CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't mind me derailing this thread... just watching five hours of Alex Jones on Joe Rogan, now they're talking about Ezekiel 100% being a story about an alien encounter.

Thoughts?

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    OK, starting over...
    I've never been able to have a conversation with Judeo-Christian-Islam based religion believer without an issue.
    I also don't know anyone else seeking an explanation of 'Belief' without issues with the same.

--------

Switching to science, new paragraph, changing gears...

Science has found a direct relationship between the number of connections between the amygdala & temporal lobe in the human brain and faith.
    People of faith have had these connections damaged, and those surviving that kind of brain damage, and still able to communicate report a loss of faith.

I full well admit this is a small test group since brain damage deep enough to reach these areas usually don't survive or communicate coherently,
    But the recent wars produced an unusual number of surviving traumatic brain injuries.

Now, it's been dubbed 'The God Spot'.

I don't use that as either positive or negative, it's just shorter than the actual name of the field of study.

Determination if it's a 'Defect' or not... Since nearly 2/3 of humans have it... I wouldn't call it a defect since it's so common.
    Is it like an appendix? A remnant of something we used to be or need? Don't know... No opinion, but it's possible.
    Does it allow for some kind of sensory perception other than the standard 5 senses? I don't know, but I don't discount the possibility.

What has been studied, born, diagnosed psychopaths don't have the connections even if they claim they have faith later in life after they get caught doing something horrendous.

What has been studied, the more 'Faithful' people claim to be the more connections.
    This study is limited since the faithful rarely die of something and have committed to a study before their deaths, and don't get excited or die in prison where the state has control of the remains.
    The more horrific the crime, the less likely someone is to claim the remains... So they have a larger study subject group.

People with lesser connections tend to be more along the lines of deists, rather than hard core believers in a specific religious dogma.

-------------

Again, new paragraph, new subject, leaving the 'God Spot' behind.

As for hard core religious believers, it's been my experience that some still believe in slavery, chopping off hands, basically all the bad parts of the Judeo-Christian-Islam texts.

These people also seem to think ignoring the parts about divorce, hard drink, lying, cheating, stealing etc., And they don't forgive ANYTHING, those parts don't seem to apply to THEM, or the modern day.
    This would make anyone wonder if they were dealing with a sociopath or psychopath rather than a 'True Believer' since the parts they choose benefits THEM.
    One breath saying they are 'Good Christians'Since, the next relating stories about beating some 'idiot' out of his money, jacking up costs when dealing with people ignorant of his particular occupation, padding the bill... Doesn't quite jibe with the claim of being a good Christian.

This confuses me and I have a LOT more questions than answers when it happens...

------------

Again, new paragraph, switching subjects...

I am abrasive.
    I spent 16 years in the military and I expect to get a direct answer when I ask a direct question.
    I never expected everyone to directly know the differences between science & religion, clear definitions & divisions, and that apparently isn't the case.
    Religion is discussed in the church or equivalent, science is internal ballistics, external ballistics & terminal ballistics.

Science is mass, velocity, inertia while religion is about how YOU feel when the target drops, and how you feel later about putting that target down.

I don't have the slightest idea how to help someone deal with that action after it's done, that's something I don't have a clue about because that's in the 'Belief' territory, and the Corps doesn't teach that...

Side note,
    When you question dropping people, the Corps discharges you calling it 'Crippling' PTSD, Survivors Guilt, etc., or find another excuse.
    I know because I was part of that system.
    And if you think the VA can deal with PTSD, then ask why up to 10 veterans kill themselves every day, or ask any vet about how effective his PTSD treatment has been (hint: no treatment, they just control you with drugs).

*IF* self examination were a path to 'Faith', then about every vet should have 'Faith'.
    Any thoughts on why that doesn't happen in so many cases?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Historical lense.... Current bible, "The Word Of God".
    OK, so please alone me to address each one of these points. A lot of them are arguments I haven't heard before, so I'm going to flex my brain muscle and do some checking.

1. Hebrew/Jewish with a Spanish name. There is no Hebrew/Jewish comparable name to this day, Jewish use Jesus.
    I'm a bit confused, Spanish wasn't recorded before the 9th century, so I'm unsure how you think the Greek name Ἰησοῦς is derived from a language that would come into being for another 800 years.

