• ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Hello,
    I inherited a Gemtech Halo last year. I tried to put it over my AR-15 bird cage and it wouldn't go on. I took it to my LGS and they determined it had gunk built up so much it wouldn't go on. They recommended soaking it in mineral spirits, which I did for about an hour, then I let it dry. The buildup then scraped off easily with a cleaning brush and it screwed on easily.
    This thought got in my head the other day. "Good God, I hope they gave me good information and I didn't damage the suppressor's internal parts." Gemtech states their 5.56 suppressors don't really need maintenance, but I forgot at the moment to ask if soaking it in mineral spirits could have done it any harm. Gemtech is at SHOT Show now till the 20th, so I thought I'd check here. I would like feedback from people more knowledgeable than me. I did learn a lesson though. Download and read the manual...

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Mineral spirits is fine. I have the Trek which is very Similar. According to the manual you can use a combination of mineral spirits and AT fluid to clean out any unburnt powder and residue. The big thing they dont recommend is using water based solvents.

I do very little to clean mine aside from keeping the threads clean and blowing it out with canned air occasionally.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. Gemtech did recommend I purchase a "spacer" from them for my flash hider. I am considering getting their Outback IId for my Marlin Papoose and 10/22. Any thoughts?

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I literally just received my outback II from the dealer last friday. It is VERY impressive for its size. Dead quiet on my Walther p22. Before, I was using my Trek 556 on all my 22 rifles and my 9mm can on my 22 pistols.

It doesnt come with the disassembly spanner wrench, which sucks, so i would recommend ordering one of those two.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Thanks, Cook. It would be safe to assume it would be a little louder on a rifle, correct? I've just been debating getting a full size 9mm pistol, or the .22 suppressor and wait...
    Seems like the Outback would be a lot of fun.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks, Cook. It would be safe to assume it would be a little louder on a rifle, correct? I've just been debating getting a full size 9mm pistol, or the .22 suppressor and wait...
    Seems like the Outback would be a lot of fun.

That's a complex question to answer. On a rifle it sounds louder because your ears are right next to the bolt as it moves and bangs around. If your standing away from it there is little difference between the rifle and the pistol, atleast for my hearing purposes :) I might give a little edge to my M&P 22 rifle. It is impressively quiet.

I also have a marlin 22 that is in bolt action that is stupid quiet with either can on it. Pretty much all you hear with it is the firing pin and a small poof of gas coming out the front. i highly recommend you get a bolt action, just for the ridiculous quietness.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Did you find you had to clean your Trek after shooting .22, or did you just pop it on your AR and shoot a few rounds?

Wow, So many questions! i cant keep up!

I just put it on my ar 15 and dump two mags back to back. I figure once the smoke is rolling out of it, thats good enough. When i get home I clean the threads with a soft brush and a little oil. Then blow it all out with canned air. that method has served me well.

Top Bottom