• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Jackson nailed it. You dont need to clear the house. Just advance to your kid's room and hold the hallway from there.

Have another alarm keypad installed in your bedroom. That keypad should* give you warning where the threat is. That will give you insight as to what is going on. Knowing what zone/ entry point alarmed will give you an idea where the potential threat is, and whether it is likely or not. Front door? OK, maybe. Upstairs window that would require a ladder to reach and you didnt hear glass breaking first? Maybe not as likely to be a real alarm. Either way knowing the source will help dictate your exact response. (and from what direction the threat will advance on you from)

One other benefit to the alarm is that when that siren goes off, unless somebody REALLY wants to harm you, they wont make it past the entry point, assuming you choose armed/stay(instant) not armed/away(Entry delay) They are going to hear that siren and un-ass the area because it is calling too much attention and they dont want to be caught.

Also, make sure your zones are timed properly. You dont want a window or motion sensor on the same delay as an entry door. Cant unlock the patio slider from the outside? It should be on an instant alarm not an entry delay. just like your windows and motions.

*Proper professionally installed alarm. Not all alarms have this function.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    When thinking about the hallway as a funnel remember it is a funnel for both the intruder and you. Make your plan accordingly.

If I'm reading your diagram correctly, there is a 90 degree turn from the main area to your room, but it's a straight shot from the main area to your son's room.
    Just for a thought, if you were to add a flood light on the corner at the 90 degree turn so that it shines down the hallway away from your son's room into the main area. Perhaps have the switch close to your end of the hall. This would enable you to get into your son's room behind the cover of light and you all could stay put there while police are called.

I like the idea of a switch rather than motion detector. Then you control when the shock factor of blinding light occurs, after you are awake, armed and ready. No time for the intruder's eyes to adjust.

Can you put one of those convex mirrors up in the corner of the ceiling so you can see around the corner. You know it's there, it's blocked from intruders use by light. Not sure you will be able to use it in the dark with the spotlight on. Just a thought that would need tested.

I usually have a gun with me when clearing my house not a bear.

Gun = Weapon
    Bear = Weapon, Cover, Concealment, Warm Blanket

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I preface the following with I live in the country and have for most of my life.

I like the idea of WML on my handgun so that I can deal with folks in the house that should not be there. I can use the spill while searching the home or moving if I need light, and not point the gun at a family member. Any mounted light has the chance to not be shining where I need it shined. A light on my gun can shine where I need it to and show me the threat and the sights. The power can be out, and then you have no light. So I don't like to depend on hard wired lights. SHTF when things are already out of kilter.

I don't like the idea of calling the police until I know the need is there. Many bumps in the night are nothing serious, but you have to be prepared for it being serious every time. If I am home I am going to deal with the situation and will call the police afterward if the situation warrants. I have investigated way too many things over the years that were nothing, or did not need police involvement. If I had called the police every time something went on I think they would stop coming. Sometimes when I have called the response time has been 45 minutes to hours. The thin blue line is very thin.

My advice is being skilled with your handgun, make sure it works, have a plan and keep it simple, and don't be overly conservative or cautious. Being overly cautious can make you tentative and that is not good in any endeavor. Get the kid, retreat to your room. Then decide what to do. If no family member is being threatened then there is no need to do anything fast. Use all of your senses, and trust your gut.

You had a bad sensor. Fix it. You are now thinking about the whole situation which is a good thing. Do what you think is best. But don't get over the top crazy. Hardware will not be very useful if you cannot perform in the worst case, and that seems lost upstream to a certain extent. We carry guns because when seconds count the cops are at least minutes away. So I am a little surprised about all this call the cops and wait.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I preface the following with I live in the country and have for most of my life.

We carry guns because when seconds count the cops are at least minutes away. So I am a little surprised about all this call the cops and wait.

I am not surprised at all. It is becoming more the norm as to mindset. In a society that is heavy on lawsuits and legal actions on those who will stand their ground I get it. I do not agree but I get it.

There have been a lot of things we all have had happen that are not openly shared in here. 1 reason is the impending dog pile.
    To each in their own time/ability's.
    If I am awakened then I am going to go and look. Always have and always will. In the past we had older neighbors that would call us when they were frightened. We always went and looked. Never thought twice about it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I absolutely cannot sit and wait with him out there, and I've been considering that for some time. I was kicking myself last night after the fact that I hadn't actively done more about it in the months leading up to his arrival.