2. Parents have European names that have roots in traditional names from the middle east, but not traditional middle eastern/Hebrew names that were used at the time.
    Joseph, or in Hebrew יוֹסֵף, dates to at least the 5th century BC.
    Mary, or in Aramaic, מרים‎, is derived from Egyptian, the close name Miriam, is also as old and from the same source.

At the very least, it's a bad translation screwed up by humans if you believe 'God' isn't capable of a mistake.
    How exactly early English translators came up with Jesus, Joseph and Mary (Ha! I sound like a surprised Irish Catholic woman!), is somewhat irrelevant as they are recorded as Ἰησοῦς, Ἰωσήφ, and Μαρία, by Luke and others in the first century.

3. Would have been 'Average' about 5'3" tall, had a pronounced nose, a thicker lower lip than top lip, a rounded, flatter face than Europeans do. Dark skinned, dark hair & dark eyes simply because all Jewish people had those features on average 2,000+ years ago.
    You know, I lament unrealistic depictions of the tall, handsome, well coifed Jesus by El Greco and others. I cringe every Xmas when I see "white baby Jesus" in mangers. I'm not sure what else I can say except racial bias isn't unique to America.

4. The earliest reference to 'Jesus' being 'Devine' was about 200 years AFTER 'Jesus' died,and that reference was in Rome (state, not city).
    I disagree. The earliest is when Jesus made those claims about himself. Then, John lays it all out in his gospel. Furthermore, Paul is none to subtle in his claims of divinity in the mid first century.

5. Constantine (the great) convened the council of divinity to decide if 'Jesus' was 'Devine', or a composite/created being.
    I believe you're referencing the First Council of Nicaea. Just because the result was the first creed, and formalization of the doctrine of Christology, doesn't mean the belief wasn't widely held before then. Honestly, it's been quite a while since I study the various councils, Foszoe would be the guy to address those further.

6. Let's not forget that the Hebrew words for 'Virgin' & 'Maiden' (unmarried) were entirely different.
    The Greek translation switched 'Maiden' (unmarried) for 'Virgin'. Anything from a translation error to completely changing the story...
    I find it incredibly interesting when Christians who ostensibly believe God created the Universe, he freed the slaves in Egypt, Jesus performed all sorts of miracles, took on the sin of mankind at death, resurrected... yet the virgin birth gives them heartburn? Doesn't Matthew 1:18-25 clear all this up?

It's also the reason for the council of divinity that lasted for 300 years...
    Not tracking.

You asked these question earlier:

How would an old book tell me how the universe was created when religious dogma says Earth is the center of the solar system and the sun/planets revolve around it?
    The fact is, it doesn't. It's not a scientific treatise about creation of the universe. It does describe why the universe was created. The early Hebrews didn't care about how so much as why. In contrast, our fact-based scientific society is more concerned about how instead of why. Unfortunately, the Bible was written to the Hebrews, so we don't get the answers we want from the Bible. That's were science gives us the answers. That's why science and religion complement each other - one says how, one say why.

Evolution isn't up for debate, it's conclusively proven fact.
    Let's agree to disagree. The theory of evolution is still evolving. E.g. What ever happened to punctuated equillibrium?

Show me an alien spacecraft that's stamped "Made In Alpha Centauri" and I will consider space traveling aliens...
    I don't believe in extraterrestrial life.

One thing about comparative religion, you learn where all the books of the bible were co-opted from, what the actual source was.
    This pretty conclusively proves it's not what the bible claims it is.
    I think you're hinting at the coincidence of flood stories in many wide cultures. To me that seems to go to its veracity. If you have other specific issues, I'll address them.

From the birth of Jesus, Mary & Joseph (nice European names) were on their way to register in the Roman census.
    Roman census was during the "Ides Of March", simply meaning the middle of March.
    It also states "The shepherds where in the fields", the only time shepherds stay in the field was during birthing season, usually the first two weeks in March or a little longer.
    So why did the deity get his most holy day of birth moved to December? (Co-opted 'Pegan' holiday)
    The Bible makes no mention of the date or even season of Christ birth. Let's face it, there's a whole lot of man made myths about Xmas, e.g. Three Wise Men. None of this changes the actual recorded history, or lessens Christ's impact or mission. Perhaps Foszoe will chime in about the early church. But, I do know that even today, exact dates of birth aren't as important in Eastern cultures as they are in Western cultures.
    Why was the 'Resurrection' moved to spring? (Co-opting of Ester, another Pegan holiday)
    The 'Resurrection' is the basis of the entire religion, why would the church move the date?
    Not sure what you mean by "moved". It's clearly recorded that it coincided with Passover.

