• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    City plans to bill pastor for security around planned Quran burning - CNN.com
    ]
    One good stunt deserves another. Just when you thought it was safe to go outside, Gainsville is going to attempt to charge Pastor Jones for phantom services provided when exercising his rights.

I don't think that the planned burning was helpful, and probably would have been less helpful had it actually occurred. But the government charging for "security" post hoc seems designed only to suppress the free exercise of rights to assemble and speech in the future. Next you'll hear that they city is condemning the church.

Regardless your political leaning, this action should send chills up your leg (for reasons other than those expressed by Chris Matthews).

Since the government can't outlaw speech, they'll just make it too expensive to utter.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i have heard of other cities doing this and sadly i believe in indiana. yes it is rediculous!

i thought we already paid for services in the form of taxes? i never use them, so how about giving me a break on my taxes and only billing the criminals for services rendered? lol yeah right.

a stupid city

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think when the Klan wanted to rally several years ago, the City said they had to pay the bill for security.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    how about making Indiana Black Expo pay for their own security since its the most violent event in the city?

i mean if they do it to one then its fair for the other.

I hate how government trys to control freedom of speech and freedom through license fees and permits, etc. its not right.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would just say, "I didn't ask you for your security so you can't bill me for it." Thats like somebody coming to your house, washing your car, and then sending you a bill in the mail for it. I didn't ask you to come wash my f'in car so you did it on your own accord not my problem.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Next thing you know citizens will be charged per minute each time a LEO stops them.

"Here's your speeding ticket....oh, and here is your bill for my time. Have a nice day."

I will feel really sorry for the OC'ers who get detained for stupid amounts of time then. :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Just another act of Intimidation.

The Govt can keep it's stupid security. I've seen how they're security works; Allow the mob to attack and brutalize the people, and then pretend like they're doing a job.

If I want security, I think I'll look to the street gangs.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think when the Klan wanted to rally several years ago, the City said they had to pay the bill for security.

I remember when they marched in Lafayette several years back, they did. The city put up chain link fence, welded the manhole covers shut and reportedly put snipers on the roofs.

However..... when Hillary or Obama comes to town to give a campaign speech, no charge is made to their campaign for the costs of the extra security.

I don't think anyone came to town that didn't have a (D) at the end of their name, but it would have been interesting to see if the same policy
    held true.

Blessings,
    Bill

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I would refuse to pay. I didn't request the service, therefore I'm not paying the bill. I don't see how the city could obtain a Judgement in the matter, much less collect it. IDIOTS. So much for the people who howl about seperation of church and state. I'm 1/2 blinded by the hypocrisy.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Did he ask for the security? Heck, if he didn't ask and the PD is charging I will go to the station, wash the windows and send them a bill for $11,000.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Gee, I thought the main purpose of government was to prevent force being inititated against people who are peacefully exercising their rights.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When I was working for the City, we periodically looked for ways to collect some reimbursement for all the overtime required for major special events (and we have a ton of large special events in Indianapolis/Marion County every year). Such efforts always foundered on the fact that certain large annual events didn't pay (and never would) and there was no justification for charging anyone else.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    This is similar to what many volunteer fire departments around the state are doing. There was a fire in a small town in Henry County. The volunteer fire department sent the family a bill for $28,000. My cousin is a volunteer fireman and he said his department will bill a person's insurance company for the cost of a fire or accident run.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is similar to what many volunteer fire departments around the state are doing. There was a fire in a small town in Henry County. The volunteer fire department sent the family a bill for $28,000. My cousin is a volunteer fireman and he said his department will bill a person's insurance company for the cost of a fire or accident run.

Yeah, these are all departments that have signed on with some billing company out of Brownsburg. I saw one where they drove out to an auto accident. No one was hurt, no fire, they just rolled up to check on things when they heard the call. They sent the elderly people a $2000 bill.

Most insurance companies won't pay it so they pursue the poor people that got caught up in this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I'd like to know how the eff they can even consider asking him to pay squat, since he's a tax paying citizen.

If my taxes goes to fund social programs like an established Para-Military force (LE) then I ought NOT be charged for crap, other than the taxes I pay.

That coward (Pastor Jones) needs to lead march on those who are attempting to intimidate him.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010

Kinda wonder if they know the meaning of the word "volunteer." It is outrageous that a government entity would charge extra for emergency services already funded by forced taxation. Isn't the equipment of a volunteer fire department paid for by the government, or government grants? If not, and it is billing people for services, then it is a business, not a volunteer service agency.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Kinda wonder if they know the meaning of the word "volunteer." It is outrageous that a government entity would charge extra for emergency services already funded by forced taxation. Isn't the equipment of a volunteer fire department paid for by the government, or government grants? If not, and it is billing people for services, then it is a business, not a volunteer service agency.

Saying a fire department is a "Volunteer Fire Department" is somewhat misleading. It means the firefighters are not paid (or are paid a nominal fee). Funding for these departments is often minimal and they rely on fund-raising activities for much-needed equipment. However, many volunteer departments are so under-funded that they don't have money to pay for mandated equipment, training, and supplies, and fund-raising doesn't always cover the gaps.

I don't agree that police, fire service, or ambulance service agencies should bill just for rolling out, but I do believe they should be able to bill for services provided above and beyond their mandated/funded duties.

Perhaps what would work out better would be that departments should provide services until their funding runs out, then shut down until the next time their funding comes due? Or perhaps VFDs and ambulance services should run by subscription/fee only to those who contract with them for services.

Last edited:

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009

Most Volunteer Fire Departments are just contractor's. Since a City or Township cannot have volunteer's they have to contract this. Most places not even the trucks are government owned. Ambulance service is a county service by law. Most Fire Departments picked this up as a "income".

By law a township has to provide a fire department with fire suppression duties only. That could include one person with a bucket of water. The quality is not mandated at all. There are so many fire departments in Indiana it is not even funny. Another reason why township government is outdated and needs to go bye-bye.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is rediculous. We all pay our taxes to fund things like this. They should either charge a per use fee, OR charge us taxes. I don't want to leave it up to a politician or government entity to decide what is above and beyond the normal duties of the police or fire department.

That should go for all activities...Black Expo, Indy 1500 (which I think it does), Colts games, Mini Marathon, etc...

In other words, if I am using it, I will pay for it, but if I'm not using it, I don't want to pay for it.

Top Bottom