I thought that being awake may be an issue, but I felt like I went from 0-100 instantly. I was probably still a little slow but the adrenaline was very high.

I'm talking with my wife about it today when I get home, but wanted to see what you guys had to say in the meantime.

Make a plan .....

PRACTICE it during the daylight hours ..... even if only on weekends .....

Study each other, and point out possible errors .....

When you think it is "perfect" .....

Then practice it at night, till you can't get it wrong .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

Safeguard the child, at all cost .....

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside

I like the idea of WML on my handgun so that I can deal with folks in the house that should not be there. I can use the spill while searching the home or moving if I need light, and not point the gun at a family member. Any mounted light has the chance to not be shining where I need it shined. A light on my gun can shine where I need it to and show me the threat and the sights. The power can be out, and then you have no light. So I don't like to depend on hard wired lights. SHTF when things are already out of kilter.

I don't like the idea of calling the police until I know the need is there. Many bumps in the night are nothing serious, but you have to be prepared for it being serious every time. If I am home I am going to deal with the situation and will call the police afterward if the situation warrants. I have investigated way too many things over the years that were nothing, or did not need police involvement. If I had called the police every time something went on I think they would stop coming. Sometimes when I have called the response time has been 45 minutes to hours. The thin blue line is very thin.

My advice is being skilled with your handgun, make sure it works, have a plan and keep it simple, and don't be overly conservative or cautious. Being overly cautious can make you tentative and that is not good in any endeavor. Get the kid, retreat to your room. Then decide what to do. If no family member is being threatened then there is no need to do anything fast. Use all of your senses, and trust your gut.

You had a bad sensor. Fix it. You are now thinking about the whole situation which is a good thing. Do what you think is best. But don't get over the top crazy. Hardware will not be very useful if you cannot perform in the worst case, and that seems lost upstream to a certain extent...

I need a WML, just have put it off to pursue other things.

After I came back after 'clearing' the main area (I quote to ensure everyone I'm not trying to be SWAT), my wife asked if we should have called 911. I didn't think so, because I feel like a call after something has happened is just as effective as a call before, the only difference being the time in which they respond...but either way, whatever is going to have happened will be over with by the time they get there.

...We carry guns because when seconds count the cops are at least minutes away. So I am a little surprised about all this call the cops and wait.

I think 'call the cops and wait' reaction comes from either not having to leave the room to get/protect a loved one and/or being self aware enough to know that clearing a house without proper training is putting yourself in more danger than staying put. If your goal is to defend you and your family, and your only family is in the room with you, leaving the room to defend your things may not be a priority...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You may want to consider a motion sensor light independent of the alarm system that will daylight the hell out of the area beyond the hallway while leaving it in a shadow so that you are not lit up yourself. That will not only give you a tactical advantage, but it will be lit up if and only if something is moving outside of your defended zone.

I like this as well as numerous outside motion lights to show you if there has been actual outside activity and where. Tie in battery powered/solar charging lighting and you have a fairly fool proof package.

It'd take a very determined burglar to target you, if they faced a sea of motion sensed light from every corner of your house/property. You would have to give them serious reason. Not to mention the neighbors being alerted. At least I know I pay attention when I notice my neighbors motion lights are on.

Cameras are pretty cheap also. Really cheap if you can live without sophisticated stuff. Home network, webcams looking out windows, at the front/back doors, etc. Having some video to review of what turned on your outdoor motion lighting could be quite helpful, even if it wasn't an attempted break in or casing of such.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am not surprised at all. It is becoming more the norm as to mindset. In a society that is heavy on lawsuits and legal actions on those who will stand their ground I get it. I do not agree but I get it.

There have been a lot of things we all have had happen that are not openly shared in here. 1 reason is the impending dog pile.
    If I am awakened then I am going to go and look. Always have and always will. In the past we had older neighbors that would call us when they were frightened. We always went and looked. Never thought twice about it.
    Amen

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    similar situation here. kids' rooms at top of stairs, then down hall to our room. I will push out and make the top of the stairs / their doors my Alamo.
    Then, if possible/necessary, all retreat back.

-rvb

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I tend to agree. However, thats what the police are there for. If you hear a bump in the night and its scares you enough to grab your firearm and slowly start pie corners of all rooms of your house. you know it may be prudent to call them. Many of the police that I have talked to said they wouldnt mind getting the call and it turn out to be nothing.

I personally think that have an alarm going off at 3am (given its a local alarm) and doesnt go automatically to dispatch, is sutiable for a phone call. Especially if its a simple call that also helps in any litigation if it is needed.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tend to agree. However, thats what the police are there for. If you hear a bump in the night and its scares you enough to grab your firearm and slowly start pie corners of all rooms of your house. you know it may be prudent to call them. Many of the police that I have talked to said they wouldnt mind getting the call and it turn out to be nothing.

I personally think that have an alarm going off at 3am (given its a local alarm) and doesnt go automatically to dispatch, is sutiable for a phone call. Especially if its a simple call that also helps in any litigation if it is needed.

Like I said....to each in their time/training.
    We do not deal drugs or traffic in stolen goods so the chances of a home invasion while not totally out are much lower than if we were into nefarious things.
    That said we did catch and contain a whacked out nut job years ago in the house behind us. Kept him contained until LEO arrived and snatched him up. They had been looking for him. The lady of the house came home and went inside with her 3 girls only to surprise him in the hallway. Scared her into moving. She came out the back door kids in tow screaming like a smashed cat. She was pointing in the house so we cleared the fence and went inside. Call our actions what you will but there was no issues containing him once it was apparent he was not armed. LEO was happy to have him in custody.

We grew up scrapping so confrontation is really 2nd nature. To some it is not and as mentioned, respond/react as you see fit. Comfort levels ETC. and no knock from me. Protect your loved ones at all costs. Alamo was a great reference up thread. Sounds like he has a plan in place. So do we.

Put a plan together. Assign tasks. Get some training if you have a HD firearm. Talk to Coach or any of the other very qualified instructors that are in this forum. Get the spouse involved. Seriously. Do it as you are not there 24/7.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Setting up an ambush, calling reinforcements (the cops), and then waiting is...pretty darned smart. I've done the exact same thing WHILE IN UNIFORM. There is nothing wrong, unmanly, or whatever to take every tactical advantage. Especially if you have no idea how many you are up against, etc. If the situation is contained and there's nobody directly threatened, there is no reason to go looking for trouble. Remember you aren't guaranteed a win. So you go out there and get dropped, who's next? Maybe they flee, maybe they finish off your family. You aren't a gorilla, you don't have to respond to every push at your territory. The homeowners who've waited and surprised the victims have been very successful. The homeowners who have moved to confront have been more mixed. Getting shot themselves, getting set upon and having their weapon taken, etc. When you lose surprise, you're making the fight more fair. Do you want a fair fight? Knowing what's at stake?

Push down the hall, retrieve your child, fall back to the bedroom. Even better, you push and hold the door while your wife gets the child, then fall back. There's no reason to clear the house if you really think someone is inside.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Setting up an ambush, calling reinforcements (the cops), and then waiting is...pretty darned smart. I've done the exact same thing WHILE IN UNIFORM. There is nothing wrong, unmanly, or whatever to take every tactical advantage. Especially if you have no idea how many you are up against, etc. If the situation is contained and there's nobody directly threatened, there is no reason to go looking for trouble. Remember you aren't guaranteed a win. So you go out there and get dropped, who's next? Maybe they flee, maybe they finish off your family. You aren't a gorilla, you don't have to respond to every push at your territory. The homeowners who've waited and surprised the victims have been very successful. The homeowners who have moved to confront have been more mixed. Getting shot themselves, getting set upon and having their weapon taken, etc. When you lose surprise, you're making the fight more fair. Do you want a fair fight? Knowing what's at stake?

Push down the hall, retrieve your child, fall back to the bedroom. Even better, you push and hold the door while your wife gets the child, then fall back. There's no reason to clear the house if you really think someone is inside.

My results confronting folks have not been mixed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder why all alarms do not go directly to dispatch?

Easiest question I've had all day. $10/month monitoring fee, minimum. Some big names like ADT charge $35+.

Many people dont want the contract nor the $120-$500/year cost. They just want the noisemaker.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder why all alarms do not go directly to dispatch?

Volume. Most alarm trips are cancelled by keypad before they ever get dispatched to the police.

Note that in some small towns you could have your alarm go directly to dispatch if you were a business, bank, etc.

Top Bottom