Why was the council of divinity formed in the first place, and why 300+ years after the resurrection to determine *IF* Jesus was divine, or just a man/myth?
    Why did it take 300 years for the council to decide their deity was 'divine' or not? (because they would loose power & wealth if declared just a man/myth).
    Why did so many people die for a myth? The disciples were all there, so presumably they all knew it was just one big hoax. They had no power, they had no wealth, just scorn, torture, and death; yet they persevered until the end.

This is history, not legend, written about extensively AT THE TIME, while there isn't a single reference of 'Jesus' from his own time.
    There is. First, there's the gospels. Four separate account of Christ from direct witnesses. In any other context for the time period, this would be sufficient, yet for the Bible, somehow the bar gets moved way higher...
    Circa 110, Pliny wrote about a "troublesome group" call Christians who "... assemble before daylight and recite by turns a form of words to Christ as a god; and they bound themselves with an oath, ..."
    There's Christian inscriptions found in the ruins of Pompeii (79 AD)
    Tacitus writes about the fires of Rome (64 AD) and Christians. Without going into details, he confirms the time of Jesus and the location. If I'm correct, Tacitus attest that Christ was crucified by Pilate.
    Cicero, Suetonius both write about the "problem" with Christians. Thus it can be derived that Christians were already in Rome by 49 AD.
    Then there's the Jewish author Josephus... and Rabbi Eliezer...

All this confirms some of the historicity of the account of Jesus and show that Christianity spread early and fast.

How did this happen? If Christianity had appeal, such as wealth or prosperity, I could understand it. But no, to become a Christian in a world dominated by Rome and Pharisaical law, Christianity was as close as you get to a death sentence (just like today in many countries).

These are questions a lot of people have and exactly zero have been answered, and I've only met religious historians that won't melt down at the mention of these questions...
    They've been answered multiple times to multiple people and written in multiple books.

Any other concerns I may address?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't mind me derailing this thread... just watching five hours of Alex Jones on Joe Rogan, now they're talking about Ezekiel 100% being a story about an alien encounter.

Thoughts?

Yeah... even I don't know what to make of Ezekiel.

I do remember there was a tank or something in Command & Conquer called "Ezekiel's Wheel".

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Switching to science, new paragraph, changing gears...

Science has found a direct relationship between the number of connections between the amygdala & temporal lobe in the human brain and faith.
    People of faith have had these connections damaged, and those surviving that kind of brain damage, and still able to communicate report a loss of faith.

I full well admit this is a small test group since brain damage deep enough to reach these areas usually don't survive or communicate coherently,
    But the recent wars produced an unusual number of surviving traumatic brain injuries.

Now, it's been dubbed 'The God Spot'.

You have to realize if you want to continue... that connecting religious people with brain damage is not productive, and not positive, and not going to illicit a reasoned response.

You're throwing that out as a jab, because it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the conversations going on right now.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

Thoughts?

If you ask me,
    Alex Jones is bat s**t crazy, he's WAY past the run of the mill crazy.

Joe Rogan will say anything to keep an audience, but solves ZERO issues, and needs an education on EVERYTHING.

As for talking to aliens, and them talking back to you, with an objective instead of subjective (religious) view, about a 50/50 chance either way.
    Gods are most certainly alien compared to humans, we are not gods, they are not humans, so it's 50/50.

From a science standpoint it's a 50/50 split between schizophrenia & made up story seeking attention.
    Keep in mind, with science, when you talk to god it's praying. Waste of time but harmless.
    When god talks directly to you, it's mental illness...

The 'Gods' opening line... "Do not be afraid", coincidentally then opening line of every serial killer!
    Not saying there is a connection, just pointing out the coincidence...

I don't know about you, but God or alien, the first thing I'm going to do (assuming I wasn't hit with a paralyzing ray) I would RUN while taking a dump in my jeans!
    A god can zap you out of existence because he/she/it's in bad mood, an alien needs his 'death ray', but the results are the same for me either way, so I'M GONE!
    Not suffering from Dunning-Kruger I'm not the best person for contact, so let that person take his/her chances...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK, starting over...
    I've never been able to have a conversation with Judeo-Christian-Islam based religion believer without an issue.
    I also don't know anyone else seeking an explanation of 'Belief' without issues with the same.

