Climate change legit after all! Who woulda thunk it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Somebody say narwhals?

[video=youtube;wbby9coDRCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbby9coDRCk&app=desktop[/video]

Awesome. Still not as awesome as Badgers:

[video=youtube;EIyixC9NsLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI[/video]
    (Narwals is still playing in the background :rockwoot:)

Why do you worry yourself over what Al Gore does?

The science, as much as it pains people, clearly shows that the climate is trending in a particular direction. The extent to which human activity influences that is less clear, but jealousy over what your neighbor can do isn't relevant in any way.

I was taught in the Military, to LEAD by example, when HE turns off his lights, then I will too .....

He tells us that we are responsible for global warming due to excessive carbon output. He then leaves all the lights on in his mansion and then jet sets around the world in a private jet that you have to assume is nowhere NEAR full. Lead by example. (not to forget the ecological kerfuffle when somebody leaked his water bill during a drought. He wastes water too as it was higher than even a golf course's)

And in the 70s they saw the pattern as cooling and were ready to spread soot over the ice caps to increase temps.
    Scientists Considered Pouring Soot Over the Arctic in the 1970s to Help Melt the Ice - In Order to Prevent Another Ice Age

I remember back in the day scientists making a huge deal about some giant volcano erupting. They were monitoring the greenhouse gasses it was spewing and noted that it was spewing more than humans could produce in a lifetime. Yet All these volcanoes arent the cause, its the humans who put out a fraction of the gasses that are causing it. :rolleyes:

I'm not doubting we are warming (and cooling) Its what the earth does. Look at history. I just have yet to see convincing proof that humans are the cause. Couple that with the money being made on it by those pushing it the hardest, and you cant help but wonder how legit it is.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    According to Gore and all the other so called scientists, wasn't New York and several other coastal cities supposed to be under water by now. Huh, wonder why that hasn't happened. Hopefully Commiefornias new law on regulating cow farts will fix the issue of "global warming" oops i mean "climate change" Apply purple where you personally think it should be. Don't wanna offend anyone and send them off to their "safe space" I for one don't buy into it! But thats just me!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just finished reading "Unstoppable Global Warming (every 1500 years)" by S. Fred Singer and Dennis T. Avery; Rowman&Littlefield Publishers Inc.; 2007. Referring to research that's been done, they make a compelling case that:

Earth's climate is connected to levels of solar activity

There is a 1500 year cycle of cooling&warming in between ice ages

Most of the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from oceanic evaporation

The computer models used to claim that the climate is irreversibly warming are badly flawed

Politics has begun to corrupt science with grants to produce politically correct research

Many of the surface thermometers cited as proof of warming are located in areas overrun by development are now in urban heat sinks.

Bottom line is the science is not "settled"

Never mind all that, most any child knows that the planet has been warmer--like when dinosaurs instead of people ruled the planet--and that the climate, like the weather, isn't static. Being good stewards of the planet is one thing, but being manipulated into living like luddites while gore makes gobs of cash trading in "carbon credits" because of fluctuations of several degrees in the temperature, is ridiculous

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Awesome. Still not as awesome as Badgers:

[video=youtube;EIyixC9NsLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI[/video]
    (Narwals is still playing in the background :rockwoot:)

He tells us that we are responsible for global warming due to excessive carbon output. He then leaves all the lights on in his mansion and then jet sets around the world in a private jet that you have to assume is nowhere NEAR full. Lead by example. (not to forget the ecological kerfuffle when somebody leaked his water bill during a drought. He wastes water too as it was higher than even a golf course's)

And in the 70s they saw the pattern as cooling and were ready to spread soot over the ice caps to increase temps.
    Scientists Considered Pouring Soot Over the Arctic in the 1970s to Help Melt the Ice - In Order to Prevent Another Ice Age

I remember back in the day scientists making a huge deal about some giant volcano erupting. They were monitoring the greenhouse gasses it was spewing and noted that it was spewing more than humans could produce in a lifetime. Yet All these volcanoes arent the cause, its the humans who put out a fraction of the gasses that are causing it. :rolleyes:

I'm not doubting we are warming (and cooling) Its what the earth does. Look at history. I just have yet to see convincing proof that humans are the cause. Couple that with the money being made on it by those pushing it the hardest, and you cant help but wonder how legit it is.

I also remember the global "cooling" scare.
    Funny how everyone else has forgotten it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    there's a hole in the ozone layer! :runaway:

Big Mac boxes and hairspray are KILLING US! :runaway:

Wait... now we have TOO MUCH ozone! Don't mow your lawn until 11pm, only drive electric cars downhill :runaway:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    there's a hole in the ozone layer! :runaway:

Big Mac boxes and hairspray are KILLING US! :runaway:

Wait... now we have TOO MUCH ozone! Don't mow your lawn until 11pm, only drive electric cars downhill :runaway:

We want ozone way up high. It blocks UVC rays so that we don't all get skin cancer.

But it's quite the oxidant, and so we really don't want to breathe it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We want ozone way up high. It blocks UVC rays so that we don't all get skin cancer.

But it's quite the oxidant, and so we really don't want to breathe it.

And yet my hot tub has an ozone generator. I breathe that all the dang time. Fortunately I am usually eating dark chocolate in the tub so I get the anti-oxidant action too.

side note: have you ever used a hot tub as a giant fondue pot? Just float the pails of chocolate around and go to town

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    And yet my hot tub has an ozone generator. I breathe that all the dang time.

Oxidation is how contaminants are removed from the water. Ozone and chlorine work for the same purpose. In fact, the ozone is so reactive that it replaces the chlorine in combined chlorine atoms, which lets less chlorine be more effective.

But just like you don't want to breathe in chlorine, you don't want to breathe ozone. You want it to stay in the water and combine with contaminants to clean the water.

(I'm not an expert at many things, but I have my certification for pools and spas.)

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    CFCs and HCFCs were phased out in the US because the ozone layer had a hole in it. Now the hole in the ozone layer is healing ahead of schedule - even though CFCs and HCFCs are still being used in the majority of the world. It is like the hole was just cyclical and we were duped into getting rid of cheap and efficient refrigerants. We had been using these refrigerants for 60 years with no apparent effect on the climate - even though they were relatively high in GWP.

Now, the refrigerants we replaced CFCs/HCFCs with have lost their patent protection and coincidentally (or not) those refrigerants are being phased out in favor of very expensive low-GWP alternatives. Refrigerants play less than 2% (according to EPA) of a part on global warming, but we are being forced to give up HFCs (one way of the other) in favor of very expensive low-GWP refrigerants.

There are many ways to make the AC units that we all have much more energy efficient and less of a burden on global warming instead of changing to these other refrigerants. Those fixes are being ignored and the favor has gone in the direction of refrigerants that are $85/lb to the contractor. There isn't enough money to be made from efficiency fixes. There is a lot of money to be made by changing refrigerants and, in turn, changing the equipment that uses these old refrigerants.

I have been following global warming history for close to 10 years. There have been many things that make me suspicious enough to make me believe that global warming could be a government supported lie.

I am not a birther. I don't believe the government flew the planes into the WTC. I don't believe there were two shooters. I do believe EPA global warming regulations make enough money for huge businesses that they could be faked. I also believe that if you indoctrinate enough people to believe that global warming is true, you can drown out the people trying to point out the inconsistencies in the global warming theory and the scientific practices that we have used to come to this conclusion.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey increased carbon dioxide has had the wonderful benefit of greening the planet.
    Plant life has flourished lately.... save the forests was the code of the eco warriors while I was growing up.
    Seems like a good thing? More plants, more oxygen.
    Can someone convince me warming is a bad thing? It's good for life on all levels. Ever see corn growing on a glacier?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Climate change is real. Global average temperatures are rising.

