• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I'm getting the itch to SBR my AK or perhaps an AR in the future. What are the odds of getting a CLEO in Lake County? I live in Hammond and at least two police officers did not know that the Indiana LTCH allows open carry so I'm not real positive on the current CLEO here to be good on NFA stuff.

I know about the NFA Trust route and realize that is an option if the CLEO is difficult.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you live within Hammond, I believe its the Hammond chief that signs off, not the county sheriff. Don't know what its like, but I can ask my sisters boyfriend if he knows, he works for the Hammond PD.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    If you live within Hammond, I believe its the Hammond chief that signs off, not the county sheriff. Don't know what its like, but I can ask my sisters boyfriend if he knows, he works for the Hammond PD.

Thanks, might also check to see if they FINALLY know that OC is allowed with the LTCH lol

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Lake County has a sign about Hammond, Gary, East Chicago, etc about NOT going there for your LTCH. That said everyone that I know went the Trust route because the CLEO wouldn't sign off. Frankly if I still lived in Hammond (did many years ago) I would go the trust route just so the HPD didn't know I had NFA weapons.

Last edited:

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    CLEO LC

After I got my first F4 my chief refused to sign again, so I went to LCSD
    and my Dealer was good friends with him,he signed 3 after that. I understand the city ord's in Gary/Whiting it is illegal to own a semi-
    auto AW in these cities. The only 2 cities in In as far as I know.
    Good luck

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Lake County has a sign about Hammond, Gary, East Chicago, etc about NOT going there for your LTCH. That said everyone that I know went the Trust route because the CLEO wouldn't sign off. Frankly if I still lived in Hammond (did many years ago) I would go the trust route just so the HPD didn't know I had NFA weapons.

Not sure what you mean about the LTCH. I had no trouble getting mine in Hammond except having to make an appointment.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    and my Dealer was good friends with him,he signed 3 after that. I understand the city ord's in Gary/Whiting it is illegal to own a semi-
    auto AW in these cities. The only 2 cities in In as far as I know.
    Good luck

I didnt know Gary/Whiting had odinances against "assault weapons". I thought IN state pre-empted such things unless they were grandfathered and/or that's only for handguns.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Not sure what you mean about the LTCH. I had no trouble getting mine in Hammond except having to make an appointment.
    What I'm saying is the Lake County Sheriff will not service you for a LTCH if your from Gary, Hammond, East Chicago...Likewise on the CLEO signing off on a form 1 or 4.

The Hammond CLEO is fine for LTCH, but ask him about a silencer or machine gun and you will most likely get shot down.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    What I'm saying is the Lake County Sheriff will not service you for a LTCH if your from Gary, Hammond, East Chicago...Likewise on the CLEO signing off on a form 1 or 4.

The Hammond CLEO is fine for LTCH, but ask him about a silencer or machine gun and you will most likely get shot down.

Not service? How does that not run afoul of Indiana being a shall issue state??

Looks like I'll be saving up for a proper NFA trust first. Such is life.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Not service? How does that not run afoul of Indiana being a shall issue state??

Looks like I'll be saving up for a proper NFA trust first. Such is life.

I will take a photo of the paper sign they have next time I'm there, not sure if it said "service" or how it was worded, they did say something to the effect if Lake County PD doesn't answer your PD calls, blah, blah, blah.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    What about other towns like cedar lake? Do i go to the sheriff or my local pd for the sign off? Besides its just a sign off that they are aware or me owning it not permition correct? If so wouldnt not signing have legal recourse?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What about other towns like cedar lake? Do i go to the sheriff or my local pd for the sign off? Besides its just a sign off that they are aware or me owning it not permition correct? If so wouldnt not signing have legal recourse?

In other towns like Cedar Lake, if you are within city limits and not in an unincorporated part of town, you would go to your local police department and have the chief sign off. I'm pretty sure Cedar Lake is good to go, though I'm not 100% sure.

I live in Crown Point and just had my chief sign off on my 4th NFA item. First time around, I sent him an email explaining what I wanted and how the sign-off was just stating that he has no knowledge that I would use the item to commit crimes and that I'm not in violation of state and local laws. I also told him that i was a C&R license holder and an LTCH holder. He replied that he would sign.

As far as legal recourse for not signing, there is none in Indiana. It's up to the chief. There are other people you can use, such as a district attorney who prosecutes felonies. I know in TN there is a law on the books that states unless the person would be prohibited by law from posssessing NFA, the CLEO has 30 days to sign off or something like that.

If you have something in the works, I would just call or email the Cedar Lake PD and find out what the procedures are.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    In other towns like Cedar Lake, if you are within city limits and not in an unincorporated part of town, you would go to your local police department and have the chief sign off. I'm pretty sure Cedar Lake is good to go, though I'm not 100% sure.

I live in Crown Point and just had my chief sign off on my 4th NFA item. First time around, I sent him an email explaining what I wanted and how the sign-off was just stating that he has no knowledge that I would use the item to commit crimes and that I'm not in violation of state and local laws. I also told him that i was a C&R license holder and an LTCH holder. He replied that he would sign.

As far as legal recourse for not signing, there is none in Indiana. It's up to the chief. There are other people you can use, such as a district attorney who prosecutes felonies. I know in TN there is a law on the books that states unless the person would be prohibited by law from posssessing NFA, the CLEO has 30 days to sign off or something like that.

If you have something in the works, I would just call or email the Cedar Lake PD and find out what the procedures are.

Glad i can go though clpd then. They are pretty cool about stuff.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    auto AW in these cities.
    The only 2 cities in In as far as I know.
    Good luck

I didnt know Gary/Whiting had odinances against "assault weapons". I thought IN state pre-empted such things unless they were grandfathered and/or that's only for handguns.

Not fully correct 8th SPS USAF.
    There are only 2 cities in Indiana that have a ban on "assault weapons"
    1) City of East Chicago
    2) City of Gary

See here for more details on how the City of East Chicago got grandfathered aikidoka.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...go_can_i_oc_on_my_property-2.html#post1343398

That link also gives you the latest update on City of Gary.
    As of MAR 2011 the city has yet to release the updated complied city ordinance. Suspect that in that ordinance their "assault ban" is NO MORE since they misses (for all the research I can see) the deadline to be grandfathered.

Welcome to INGO
    ---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS

Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    19 MAR 2011 - MEET & SHOOT
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_19_mar_2011_a.html

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The NFATCA (National Firearms Act Trade & Collectors Assoc.) reported that the ATF has submitted a package to the DOJ to do away with the CLEO sign-off. That doesn't necessarily mean that Justice will act on it. I sure hope they do. It's hard to imagine that any department in this administration would make it easier for folks to acquire ANYTHING related to firearms let alone NFA, but we can hope. I think the wheels would probably turn slow on this, as changing the rules takes time.

I think the CLEO signoff is obsolete in these days of instant NICS checks and the like, though the whole process seems obsolete. I would love to see fellow collector's not have to jump through hoops to exercise a 2A right.

Top Bottom