I really hope we change your impression. I believe other INGO atheist have found their interactions with INGO Christians to be favorable for the most part.

Also, even the few INGO Muslims have had favorable and enlightening interactions with all in this context.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have to realize if you want to continue... that connecting religious people with brain damage is not productive, and not positive, and not going to illicit a reasoned response.

You're throwing that out as a jab, because it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the conversations going on right now.

Well said.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

Not a 'Jab' since I don't know the function of the connections. Just a statement of fact.

There are two basic ideas,
    One is it's some sensory connection not everyone has, while everything else in the 'Average' human body has, or had a function.
    What *IF* those connections connect some dots the people that don't have it can't make?
    Like an appendix, it serves, or did serve a function of some kind... I just don't know what in particular.

The second idea is it's a short circuit in the brain causing delusion.
    I don't particularly subscribe to this because so many, nearly 2/3 of the population has the connections.
    What would a short circuit causing delusions help humans in the past or currently?
    Something suffering from delusions (like temporal lobe disease or problems) wouldn't function well enough to survive during keyhole events.

I just think it's interesting that the faithful have them, the more they have the more faith they seem to claim,
    And since I used the word claim, there isn't any reason to believe the claims are false. It's their response.

It's also ONE of the areas (plural) that lights up while praying during an MRI/CAT scan, or being shown religious images.
    Different areas light up when praying, others when viewing religious icons (the most obvious being the visual centers), while those connections light up with both.

It's science, make out of it what you want to, but don't assume I'm beating anyone over the head with it to be an insult...

Originally, those connections were believed to be related to 'Imagination'.
    Imagination can't be measured, neither can depth of belief, you have to rely on what the subject reports.
    It was the subjects themselves that reported a 'Loss Of Faith' after damage, which set the science in a new direction.
    They didn't report a loss of imagination...

I don't possess enough imagination, or education, to speculate, so I'm watching the research by actual professionals.
    Dunning-Kruger aside, I'm not a neurologist or brain function specialists and don't play one on TV either...
    Both religious & pure science are researching it... And I'm watching because I'm simply curious! Too ignorant to follow it all, but still curious...

With religion AND pure science interested, and so very few things that attract the attention of both, it's rare to be sure, which piques my interest even more.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With religion AND pure science interested, and so very few things that attract the attention of both, it's rare to be sure, which piques my interest even more.

Then, speaking as someone that isn't really on either side of this conversation... I'm not a militant atheist, and I'm not a devout Christian...

When I read your posts, you come off as a labratory scientist, observing and speaking to the people in this thread as though they were lab rats or subjects to be studied.

That... has a little bit of a superiority whiff to it. Again, you do you, no need to heed whatever my observations are... but perhaps coming off more as an equal would be more beneficial to everyone involved. "They" may learn more about you, and you may learn more about "them"... without it seeming like you're using them as an experiment or something.

Or maybe I'm the only one seeing it that way.

I will say, however, I have been enjoying the banter here lately. I do like what you're bringing to the thread, and the responses to you. It's interesting, on every side.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Then, speaking as someone that isn't really on either side of this conversation... I'm not a militant atheist, and I'm not a devout Christian...

When I read your posts, you come off as a labratory scientist, observing and speaking to the people in this thread as though they were lab rats or subjects to be studied.

That... has a little bit of a superiority whiff to it. Again, you do you, no need to heed whatever my observations are... but perhaps coming off more as an equal would be more beneficial to everyone involved. "They" may learn more about you, and you may learn more about "them"... without it seeming like you're using them as an experiment or something.

Or maybe I'm the only one seeing it that way.

I will say, however, I have been enjoying the banter here lately. I do like what you're bringing to the thread, and the responses to you. It's interesting, on every side.

Pretend you are talking to a US Marine Gunnery Sergeant...
    How would you expect a Marine Gunnery Sergeant to communicate?

...... There you go....

As for scientific seeming, all, everyone, no exceptions are to be studied. Not 'Lab Rats', but take in as much as I'm able.
    The larger the sample source the more accurate the findings.
    Observation is the first step of science...
    And don't assume I don't study my own actions, probably more myself than others since I know what I'm thinking...

And YES, I do pick EVERYTHING apart, quantify, classify, qualify, verify, etc.

