• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    So, I've read the entire thread, and didn't see any mention of one of the best resources to avoid ever having to clear the house in the first place......a dog/dogs. We have two large dogs, that seriously hate visitors to our home. I'm very confident that any threat attempting to enter the house will meet with heavy resistance, and at least be slowed way down in their efforts to get in, and that's before the threat even gets to me or my family. I can't imagine ever living without my dogs.

That's a great point, and I actually do plan to get a dog in the next couple of years. But that isn't really an option right now unfortunately

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I like the idea of a wallswitch-controlled lamp to light up the rest of the house; for us, our lights are traditional desk lamps with their own switches, so they're out of the equation. That said, I wonder how well those LED truck lightbars would work, mounted above the TV.... a floodlamp hanging in the corner of your living room would seem to clash with the decor, but something by the TV wouldn't be too obvious.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the idea of a wallswitch-controlled lamp to light up the rest of the house; for us, our lights are traditional desk lamps with their own switches, so they're out of the equation. That said, I wonder how well those LED truck lightbars would work, mounted above the TV.... a floodlamp hanging in the corner of your living room would seem to clash with the decor, but something by the TV wouldn't be too obvious.

I'm one of the last ones to ask about anything electric. It's all sort of black magic to me. That said, I use a battery powered LED over my reloading bench in my garage. I would bet you could find something with a remote that's bright, small, and unobtrusive.

My house is laid out weird because it's been built on to. It's sort of two houses attached to each other with a central kitchen. We leave the a light on in the kitchen which, combined with a few low level LEDs, make everything that's not a bedroom have enough ambient light to identify any potential intruders without needing another light source. It also has the advantage of not allowing anyone not in a bedroom to see into it without backlighting themselves, and even then unless they are using a light all they'll see is dark. It's not perfect, but it's pretty solid.

My aunt's house in GA has the perfect layout for defense, IMO. All of the bedrooms are on the second floor which is only accessible via a single central stair case. It's on a hill and over a walk out basement, making it very difficult for anyone but a ninja assassin team to gain access via a window. You can leave the bottom of the stairs lit without lighting the top. For a night time invasion, it's perfect.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You can get remote controls for your outlets. You plug them into the wall, leave the light or whatever turned on and plug it into the receiver. Then you use the remote to turn the power to the light on and off.

Top Bottom