D Darn, now I made myself sad just thinking on that. :(

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I can't see how that makes it all OK.

I didn't say it makes it OK. It's like when you say "Wow. She's hot. I wish she would go home with me" knowing you're a fat slob that doesn't stand a chance and couldn't last 30 seconds and she walks up to you and says "Hey you're cute. Wanna go to my place". What are you supposed to do?

In other words, be careful what you ask for. You might just get it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I didn't say it makes it OK. It's like when you say "Wow. She's hot. I wish she would go home with me" knowing you're a fat slob that doesn't stand a chance and couldn't last 30 seconds and she walks up to you and says "Hey you're cute. Wanna go to my place". What are you supposed to do?

In other words, be careful what you ask for. You might just get it.

What? Your analogies are harder to interpret than Chinese algebra. :scratch:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    What? Your analogies are harder to interpret than Chinese algebra. :scratch:

Don't overthink it. Ballard has cut the local budget and prevented the CC from raising taxes, which is the primary reason he was voted in (although it might equally be said that the Democrats were voted out). SemperFiUSMC is just pointing out that the Candidate is not necessarily the resulting Administration. We're now seeing some of the fallout of single-issue elections of previously-unknown candidates.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    yeah but the government started forgetting or careing that we have rights long ago. this will be yet another instance where the government opens their mouth and spews crap. mayor ballard is one of the most retarded politicians i have ever seen. He is a discrace to veterans.

who gives two nickels if they remember. i remember it.
    if i walk into a store and the owner doesn't like me and won't sell to me, what am i going to do, stamp my feet and cry like a little girl with no candy? nah. capitalism. you do business who you want to do business with. and to hell with someone saying YOU GOTTA SELL TO XYZ PEOPLE.

i don't have to sell crap to anyone. but nobody else does either. sure, you won't make as much money if you don't sell to some people. but that's your right to make as much or little money as you feel like it. capitalism. we are a society of capitalism. or we used to be. now. who knows.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    "I don't like gay people, so I refuse to serve you."

I know that's not what happened, but even if it had, it would still be none of the government's business. Substitute any other word for gay you like, including "gun owner,' and it's still none of the government's business.

Just like who works there, what their pay and benefits are, or anything else that happens on someone else's private property.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "I don't like gay people, so I refuse to serve you."

I know that's not what happened, but even if it had, it would still be none of the government's business. Substitute any other word for gay you like, including "gun owner,' and it's still none of the government's business.

Just like who works there, what their pay and benefits are, or anything else that happens on someone else's private property.
    Unfortunately, the property is not "private". It is owned and rented out by the local government and they've set certain rental terms in place. It looks like the one owner may have violated those terms and the city is going to do what government often does. React. Their property, their rules...that's just the way it shakes out when you play in the governments sand box.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As an IU alum, I would like to have the ability and access to the same emails addresses that the Student Council President to tell the youngsters that they need to get back to their studies instead of worry about PC crap like this. That they are graduating from college well below the level of most kids around the world and it is probably partially due to being overly concerned with matters like this. So unless they are majoring in gay studies and have no desire to ever be gainfully employed, get to class and let the pointy headed idiots that make a living at extorting law abiding people they disagree with handle this.

By the way did the rainbow cupcake eating fellas have milk mustaches when they came into the store?

Top Bottom