Facts aren't political.

Global average temperatures have been rising since at least 18,000 years ago. Depending on the geologic text you wish to reference, 25,000 to 18,000 years ago was the peak of the Wisconsinan Ice Age and the future location of Indianapolis had an ice sheet a mile thick covering it at that time. That ice sheet was completely melted away by 10,000 years ago. Things have been steadily warming ever since, punctuated by shorter and less extreme periods of warming and cooling. In Earth's history, many ice ages have come and gone. Interglacial warm periods have come and gone, including a couple where there was no ice anywhere on Earth. Mini ice ages and warm periods have come and gone. All this change happened without ANY influence from human activity, yet I'm supposed to believe that "this time it's different"? The idea of anthropogenic (human caused) climate change is absurd once you understand geologic history. Dive into the geochemistry and geophysics and things get even better. When Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, that single eruption released more climate altering chemicals and particulate into the atmosphere in one shot than all of mankind has since the Industrial Revolution. I will point out that this massive dump into the atmosphere had only minor, short-lived and well-documented effects. Spread out a smaller amount over a large stretch of time (all human releases since the Industrial Revolution) and the effect is negligible - a drop in an ocean. In addition to our minor contribution, volcanoes erupt every day all over the globe and yet even when it's all combined, the effects of atmospheric chemistry get completely overshadowed by changes in solar output and variations in the Earth's orbit (which are the real and perfectly natural drivers of climate change). The bottom line is that human activity or lack of activity can't meaningfully change the climate. Climate change has happened throughout the history of the Earth and it will continue to change no matter what we do or don't do - we wouldn't be able to change it one way or the other even if we wanted to. The word "hubris" comes to mind.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Hey increased carbon dioxide has had the wonderful benefit of greening the planet.
    Plant life has flourished lately.... save the forests was the code of the eco warriors while I was growing up.
    Seems like a good thing? More plants, more oxygen.
    Can someone convince me warming is a bad thing? It's good for life on all levels. Ever see corn growing on a glacier?

Spot on. Geologic history even has past analogs in the Pennsylvanian and Cretaceous time periods when it was warmer and carbon dioxide levels were higher - the result was higher biologic productivity compared to other eras. If you look at current biologic productivity (and diversity!), the most productive and diverse areas are those around the equator where it is warmest. There are some who predict that a warmer climate and more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would actually be beneficial for human civilization because fewer people would be starving to death. There would be longer growing seasons for crops, crops would be more productive (the effects of increased carbon dioxide on crops has been studied at Purdue), and the increased energy in the atmosphere would mean that precipitation would occur more often (negating and possibly surpassing the drying effect of higher temperatures). I wonder what the net effect of a warmer climate would be on the amount of cold weather-related deaths vs. heat-related deaths? (Edited to add: remember not just freezing to death, but cold weather-related, so take into account the increased sickness rates and car accident rates associated with cold weather).

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, that single eruption released more climate altering chemicals and particulate into the atmosphere in one shot than all of mankind has since the Industrial Revolution.

This is completely inaccurate. Total CO2 discharge from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption was 50 million tonnes (50,000,000). Total SO2 discharge was 20 million tonnes (20,000,000). (The SO2 caused the short-term effects.)

Total CO2 discharge from humans in 2010 was 35 billion tonnes (35,000,000,000). That's 700 times as much as Mt. Pinatubo.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/gas_climate.html

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This is completely inaccurate. Total CO2 discharge from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption was 50 million tonnes (50,000,000). Total SO2 discharge was 20 million tonnes (20,000,000). (The SO2 caused the short-term effects.)
    Still wondering how they measured something accurately that they can't get close to like a volcano. Just curious.
    Total CO2 discharge from humans in 2010 was 35 billion tonnes (35,000,000,000). That's 700 times as much as Mt. Pinatubo.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/gas_climate.html
    Y

Top Bottom