• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The NFATCA (National Firearms Act Trade & Collectors Assoc.) reported that the ATF has submitted a package to the DOJ to do away with the CLEO sign-off. That doesn't necessarily mean that Justice will act on it. I sure hope they do. It's hard to imagine that any department in this administration would make it easier for folks to acquire ANYTHING related to firearms let alone NFA, but we can hope. I think the wheels would probably turn slow on this, as changing the rules takes time.

I think the CLEO signoff is obsolete in these days of instant NICS checks and the like, though the whole process seems obsolete. I would love to see fellow collector's not have to jump through hoops to exercise a 2A right.
    Even if they remove the sign-off, you still have to "jump through hoops to exercise a 2A right" because you're still dealing with the paper work, tax, and wait time.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Even if they remove the sign-off, you still have to "jump through hoops to exercise a 2A right" because you're still dealing with the paper work, tax, and wait time.

I read somewhere else that removing the sign off would be replaced by informing the CLEO of the transfer.

I'm strongly considering the trust route due to the hassle of getting a sign off but also privacy, also, so my future wife can be in the trust and avoid legal hassles having access to any NFA I acquire.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    NFA Trust lawyer I would recommend:
    Timothy E. Kalamaros
    1117 Lincoln Way West
    Mishawaka, IN 46544
    (574) 257-4802.
    He is the NW Indiana contact for David Goldman, who runs the GunTrustLawyer.com website from Jacksonville, Fl. He did an excellent job setting up my trust and you can do it over the phone. Then they send you the trust paperwork and you execute it by signing it and having it witnessed (2 people) and notarized. Then you send a copy back for the lawyers' files and you're set.
    If you live in a different area you can contact David Goldman @ (904)685-1200 or his GunTrustLawyer.com site and he can put you in touch with a lawyer in your area. You need an attorney who is experienced in the peculiarities of trust law in your state, and NFA trusts in particular, in order to avoid the common pitfalls of self-generated trusts and ill-informed lawyers.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    NFA Trust lawyer I would recommend:​

Timothy E. Kalamaros
    1117 Lincoln Way West
    Mishawaka, IN 46544
    (574) 257-4802.​

He is the NW Indiana contact for David Goldman, who runs the GunTrustLawyer.com website from Jacksonville, Fl. He did an excellent job setting up my trust and you can do it over the phone. Then they send you the trust paperwork and you execute it by signing it and having it witnessed (2 people) and notarized. Then you send a copy back for the lawyers' files and you're set.
    If you live in a different area you can contact David Goldman @ (904)685-1200 or his GunTrustLawyer.com site and he can put you in touch with a lawyer in your area. You need an attorney who is experienced in the peculiarities of trust law in your state, and NFA trusts in particular, in order to avoid the common pitfalls of self-generated trusts and ill-informed lawyers.

Should one go through Goldman or just contact Kalamaros directly?

Top Bottom