And it might not surprise anyone, but I was also diagnosed with asperger's syndrome in the Marines.
    They were trying to decide if I was a psychopath, but concluded I have Asperger's syndrome.

It works FOR me in a big way when something has to be done by tight specification.
    It works FOR me in a big way when I'm building machines or components.

Not so good for dealing with people, between being a career Marine & asperger's, it's often difficult face to face, and darn near impossible over the internet.
    I've apologized repeatedly for being 'Gruff', we all aren't the same...

But the point is, we are NOT equals. Every single person is different.

I can't keep up when the conversation comes to religion simply because I don't have the feeling of faith, and I don't know what it is.
    When my wife says, "I'm Fine", I actually believe it.
    Someone can be boiling mad at me and I can't tell, which is why I've leaned to always be ready to get punched...

I can build things, completely re-engineer & build things from scratch, often without blueprints since I can work out the components in my head, see things articulated and in wire frame. Most people need a CAD program to do that...
    I don't often remember my own birthday, but I can quote obscure facts I leaned 35 years ago.
    The biggest part of my work is troubleshooting things everyone else has failed on, often with repeat customers I POed...

I can't make any sense of 'Celebrities' that haven't done anything notable, or anything at all.
    I can't make any sense of 'Social Media', it all looks like random brain vomit to me, the stuff your brain should discard when you sleep.
    I can't make sense of 'Baby Daddy', even though my niece has three.
    I can't make sense of complaining about the president 'Ruining' the country when he can't pass any laws, is only in office for 8 years maximum, and Congress members stay for an AVERAGE of 34 years, and make ALL LAWS that screwed the country up.

There are a LOT of things I don't understand... So we aren't all the same...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    OK, starting over...
    seeking an explanation of 'Belief'.

well I tried to explain faith above.
    are you looking for an explanation of what we believe?
    why we believe?

--------

As for hard core religious believers, it's been my experience that some still believe in slavery, chopping off hands, basically all the bad parts of the Judeo-Christian-Islam texts.

These people also seem to think ignoring the parts about divorce, hard drink, lying, cheating, stealing etc., And they don't forgive ANYTHING, those parts don't seem to apply to THEM, or the modern day.
    This would make anyone wonder if they were dealing with a sociopath or psychopath rather than a 'True Believer' since the parts they choose benefits THEM.
    One breath saying they are 'Good Christians'Since, the next relating stories about beating some 'idiot' out of his money, jacking up costs when dealing with people ignorant of his particular occupation, padding the bill... Doesn't quite jibe with the claim of being a good Christian.

This confuses me and I have a LOT more questions than answers when it happens...

I'm not going to address any other religion than Christianity, but that is not what is taught. Jesus kept the woman from getting stoned by asking that he who has not sinned throw the first stone. I addressed this earlier in the progression from old testament to new. And people who profess faith but do not act accordingly is a good time to use quotes when describing these "Christians." We try to reflect Jesus in our actions. We all fall short at times. There are groups out there with fringe ideas, but I've NEVER met a Christian who thinks slavery is ok, or who wants to kill adulterers, etc.

------------

*IF* self examination were a path to 'Faith', then about every vet should have 'Faith'.
    Any thoughts on why that doesn't happen in so many cases?

Perhaps the notion is wrong? I don't think self examination is a path to faith at all. Self examination by itself leads to us being our own god, thinking we have the solution to all the problems. The Bible tells us that to trust only in your own heart is foolish. faith comes from studying the word, from asking God to enhance it, from experiences, ... and from this little part of the brain ... ;)

-rvb

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Thoughts?

I don't mind. It's a much neglected subject because people have been trained to have a knee jerk response to it.

Vehicles flying around the sky are like any other. There's good ones and bad ones, depending on who's behind the wheel.
    But about Ezekiel, the Father was in control of what Ezekiel was allowed to see and report on. The descriptive details tie in with other books of the old testament as one should expect.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    There are groups out there with fringe ideas, but I've NEVER met a Christian who thinks slavery is ok

I probably shouldn't wade into this discussion, but you need to read some history to understand that in the past, some Christians have thought slavery was okay. In fact, during the Civil War, the South declared their constitution invoked the favor and guidance of Almighty God and many, many Southern Baptist preachers used the Bible to support slavery. That, unfortunately, is a fact.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom