• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hmm I thought it was highway to health as it was one of my favorite workout songs back when I did such things and Record burning was a popular pastime.

As an aside...

How do you publicly burn an MP3?

I used to do that with Napster but then it became illegal.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Should Christians watch Game of Thrones?
    If their faith is fragile enough to be influenced by modern media, probably not.

On a related note, there's an ongoing drama/conflict/tempest in a tea pot about whether Catholics should do yoga. The dogmatic element mitigating against it is that such activities might open up a believer to allowing Eastern religion seep in.

Now, regarding GoT, it was recommended to me by someone who is usually a great reference point for me on entertainment. He did offer a caveat that if I couldn't make it through the first episode, then I'm not going to like it. But, if I could, then I'd probably really love it.

I didn't make it through the first episode. Almost to the end, but not quite. Did not find it entertaining enough to overlook the absurdly non-entertaining parts.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The question was brought on by reading this:

Bad Company Corrupts Good Morals / OrthoChristian.Com

I had also listened to a podcast that I THINK is the one the writer refers to.

I like your related note. Orthodox have the same discussion. The difference is there is much in Orthodox spirituality that has an Eastern "feel" to it for lack of a better word. In my younger Orthodox days, I would have slammed the yoga door very fast. As I learned more about it, I can see where some forms could be ok, at least in the stretching portion and could be combined with orthodox prayers.

That's coming from a guy that nowadays would like to learn Tai Chi but can't find a place to do so :)

If their faith is fragile enough to be influenced by modern media, probably not.

On a related note, there's an ongoing drama/conflict/tempest in a tea pot about whether Catholics should do yoga. The dogmatic element mitigating against it is that such activities might open up a believer to allowing Eastern religion seep in.

Now, regarding GoT, it was recommended to me by someone who is usually a great reference point for me on entertainment. He did offer a caveat that if I couldn't make it through the first episode, then I'm not going to like it. But, if I could, then I'd probably really love it.

I didn't make it through the first episode. Almost to the end, but not quite. Did not find it entertaining enough to overlook the absurdly non-entertaining parts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know the family that started this:
    SoulCore | Exercise For Mind, Body, & Soul

Now, it likely has FAR too Catholic a vibe to it for non-Catholics (including integrating the Rosary). But, I thought it was a great way to meet market demand for the stretching/exercise component without the philosophical baggage.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Read your linked blog post. Very interesting; I liked it.

Pertinent to GoT, Lot remained righteous. He didn't speak up against the moral decay, but he also didn't join it. And at least some of his family members were more like him.

So, perhaps not the intended lesson from the blog, but the idea is that it is possible to remain righteous amongst the filth.

Of course, temptations are tempting. Its in the name. If the righteousness is not strong enough, or rather, WHEN it wanes (not really "if"), is the person strong enough to resist/repent.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If it's true that one becomes what he eats, is it not also possible one could become what he consumes, more generally?

Eating the occasional piece of pizza or ice cream may not make you fat but there is a general correlation and causation of what a consistent diet will change you into. I'd suggest the same can hold true with other things you might consume. There's probably a good reason we are taught to focus on what is good and righteous and avoid that which is not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can't picture Christ sitting down for an hour of gratuitous nudity/language/violence. Maybe that's my narrow-minded Baptist coming out. Darn baptists.

Indeed. He didn't indulge in much entertainment (from what we can tell) at all. :) His work didn't leave Him much free time. ;)

Here's the thing - I think He would do what was necessary to meet people where they were. If that meant being able to teach His lessons using GoT themes/characters/parables, then I think that's what He'd do. (Granted, being omniscient, He wouldn't actually have to watch the show to know what was happening.)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    But he lost his wife and two daughters.

I think the question is more what good is it really? The response is usually to engage those around us. Is the benefit worth the gain? Do our conversations revolve around Christ when we talk about the latest episodes?

Most times this discussion devolves into a do you think you are holier than me conversation, but the older I get the less I see the need to interact with certain forms of entertainment.

Read your linked blog post. Very interesting; I liked it.

Pertinent to GoT, Lot remained righteous. He didn't speak up against the moral decay, but he also didn't join it. And at least some of his family members were more like him.

So, perhaps not the intended lesson from the blog, but the idea is that it is possible to remain righteous amongst the filth.

Of course, temptations are tempting. Its in the name. If the righteousness is not strong enough, or rather, WHEN it wanes (not really "if"), is the person strong enough to resist/repent.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Baptists have no corner in that market. I can't think of a group of Christians that don't have those that feel this way.

I can't picture Christ sitting down for an hour of gratuitous nudity/language/violence. Maybe that's my narrow-minded Baptist coming out. Darn baptists.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So... trying figure out why Kevin left, then what's the deal with RCA, then over the Reddit, where Lutherans won't let Baptist celebrate the Reformation (so we just have our own celebration with grape juice & casseroles), led me to this little gem:

[video=youtube;lM9BR55nA2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9BR55nA2U[/video]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    EndIsNear1.jpg

Nevermind.....
    Doomsday is not on Saturday after all, writer says after predicting end of the world | Fox News

I thought for sure I saw Nibiru in this morning's sky as I was waiting with the kids at the bus stop... now I realize it was probably just Venus.

-rvb

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom