• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Out away from the big metro areas in the counties a lot of departments impose fines for multiple false alarm calls. Scanner traffic often had officers driving across county to false alarms after thunderstorms, when there were real calls that needed attention.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Out away from the big metro areas in the counties a lot of departments impose fines for multiple false alarm calls. Scanner traffic often had officers driving across county to false alarms after thunderstorms, when there were real calls that needed attention.

Indianapolis does as well.

New alarm ordinance allows one free violation per year - TheIndyChannel.com Indianapolis, IN

Although the first responder can exempt it, such as in heavy thunderstorms or something else beyond the owner's control.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What Churchmouse said.

If I get home and need to clear the house because of an open door, and I know I had no family inside, I might call and wait on the police. That's what I consider a clearing situation, one where you sweep the house to make sure it's clear and someone being inside is the greatest danger.

I think what you have described is a defensive situation and waiting is not an option. I have not had to defend my home from an internal threat (though I have responded to the possibility on several occasions) and I have responded to external threats, no police were summoned or would have been able to get there in time (threat fled and never returned). We have since installed cameras and motion lights (we are fairly certain that it was the local ADT installer as his information was hanging on the garage door after an 'o' dark 30 door pounding; I don't think he/she expected a mag light .45 response).

Family inside changes everything. You can not afford to wait, nothing gets better with time in that situation.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Lot of good responses and there's not much to add but anyway...

The only point from which you can get ambushed in a hallway is from the end. Haul ass to be the first there and be able to control the next bend in your hallway.

As said up thread, team work would be invaluable to A)cover the hall and B)retrieve your son (fortunately he's too small to be able to panic and run out into possible crossfire).

Instead of both of you retreating to the master bedroom, it might make sense to hold the corner in your hallway and give yourself the possibility of defense in depth--say you need to retreat after ambushing the home invaders in the first part of the hall, you can present them with a 2nd funnel

Hemingway said gear is "supplemental"--but it's still important. a "tactical vest" or better yet, armor plate carrier with the pouches needed, would be a great way to grab&go

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Alarms answer by a company instead of dispatch make money for the company but they also gather information and also do not bother 911 with false alarms that can be solved. There are a number of reasons but one is to cut down on false alarms. Because false alarms are counter productive.

If someone is casing the place, trespassing, breaking in or thinking about breaking in, then I can reset their OODA loop by turning on outside lights, yelling the police have been called,(true or not) telling them to get off my property, I have a gun. Sometimes just letting them know they are not alone changes their game plan. If they come on ahead then you had better be ready for the next level.

Holing up and waiting does not reset any OODA loops. You may be working from a position of advantage.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Setting up an ambush, calling reinforcements (the cops), and then waiting is...pretty darned smart. I've done the exact same thing WHILE IN UNIFORM. There is nothing wrong, unmanly, or whatever to take every tactical advantage. Especially if you have no idea how many you are up against, etc. If the situation is contained and there's nobody directly threatened, there is no reason to go looking for trouble. Remember you aren't guaranteed a win. So you go out there and get dropped, who's next? Maybe they flee, maybe they finish off your family. You aren't a gorilla, you don't have to respond to every push at your territory. The homeowners who've waited and surprised the victims have been very successful. The homeowners who have moved to confront have been more mixed. Getting shot themselves, getting set upon and having their weapon taken, etc. When you lose surprise, you're making the fight more fair. Do you want a fair fight? Knowing what's at stake?

Push down the hall, retrieve your child, fall back to the bedroom. Even better, you push and hold the door while your wife gets the child, then fall back. There's no reason to clear the house if you really think someone is inside.

My results confronting folks have not been mixed.

Technically, I believe BBI was addressing people who are not gorillas. I'm just sayin'.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Lot of good responses and there's not much to add but anyway...

The only point from which you can get ambushed in a hallway is from the end. Haul ass to be the first there and be able to control the next bend in your hallway.

As said up thread, team work would be invaluable to A)cover the hall and B)retrieve your son (fortunately he's too small to be able to panic and run out into possible crossfire).

Instead of both of you retreating to the master bedroom, it might make sense to hold the corner in your hallway and give yourself the possibility of defense in depth--say you need to retreat after ambushing the home invaders in the first part of the hall, you can present them with a 2nd funnel

Hemingway said gear is "supplemental"--but it's still important. a "tactical vest" or better yet, armor plate carrier with the pouches needed, would be a great way to grab&go

I was thinking about that last night when my wife were walking through it, once I leave that location it is no longer secure, so for me there's no reason to give up that corner once I get there. Once she secures our son, she can move back to the bedroom. That puts as much distance as possible between my wife/son and the possibility of gunfire.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Alarms answer by a company instead of dispatch make money for the company but they also gather information and also do not bother 911 with false alarms that can be solved. There are a number of reasons but one is to cut down on false alarms. Because false alarms are counter productive.

If someone is casing the place, trespassing, breaking in or thinking about breaking in, then I can reset their OODA loop by turning on outside lights, yelling the police have been called,(true or not) telling them to get off my property, I have a gun. Sometimes just letting them know they are not alone changes their game plan. If they come on ahead then you had better be ready for the next level.

Holing up and waiting does not reset any OODA loops. You may be working from a position of advantage.

b699c801bafe77a4dddc5355634d48038f6f6560504b705fe08a318b497c54a7.jpg

I was thinking about that last night when my wife were walking through it, once I leave that location it is no longer secure, so for me there's no reason to give up that corner once I get there. Once she secures our son, she can move back to the bedroom. That puts as much distance as possible between my wife/son and the possibility of gunfire.

:yesway:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Technically, I believe BBI was addressing people who are not gorillas. I'm just sayin'.
    I see what you did there.

I am down to a slim 277 as of this morning. If this trend continues I may have to start being nicer to people, and use sneakier tactics.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see what you did there.

I am down to a slim 277 as of this morning. If this trend continues I may have to start being nicer to people, and use sneakier tactics.

Whoa! What is happening? Did you change your policy on dieting?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So, I've read the entire thread, and didn't see any mention of one of the best resources to avoid ever having to clear the house in the first place......a dog/dogs. We have two large dogs, that seriously hate visitors to our home. I'm very confident that any threat attempting to enter the house will meet with heavy resistance, and at least be slowed way down in their efforts to get in, and that's before the threat even gets to me or my family. I can't imagine ever living without my dogs.

Top Bottom