• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I guess the "wanna buy an AR,, huh" thread got me going.

I am wondering what the guys with CMMG's thought of this product,,,,, i have read that thread top to bottom twice now..

re: the CMMG,, ,anything to stay away from or be aware of or look at for?

I plan on using it for 50-100 yard shooting.

I can pick up a used CMMG upper (1k rounds thru it) 16" length lightweight profile, mid length gas, full auto carrier, MP tested bolt with a LMT bolt for $400

Then I would order a new CMMG lower to mate up to it.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I used to have one. Sold it awhile back for no real negative reasons. Some of the things I noticed was the finish of the cmmg rifle wasn't as high quality as some of the other brands like yankee hills or rock river or even stag. My upper's finish was slighlty duller then the lower, both were cmmg products. As far as function, I never had any issues with it other then it sometimes didn't like cheap ammo aka steel cased stuff. I had a cheap tasco scope on it but I still hit decent groups out to 200 yds. I don't have any technical reason for selling it other then the finish annoyed me and an old friend happened to show up at the range I was at, seen it and offer me close to what I had in it. With that said, my reccomendation would be to save up a tad more and get something like a stag, rock river or even dpms. Now if you plan to duracoat it or paint it up, then I say yeah, go for it. Depends on what's important to you. Also, im not an expert on ar upper prices currently but 400 for a used cmmg upper with an estimated 1000rd through it seems high to me, I only paid 570 for my old cmmg complete when new and I think some online stores are selling dpms uppers for just a few bucks more brand new. If its that close in price, id just go new

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I have one on a RR lower I built, I've got no complaints with it. I was concerned about accuracy, but put a aimpoint on it and improved my groups a lot so the problem is between the trigger and the ground.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Thanks guys, I cant find anynoe that has an issue with them, but on the other hand, I dont see a ton of people using them either.

If the $400 uppper is not that great of a deal, then I may as well buy new parts.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    AR lower

I like the bargain bin thing, but it scares me to not know what the lower I would get

The lower is the least important part of an AR. As long as it's in spec. It won't affect the accuracy of the rifle in any way. The stamping may be different but that's a personal preference.

Not saying you should get the CMMG bargain rifles. It's just that you don't really need to worry about the brand of the lower.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    cmmg is good quality. they test their barrels properly. the part you would not want to be cmmg would be the bolt. go with a lmt, colt, or bravo bolt. other that that they are good to go.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    cmmg is good quality. they test their barrels properly. the part you would not want to be cmmg would be the bolt. go with a lmt, colt, or bravo bolt. other that that they are good to go.

Thanks for the info everyone, I think I will hold out a little longer and buy a complete rifle. I thought $400 was a deal but looking around I can get a new upper for $475

dudish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    i just picked up an cmmg upper for 350 at the knob creek show this weekend. brand new, with bcg. great price for a great upper. very happy with the purchase. came with the nitrate finish which i like. look around, you may come across some killer deals.

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    I had a chance to get a 16 inch from them for 200 but it was dealer cost

i just picked up an cmmg upper for 350 at the knob creek show this weekend. brand new, with bcg. great price for a great upper. very happy with the purchase. came with the nitrate finish which i like. look around, you may come across some killer deals.

Top Bottom